Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Keithus

Default Re: Hey Gang something fell through the cracks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
Maybe the Ghost Army can have phase shifting or teleportation powers.
I seem to remember an invisible unit in the old Metagaming 'Ice Wars".
Keithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
J. Durr

Maybe you can't get an X result on a Ghost unit unless you use a proton accelerator.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
Maybe you can't get an X result on a Ghost unit unless you use a proton accelerator.
Infantry are all armed with proton packs/positron colliders and neutrona wands . . .

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
ColBosch

Ghost Units

Use glow-in-the-dark miniatures to represent ghost units. Ghosts move and attack as normal, with the following exceptions.

Movement

All ghost units with MP (whether GEVs, light armor, heavy armor, infantry, or wheeled) treat all hexes as "clear" for the purposes of movement, paying 1 MP per hex moved and never rolling to become "stuck." They may ignore ridges and even move through crater hexes. Because ghosts travel over the surface of water, streams do not effect them at all, and when in full-water hexes they may attack (and be attacked) as normal. Only ghost Marines and Ogres may choose to submerge in water as normal.

Ghost trains must still travel along rail lines, but ignore any cut sections of rail (even from the hex being turned to rubble); even over a collapsed rail bridge, they still hover spookily across the gaps. A ghost train that reaches the end of a rail line with MP remaining stops immediately instead of being destroyed.

Ghost units never receive road bonuses. Small solace to their opponents.

Taking Damage

Ghost units are only partially present on this plane of existence, making them extremely difficult to eliminate. In general, ghosts are only affected by X or XX results on the CRT. These are treated as "D" results, disabling the ghost unit. If it receives another "X" or "XX" result while disabled, the ghost unit is actually destroyed. In miniatures play, ghost armor units never leave hulks.

Ghosts do receive terrain bonuses to defense. They're incorporeal, but trees and buildings still provide cover.

Ghosts are never affected by spillover, but are affected as normal by cruise missile shockwaves (i.e., ignoring D results and being disabled by X/XX results). This is called the "nuke 'em all and let God sort 'em out" rule.

All ghost units double their attack strength in Overruns, but are easier to kill at close range. (The "aim for the heads" rule.) They still ignore D results on the CRT, but an X or XX will immediately destroy them.

Specific Unit Notes

Infantry: Ghost infantry (including Marines, Engineers, Heavy Weapon Teams, etc.) are not affected by D results on the CRT at all. It takes an X or XX result to eliminate each individual squad of infantry.

Ogres: Ghost Ogres, even more than regular cybertanks or ghosts, are the stuff of nightmares. Their weapons and treads can regenerate! When a ghost Ogre suffers a X result against one of its weapons, draw a single slash through that weapon's box on the Ogre's record sheet, and it may not be used until it regenerates. If that weapon receives another X result before the end of the Ogre's next turn, draw an opposite slash - forming an X - through the box; it is truly destroyed. Otherwise, at the end of the Ogre's next turn, the weapon regenerates and the slash should be erased. The ghost Ogre's opponent should specify if his attacks are aimed at already-disabled or fully-functional weapons.

Ghost Ogre external missiles are treated much as above: on the turn they're fired or if affected by an X result on the CRT, draw a single slash through their box. If not outright destroyed by the end of the ghost Ogre's next turn, they regenerate and can fire again!

Ghost Ogres regenerate 1D6 tread units on each of their turns, at the beginning of their movement phase. However, they can only regenerate up to their current MP level in tread units. Example: a ghost Ogre Mk. V has accumulated 23 points in tread damage, reducing it to 2 MP. At the beginning of its next movement phase its player rolls a 4 to regenerate treads. However, since that would bring it back to 3 MP, it can only regenerate 3 tread units. (Optional: Allow ghost Ogres to regain MP once they've fully "healed" that damage threshold. So an Ogre Mk. V reduced to 1 MP would go back to 2 MP once it reduced tread damage to 19 or less total, then 3 MP once it "healed" all tread damage. In this case, once a ghost Ogre hits 0 MP, it may no longer regenerate treads.)

Ghost Ogres with missile racks have unlimited internal missiles.

Superheavy Tanks: Ghost SHVYs have no need for the partial damage rules.

Lasers: Ghost laser turrets and towers ignore line of sight rules. They also regenerate 1D6 SP at the end of each turn, unless already reduced to 0.

Ogrethulhu and Spawn: *message ends abruptly and blood begins to spill from your computer*

Last edited by ColBosch; 02-16-2018 at 07:56 PM.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
ColBosch

Advanced Units

Ogre Ninja: In addition to all of the above special rules, ghost Ninja get their normal special rules: -1 to CRT results against them and units further than one hex out cannot combine fire against them. Good luck!

Ogre Vulcans: Known as "Ogre Magi," these units not only have the advantage of every special ghost and Vulcan rule, they can also summon new ghost units! An Ogre Magi with at least two functioning arms (its own, or in conjunction with ghost heavy drones) may attempt to summon up to 6 VP of units each turn: a single heavy tank, GEV, GEV-PC, or missile tank; 3 squads of infantry; or two light tanks or GEVs. To do so it rolls a D6 in the recovery phase of its turn; on a 5 or 6, the unit appears in the Magi's hex and acts as normal from that point on.

Earthworks and Revetments: Ghost units may use non-ghost defenses as normal. Non-ghost units cannot do the reverse!

Mines: Ghost units are wholly unaffected by any mines. Non-ghost units are affected by ghost mines as normal.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #16
ColBosch

...guess that was too wall-of-text. Sorry! Elevator pitch: ghost units ignore terrain penalties, ignore D results, and treat X results as D.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
CON_Troll

Bosch, you've got the foundations of an excellent OGREZINE article. Flesh this out (looks around nervously for an OGRETHULU...) and submit it. I want to see this in OGREZINE!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #18
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I could not agree more!! Anyone willing to pick up the gauntlet that has been thrown down?

D.
I'm not going to pretend my prose is on the level of someone who has been doing it for years, but I do have a little something waiting for its first proofreading pass. Gotta spend part of this weekend digesting the style guide / etc. You're more than welcome to read it in the meantime, assuming that's not some sort of massive faux pas.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #19
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I'm not going to pretend my prose is on the level of someone who has been doing it for years, but I do have a little something waiting for its first proofreading pass. Gotta spend part of this weekend digesting the style guide / etc. You're more than welcome to read it in the meantime, assuming that's not some sort of massive faux pas.
The worst thing a publisher can say is "no." Trust me, I've had it happen - by SJ Games, no less. It really never hurts to try!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #20
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
You're more than welcome to read it in the meantime, assuming that's not some sort of massive faux pas.
I am always happy to see what you might have in the works. I can look at it now and offer suggestions, or I can review it when you feel you're further down the path. Whatever works for you. As an initial assist, I would encourage you to check out the Writer's Guidelines; they can save you some steps by reviewing them first. Submissions may be sent to ogre@sjgames.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Bosch, you've got the foundations of an excellent OGREZINE article. Flesh this out (looks around nervously for an OGRETHULU...) and submit it. I want to see this in OGREZINE!
And ColBosch - I agree with CON_Troll . . . it would appear you have a nice seed germinating there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The worst thing a publisher can say is "no." Trust me, I've had it happen - by SJ Games, no less. It really never hurts to try!
Yep. Happens to me all the time. Including by SJGames - both in the distant past and currently! Sometimes it's an issue of your idea needs further work, sometimes it's an issue of being a good idea, but not where we want to go at this time, and sometimes it just isn't there. The key is to not give up and either refine the submission or try something else.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote