Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 11-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
offsides

Default Re: Update - version

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
You are just consistently unlucky. I am not seeing the same thing. The dice are streaky, but even over time.

Keep sending game logs; maybe there's some weird edge case where it's broken just for you. I'm not joking about that, your environment might have something weird in it.
You never know - I once had a damaged C64 that thought 2+2=5! (seriously - the ROM Basic was damaged and it was producing incorrect results for pretty much all math calculations. Needless to say it made for a few fun games where I could take advantage of it, but mostly it was a doorstop at that point...)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Yes, we've done some work on the AI. It's getting smarter... You've been warned... ;)
"BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!" -- Ogre A.I.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've given up every scenario except the Mk. III attack. Example, Ogre Duel. I arrange it so I get first shot from movement. I shoot two missiles paired, so 4 to 1 odds, at three enemy SB. All are NE, repeatedly. AI Ogre moves in range, six missiles at weapons, I'm defanged in one go.
Have you tried verification of the integrity of local files? Or reinstalling the game?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Now if the dice roller would get fixed. I'm still consistently getting low numbers, while the AI gets sixes on 1 to 2 hits.

One recent example. One Ogre MB and four SB, all eight AP. I got one D in seven shots. The AI takes over and gets five sixes and two fives, in ten shots at treads.
:Humans are notoriously bad at telling random from non-random. Get a piece of paper and log all rolls. The more the better. As you add samples, the number of 1s, 2s etc will slowly even out. Now try the same experiment with real dice. You will get the same result.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
:Humans are notoriously bad at telling random from non-random. Get a piece of paper and log all rolls. The more the better. As you add samples, the number of 1s, 2s etc will slowly even out. Now try the same experiment with real dice. You will get the same result.
Unless they don't, which means the dice aren't balanced, or the CPU is doing bad math, which are possible outcomes of either test.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-22-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #16
Mack_JB

Quote:
Oh, I've logged them enough times. They're coming up within what I would consider norms. Of 69 rolls, it was 13, 10, 14, 11, 10, 11. It's just that MY rolls were mainly 1, 2, and 3, and the AI rolls were mainly 4, 5, and 6 (until late in the game, when my numbers got better as I could put more and more firepower on fewer and fewer units).

Hey, we gotta complain about something, the game is too fun otherwise. I've logged something like 86 hours so far.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
offsides

Quote:
"BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!" -- Ogre A.I.
Static. Then a new voice. It sounded quite human. And amused.

“Gotcha.”

- Ogre Opening Vignette
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #18
trooper6

The game is now Mac compatible?
BOUGHT!
Thanks for making it Mac compatible!

Okay veterans! If I'm using this game to learn the rules for the board game...could you please let me know if there is anything I need to be aware of? Differences between the digital and the analogue version?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
The game is now Mac compatible?
BOUGHT!
Thanks for making it Mac compatible!

Okay veterans! If I'm using this game to learn the rules for the board game...could you please let me know if there is anything I need to be aware of? Differences between the digital and the analogue version?
I haven't gotten to look at the new update yet, but terrain destruction was mostly missing before.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless they don't, which means the dice aren't balanced, or the CPU is doing bad math, which are possible outcomes of either test.
It's not a very likely error type to have the dice biased towards the computer, as all players probably use the same die roller. Now, it could be making the wrong test, of course, or be deliberately cheating on the computer's behalf.

Tags
auroch, auroch digital, update