Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Should a thief have his fence as a Contact?

If the fence works in the interest of the character as a tool they can use to offload stolen good without questions at fair prices, that's a contact.

If the Fence is a business contact that is loyal to the thief and does things in their interest, such as lining up juicy jobs or helping the find accomplices that are trustworthy, that's an Ally.

If the fence is an NPC in the world who's relationship and loyalty to the PC isn't guaranteed, who will require negotiation with every transaction or try to screw the thief out of money, if the fence will sell out the thief to his enemies or the authorities, that's free.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post

If the Fence is a business contact that is loyal to the thief and does things in their interest, such as lining up juicy jobs or helping the find accomplices that are trustworthy, that's an Ally.
I consider that a Patron, agreed on the rest though.

GURPS Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact was just released.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 08-22-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Quote:
I consider that a Patron, agreed on the rest though.
Contact, Ally, Patron to me is a difference of "exactly how much the NPC is capable of and willing to do for the PC".

Gather Info, make connections, set up meetings, basically "off-screen" busy work? Contact.

All of the above pls stand in the line of fire beside the PC? Ally.

All of the above plus supply the PC with equipment and services beyond what are generally easily acquired? Patron.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
If the fence works in the interest of the character as a tool they can use to offload stolen good without questions at fair prices, that's a contact.

Nope. You are describing services that aren't dangerous (to the Fence) and don't cost the Fence significant money. In fact he probably comes out ahead on the deal. That fits within the constraints of the kind of service a contact will supply. The difference between an ally and a contact is that Allies are prepared to go above and beyond for their associate, putting their full abilities at the service of the character to the point of risking their lives.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-22-2019 at 04:58 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Contact, Ally, Patron to me is a difference of "exactly how much the NPC is capable of and willing to do for the PC".

Gather Info, make connections, set up meetings, basically "off-screen" busy work? Contact.

All of the above pls stand in the line of fire beside the PC? Ally.

All of the above plus supply the PC with equipment and services beyond what are generally easily acquired? Patron.
The main difference between Ally and Patron is the risk they will take for you. Patrons are basically friendly employers.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The main difference between Ally and Patron is the risk they will take for you. Patrons are basically friendly employers.
This is true. Also the style in which your implicit "Duty" works... with an Ally that's a pal you'll come move a dead body for and probably get paid with a 6 pack (and their continued Ally status).

For a Patron, they can more (or less) order you to go do something (based on the Disads you took*).

I've often toyed with the idea of reworking Contact and Patron into being a Modifier on Ally... I'm just inherently too lazy to bother for something I'm not sure will bring a noticeable benefit to my game.

* Yes, I know you can take a Patron without taking a Duty (etc), but it's kinda hard to describe a relationship with an entity in a Patron position that doesn't have some level of 'give' to go along with the PC's 'take'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

I've often toyed with the idea of reworking Contact and Patron into being a Modifier on Ally... I'm just inherently too lazy to bother for something I'm not sure will bring a noticeable benefit to my game.
Me too but I try to avoid House Rules, easier on my players.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
fence, thief