Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Ulairi

Default TFT Status Report from BGG

I thought I'd cross post this since some of us aren't on BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/8...-status-report
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #2
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: TFT Status Report from BGG

I notice something is missing from Phil's thoughts about future TFT products - solitaire modules in the old style. Just like the Death Test reissue, with a booklet and counters, and possibly a map and cards as well.

Perhaps the development costs are a bit high compared to other products? Or maybe the right author is hard to find. At any rate, I hope we see something like that in the future.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:15 AM   #3
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
I notice something is missing from Phil's thoughts about future TFT products - solitaire modules in the old style. Just like the Death Test reissue, with a booklet and counters, and possibly a map and cards as well.

Perhaps the development costs are a bit high compared to other products? Or maybe the right author is hard to find. At any rate, I hope we see something like that in the future.
I think there was a certain amount of "negativity" towards this idea last year prior to the Legacy Kickstarter on the part of some of the then-frequent posters here, which might be why it kind of dropped off the radar screen. Personally, I would LOVE to see some more "microquests" see the light of day; especially since, at the very end there, Metagaming was starting to move towards a higher re-play value concept of how to put those things together. I suspect that if Steve or Guy or someone sat down and actually spent a couple of days thinking about the problem (probably pretty hard to find the time to do that, however, with all the balls in the air over at SJG), they would do a superior job of developing that process nowadays.

So yeah, bottom line: I would fully encourage SJG to consider doing some Microquest type "solos" adventures too. I'd certainly go for them.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
I notice something is missing from Phil's thoughts about future TFT products - solitaire modules . . .
Solo adventures are on the wish list.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:26 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

As someone who's written one adventure and have five others incoming via Gaming Ballistic I can tell you I've flirted with the idea of solo adventures. But then . . . I remember they are solo adventures and need lots and lots of review and playtesting from eyes different than my own and then I'm "meh" about the subject. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at them, but normal adventures are just easier to write over all. So that's what I'm sticking to for a bit.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
larsdangly

There are a few classic T&T solo dungeons that I love (City of Terrors; Sewers of Oblivion; etc.), but in general I don't use them nearly as much as I do other gaming materials that are good for TFT.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
There are a few classic T&T solo dungeons that I love (City of Terrors; Sewers of Oblivion; etc.), but in general I don't use them nearly as much as I do other gaming materials that are good for TFT.
It would be fun if the T&T people considered working with SJG on conversion stats for TFT as a possible product for their adventures (or better still, a full-on conversion to hex-based maps and the whole nine yards). I like T&T (though not as much as TFT) and they did (and are now again doing) some wonderful things with it!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
… I like T&T (though not as much as TFT) and they did (and are now again doing) some wonderful things with it!
It is a cool system. I sprang for the revival on Kickstarter (a couple years ago?), complete with the personalized wooden box to hold everything, to atone for the sin of passing up on T&T way back in 1982 or so. (I have a surprisingly clear memory of a day when I had some money in my pocket, and a choice between T&T or a handful of Citadel miniatures, and I chose the minis.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
. . . they did (and are now again doing) some wonderful things with it!
I'm looking forward to the comic and solo adventure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...toon-adventure

And yes, conversion notes for T&T adventures would be a big job. It would almost be better to simply work with the T&T team to completely reword some of their solitaire adventures for use with TFT. (Note: We are not doing that at this time and have no plans to do that.)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
FrankB

Dark City Games has a range of solo adventures under their Ancient World brand that is meant for TFT - http://www.darkcitygames.com/

Same size as the Microgames and comes with Maps and Counters..

BEGINNER: 32 point characters (Free)
The Sorcerer's Manor
Orcs of the High Mountains

NOVICE: 32-34 point characters (Recommend only 1 per party)
The Oracle's Breath
Raid on Cygnosa
Upon the Wind
Ebon Rebirth
Punisher's Keep

INTERMEDIATE: 34-36 point characters (Recommend 2-3 per party)
Island of Lost Spells
Wolves on The Rhine
The Crown of Kings
Sewers of Redpoint
The Thing in The Lake

ADVANCED: 37-38 point characters
Fire in the Streets
Gates to The Underworld
The Dark Vale
Shadows in The Dark

VETERAN: 38+ point characters
Emerald Twilight