Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Proteus

Default Gadget Power: Bullet-Proof Hoop Skirt?

So, in a steampunk campaign, suppose you wanted a female character to have a bulletproof hoop skirt, made with early Kevlar crossed with spider-silk or whatever other technobabble you like.

Clearly this is DR (Partial, Legs and Groin)... but it also begs an Affects Others enhancement, for a couple of brave but shameless heroes who could crouch down underneath and receive full cover, not just to their legs. Hilarity ensues.

If it's bought as an ability package (DR for the heroine's legs, and general DR with Affects Others, probably with some Temporary Disadvantages or Nuisance Effects, for the hangers-on), then how much discount would apply for DR which only protects others and not yourself? And if it's bought only as a single ability, then how would that be constructed?

Obviously, one could get around the entire issue just by treating it as equipment, but I'm thinking of it more as a unique, unexpected item, subject to gadget limitations.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Blood Legend

Default Re: Gadget Power: Bullet-Proof Hoop Skirt?

I don't know about abilities, but if you need it to work -now-, it's equipment...treat it as medium cover.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Anaraxes

For the sake of pricing, you could buy it as regular DR (Affects Others) for the whole body. Then subtract DR for the wearer's upper body as a Negated Advantage.

Or you could buy DR that _only_ Affects Others, and a different amount of DR that only affects yourself, lower body.

Doesn't self DR protect anything in your Payload? You could buy Payload to hold the others instead of DR (Affects Others). It'd be a weird Payload, with restrictions like "only while standing still".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It'd be a weird Payload, with restrictions like "only while standing still".
Or 'Occupants must make DX rolls when moving'.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Or 'Occupants must make DX rolls when moving'.
That seems to suit the comical effect. Miss the DX roll and you're exposed to enemy fire until you make it again to scramble back under. Perhaps we need a penalty for the Move of the skirt-wearer. With enough practice, you can put points into Being Ridden to help the hiders stay covered up...
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Kraydak

Force Field with Affects others, Directional (no protection from below) and (minimal) Area of Effect isn't enough?

I'd eyeball it at half a level of Directional and half a level of Area of Effect. Staying within the AoE is the shameless guy's problem, not the heroine's.
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Mathulhu

I would of thought a bullet proof skirt would have gone with a bullet proof corset. So only the DR advantage is only negated for the arms and head.

Personally I would not charge anything over and above the regular DR.
I would then be generous with applying cover and mean with regards to the inconvenience.

Tags
damage resistance, equipment, hoop-skirt, limitations, steampunk