Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Anders

Default Ducks

I love the anthropomorphic ducks of Glorantha and my own childhood's Drakar & Demoner. As I understand it, the Glorantha ducks were pretty much comic relief, but the Drakar & Demoner ducks could be played seriously and appeared in a serious role in a few supplements. So, here's my take on these Ducks of Death.

DUCK
Ducks are anthropomorphic fowl with arms instead of wings. They are superbly adapted to life at sea, and many are great seafarers. Their distinct lack of physical prowess makes them an easy target for ridicule, but they are much tougher than they look.
They stand between three and five feet tall, with huge, webbed feet and a tight, insulating feather coat. There are three distinct duck breeds – white, brown and black. White ducks are merchants and diplomats. They generally make up the aristocrats of the population. Brown ducks are warriors and can be surprisingly deadly for their small size. Black ducks are seafarers: fishermen and (frequently) pirates. The race lives exclusively on fish, but the fish doesn’t have to be fresh.
Attribute Modifier: ST -2 [-20]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM -1
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Breath-Holding 2 [4]; Nictitating Membrane 1 [1]; Night Vision 1 [1]; Temperature Tolerance 2 [2]; Terrain Adaptation (marshy ground) [5]
Disadvantages: Restricted Diet (fish) [-10]
Perks: Exotic Traits* [1]; Feathers** [1]
Features: Armor is incompatible with humans
Breed lenses (Select one)
Black: Mariner 1 [10]
Brown: Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin -40%) [3]; Extra Hit Points 1 [2]; Striking ST +1 [5].
White: Business Acumen 1 [10]
POINT TOTAL: 5 points

* Ducks can buy the following exotic/supernatural traits: Business Acumen 5 (White ducks only); Claws (Sharp; males; kicks only -40%) [3]; Enhanced Move ! (Swimming) [10]; Mariner 5 (Black ducks only); Regeneration (Slow) [10]; Striking ST +1 (Brown ducks only); Temperature Tolerance 5 [5]
** Counts as normal weather clothing; in conjunction with normal clothing, counts as winter clothing

Any thoughts? And can someone check my math, because I don't trust myself.

Last edited by Anders; 06-02-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
For your values I get 7 points (Attributes -10, Ads 26, Disads -30, Perk 1, Lens 20). But Nictating Membrane 2 is actually [2] not [4], so it looks right.

The Gloriantha material never gave me the impression Ducks would qualify for Disturbing Voice. Odd sure, but not causes serious reaction penalties odd. And I'd be very hesitant about including Comfortable Wealth in a racial template, even in a subspecies lens.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
For your values I get 7 points (Attributes -10, Ads 26, Disads -30, Perk 1, Lens 20). But Nictating Membrane 2 is actually [2] not [4], so it looks right.

The Gloriantha material never gave me the impression Ducks would qualify for Disturbing Voice. Odd sure, but not causes serious reaction penalties odd. And I'd be very hesitant about including Comfortable Wealth in a racial template, even in a subspecies lens.
Hmm... okay, some alterations.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
I love the anthropomorphic ducks of Glorantha and my own childhood's Drakar & Demoner. As I understand it, the Glorantha ducks were pretty much comic relief, but the Drakar & Demoner ducks could be played seriously and appeared in a serious role in a few supplements. So, here's my take on these Ducks of Death.

Your calculations look fine.

I'm not sure about the size. My sense from comics and cartoons is that Donald, Daffy, and Howard were all more in the SM -2 range, which would imply ST -5. But Gloranthan ducks may be a bit bigger than that. They are (potentially) heroic sword and sorcery ducks, after all. On the other hand, they're sort of a Gloranthan analog of hobbits, and hobbits are "halflings"—except for Merry and Pippin, who were more like three-quarterlings, and again were heroic adventurers, knights of Gondor and of the Mark.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Anders

Yeah. In order to make the brown ducks at all credible as warriors, it was more or less necessary to make them SM-1.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Yeah. In order to make the brown ducks at all credible as warriors, it was more or less necessary to make them SM-1.
I remember the pictures. Gloranthan Ducks were not duck sized so no problem there.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
PPoS

Heh. Takes me back. I remember playing a duck knight once, riding a pony. Lots of fun :)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Purple Haze

SM -1 is about right. Average Durulz is 33kg, average Gloranthan human 63kg.

Maybe ST -3, they really are small.

Should have DX +1 and HT +1.

Also Extra Hit Points, on average they have slightly more than the average human.

Should not have Night Vision. Enhanced vision is a Yelmic trait and Yelm hates them.

Needs some sort of Social Stigma. They have both low "charisma" and a huge penalty from followers of all non-death cults.

There is a Durulz saying: "They will hate you anyway, make sure you deseve it."

No reason for a restricted diet. They have teeth and gizzards, they can give the Uz a run for their money in the gourmand category.

More Temperature Tolerance, 2 or 3. They need not wear clothes or seek shelter in most weather.

They are smokers, about the only ones in Glorantha (except for certain drug addicts). So some sort of Addiction/OPH.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
They are smokers, about the only ones in Glorantha (except for certain drug addicts). So some sort of Addiction/OPH.
I don't think that can make sense as a racial trait. Addiction is quintessentially an individually acquired trait. You're going to have some members of the race who haven't acquired it yet, and some who never will.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
The race lives exclusively on fish, but the fish doesn’t have to be fresh.
I'd suggest some kind of Resistant or Reduced Consumption (Cast Iron Stomach) if they can live on rotting fish.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, races