Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #181
William

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

The Underbelly Project: art made and displayed in the dark, put up on the bare concrete walls of an unfinished subway station out of sight of the street. The place is abandoned, dirty, dangerous. The installation isn't meant to be seen: it's illegal; the artists didn't get permission first. The police can't find the artists, but they've arrested a number of intrepid explorers of the urban labyrinth that must be traversed to experience the place.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has respectfully decided not to destroy the works. However, there has been some graffiti tagging over some of the art, so that's evidence of monster population in this dungeon too.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #182
martin_rook

According to an old Pravda article, there's a hole in time at the South Pole, and Russian scientists have been conducting time-altering experiments.

http://web.archive.org/web/200710200...xperiment.html
martin_rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #183
Luke Bunyip

A village of Iranian cave dwellers. Similar to the Turkish cave dwellers of Capadocia. Nice set of pictures.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #184
Luke Bunyip

For a change in architecture, how about a village in a tower? These are not player character friendly...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #185
Anaraxes

Low-Tech arcologies?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #186
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Low-Tech arcologies?
Like. Stick in a fish farm and some trellised fruit trees, as well as what we call window boxes, and IIRC in the US are called truck gardens, and yep.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #187
William

Too cool! Totally nabbing as fantasy setting element!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #188
Anaraxes

Actually, "truck" just means "vegetables" in this context. Nothing to do with vehicles, but a more obscure word that means "trade". Truck gardens are where you raise vegetables to be sold at a market. By a sort of back association, "truck" can also mean the vegetables themselves.

To my ear, there's some connotation of this being relatively small scale compared to commercial operations, or a sideline to the farm's main business. But not quite as small as a window box.

I call window boxes "window boxes" :)

Hm. Low-Tech doesn't have much to say about buildings. I'm contemplating architectural issues in scaling these up to city size, while remaining low tech. Pyramids? You'd probably need to build it across an entire river for the water supply.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #189
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Actually, "truck" just means "vegetables" in this context. Nothing to do with vehicles, but a more obscure word that means "trade". Truck gardens are where you raise vegetables to be sold at a market. By a sort of back association, "truck" can also mean the vegetables themselves.
Sounds similar to what I thought it meant. What we would call an allotment garden. Thanks for the etymological root. I love that stuff.

Quote:
To my ear, there's some connotation of this being relatively small scale compared to commercial operations, or a sideline to the farm's main business. But not quite as small as a window box.
Exactly what I was envisaging. Saw a Canadian documentary about a former lecturer in Havana that survives by trading rabbits and guinea pigs for other food. That is exactly the scale I see working here. Dietary supplimentation, whilst the main source of food and income is outside. Basically what you need to resist a short to medium term siege. Which implies a communal grain store....

Quote:
I call window boxes "window boxes" :)
:P

Quote:
Hm. Low-Tech doesn't have much to say about buildings. I'm contemplating architectural issues in scaling these up to city size, while remaining low tech. Pyramids? You'd probably need to build it across an entire river for the water supply.
The other issue could be the engineering challenge of building a massive structure in a sodden alluvial plain, or in a waterway with a sedimentary base. All I know about civil engineering is what I learnt playing Civilisation the board game.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #190
Anaraxes

Egyptian government officials suggest the Israeli intelligence agency, Mossad, is behind the recent shark attacks in Egypt, using GPS-controlled sharks to strike only in Egyptian waters.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/...ossad_to_blame

(There have been no reports so far of head-mounted lasers.)

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox