Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Libertine

Default New martial art build think tank

I am wanting to formulate rules for a fictional martial art of which I am withholding the name for.

Here are some fundamentals on it.

It requires the pc to have super strength, thus being able to hit with 5k lbs of force and lift 2400 lbs overhead.

It is designed to allow such individuals to combat normal humans without accidently killing them.

Instead of hitting with their full force, they hit with only a third of their total power, however, the techniques are much easier to execute.(Instead of punches and kicks, it is slaps and pokes)

The challenge is this: there is a strength requirement of 32, and the difficulty of hits is dramatically decreased in exchange for lower power.

The difficulty of parries is decreased in exchange for stopping power.

How would you stat this?
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: New martial art build think tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Instead of hitting with their full force, they hit with only a third of their total power, however, the techniques are much easier to execute.(Instead of punches and kicks, it is slaps and pokes)

The challenge is this: there is a strength requirement of 32, and the difficulty of hits is dramatically decreased in exchange for lower power.
I don't think it makes sense that it is easier to strike at below normal ST. After all, melee skill has a lot to do with speed, which means using your full force. Being able to use full force for speed, but then stop before actually connecting with the target is something I think takes actual practice, and a lot of it.

But some GM's allow this at no penalty. If you are one of them, then it's simply a Skill+0 technique.
If you want to give it a penalty (which you should if you want a reason for people to take this technique), then you assign a modifier to it. Maybe -2 to be allowed to hit at a lower ST than full force. Or you could also make a more variable modifier, saying for instance that each -1 to skill allows a -20% ST reduction.

Whatever you decide you could allow the technique to surpass the base skill. So attacking at lower ST is actually easier than normal.

Quote:
The difficulty of parries is decreased in exchange for stopping power.
I don't quite understand what you are asking here? What do you mean by stopping powers? Of the parry or "damage dealt"?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Libertine

Simply put, it is easier to execute a slap and a poke then a full cocked punch, because they have so much extra hitting power, a quick slap still does a lot of damage.

As for parries, they could be executed with less effort if the individual is significantly stronger than the attacker, so instead of a focused block, they only need to casually put their arm in the way and tense up a little at the moment of impact.

Btw, the martial art is something you purchase with points.

Last edited by Libertine; 08-15-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Libertine

Quote:
should if you want a reason for people to take this technique), then you assign a modifier to it. Maybe -2 to be allowed to hit at a lower ST than full force. Or you could also make a more variable modifier, saying for instance that each -1 to skill allows a -20% ST reduction.
I like this possibility
Old 08-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
Kalzazz

If you give to hit bonuses to 'hit with less than my full strength' people are going to start slapping and poking with Death Touch spells
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Libertine

Quote:
.If you give to hit bonuses to 'hit with less than my full strength' people are going to start slapping and poking with Death Touch spells
Not if such a spell isn't a part of the martial art.
Seems like enough justification to make it mutually exclusive.
However, this could be designed as an innate attack that has a "to hit" bonus.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Libertine

How about this:
(Tentative martial art) very easy
Requires: ST 32+
Trained by a master
Extra attack

Melee equivalent could include weapons like plastic wire, rolled up, newspapers, and car antennas
Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Maz

Quote:
Simply put, it is easier to execute a slap and a poke then a full cocked punch, because they have so much extra hitting power, a quick slap still does a lot of damage.

As for parries, they could be executed with less effort if the individual is significantly stronger than the attacker, so instead of a focused block, they only need to casually put their arm in the way and tense up a little at the moment of impact.

Btw, the martial art is something you purchase with points.
Well there is currently nothing in RAW that supports this. No rules that give stronger or bigger a bonus to parries. So you have to invent it from scratch, which also means you have to decide (from a game-perspective) what exactly you want out of it.

Your first goal is pretty simple: Deal less damage for more skill.
But you have to figure out some benchmarks so it's not too easy to exploit. The problem is that allowing a bonus to hit for lower dam doesn't mesh well with GURPS hit-location rules. If I can get a +3 bonus to hit by dealing half dam, that just means I can hit your vitals and still deal better damage.
So I would be wary of allowing it. Unless you do not use hit-locations then there is no trouble.

The second I am still a bit unsure of but seems to be: Get a bonus to parry if I am stronger than my opponent.
This is difficult to make a hard and fast rule for. Because how much stronger do you need to be to get this bonus? What if your opponent is using a weapon, or charging with his body (a slam).

Well, maybe someone else can help.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Libertine

Quote:
.Your first goal is pretty simple: Deal less damage for more skill.
But you have to figure out some benchmarks so it's not too easy to exploit. The problem is that allowing a bonus to hit for lower dam doesn't mesh well with GURPS hit-location rules. If I can get a +3 bonus to hit by dealing half dam, that just means I can hit your vitals and still deal better damage.
So I would be wary of allowing it. Unless you do not use hit-locations then there is no trouble.
Yeah, I added three prerequisites making the style quite expensive
Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Kalzazz

Now, conceptually, at least from a LARP perspective, you can throw more likely to hit goofy shots that hit with less force behind them because their coming from odd angles and positions, or changes of direction that killed off momentum, or where only the very tip of the noodle sword touches etc

Techniques for touching with noodle swords might well adapt nicely to touching with death touch wands

There's also complaints that some sport versions of martial arts teach touching instead of real wallop

. . . . I am now imagining mages armed with 'Natural' noodle swords made out of soft natural sponges with the staff spell
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, martial art, super strength