Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
z0boson

Default Re: There is only Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
That idea is a very great one... In theory. Because, in practice, it is not so much. Being a very good musician, for instance, don't make you good at playing all musical instruments. A highly skilled trumpet player is not necessarily good, or even quite good at playing the piano or the violin. Even if he is one of the most famous conductor and composer (Ennio Morriccone). Beyond the very basic children music, he isn't able to play other musical instruments than those he really learned.

I take the musical example, here, but there are a lot of other things like that...
I don't think that all the very hard skills would necessarily have to exist. So you could model musical instrument like all the other skills and just say there is no top level skill or that it is cinematic.
z0boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
Anthony

Done I think, though I probably left a few out by accident.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Done I think, though I probably left a few out by accident.
Thank you very much. It sounds to be a good list.

I would gladly modify some of these skills. I would for instance make only one skill with Computer Programming and Computer Hacking. I perfectly know that it is not at all realistic. But, during an adventure, why do characters with their computer skills? Only very few things...
  • Finding data on the web (which is covered bu Computer operation).
  • Copying data on their own computer, CD or USB (which is also covered by computer operation).
  • And hacking protections that prevent to find data.
They rarely design softwares except viruses or spywares, maybe, if they have time to do so. But this is quite rare.

That is why having two different skills for programming sounds useless, in my humble opinion.

But that is just my opinion. And the list you wrote is already much more intuitive than the one of the Basic Set.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
dataweaver

I’m not fond of the notion of turning all exotic capabilities into Advantages; but this isn’t the place to have that debate, so I’d recommend taking all of the skills such as Body Control, Breaking Blow, etc. and cordon them off to be dealt with separately. There’s more than enough to deal with even limiting yourself to “mundane” skills.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I’m not fond of the notion of turning all exotic capabilities into Advantages
They could also be cordoned off into specific skill-based power systems, much like spells and imbuements, though I'm not especially fond of those mechanics. You could also turn them into ridiculously hard techniques -- e.g. invisibility art might be default Stealth-20.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
dataweaver

Yep; those are all possibilities. And I’m saying that coming up with a definitive solution for them is (or ought to be) beyond the scope of this topic: just mark them as such, set them aside, and concentrate on the regular skills.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #17
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0boson View Post
I don't think that all the very hard skills would necessarily have to exist. So you could model musical instrument like all the other skills and just say there is no top level skill or that it is cinematic.
I forgot to tell... I fully do agree with that. I just wanted to show the limits of a too deep generalization which really sounds to be a great idea in theory... But which inevitably causes problems during the game.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #18
arconom

Quote:
I forgot to tell... I fully do agree with that. I just wanted to show the limits of a too deep generalization which really sounds to be a great idea in theory... But which inevitably causes problems during the game.
What problems?
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconom View Post
What problems?
The one I mentioned above: someone wants a highly skilled musician (a composer who can compete with John Williams, James Horner, Howard Shore...) and his character suddenly knows how to play every musical instrument!

And it would also cause the same kind of problem with other skills: a pilot who can pilot or drive any kind of vehicle, a craftsman who is able to build anything in every possible matter, etc.

Note that it is not a huge problem. It would even work well in a heroic genre*. But it would sound ridiculous in a more realistic world.

_____

* Wildcard skills like Science!, Music!, Pilot!, are precisely made for that purpose.

Last edited by Gollum; 03-28-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
The one I mentioned above: someone wants a highly skilled musician (a composer who can compete with John Williams, James Horner, Howard Shore...) and his character suddenly knows how to play every musical instrument!
Most composers are, if not masters, at least basically competent with every musical instrument they'll be composing music for. In any case, while this may be a realism issue, I really don't see a game balance issue.