Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #31
jimmylogan

Default Re: minis and "pre-measuring" distance controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Just out of curiosity, are people using a grid with minis? For me, part of the reason to use minis is you don't need a grid then.

I knew throwing in reality would cause issues!!!

I'm sticking with the tournament rules - measurement equals firing action.
Grids are fun for predesigned maps and nostalgia factor. No grid needed for custom arenas.

Those rules are not official, so you can use or not use. :-)
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #32
owenmp

The ADQ 10/2 ruling was in reference to a gridless 3D arena that was being used at the AADA World Duelling Championships.

For the past few years, Magesmiley runs all rounds of Car Wars tournaments at Dragonflight and OrcaCon on a single day. The two-hour time limits for the four Qualifying Rounds are essential to stay on schedule. Magesmiley does an excellent job teaching the game while keeping each round moving.

When I run my own Car Wars games, I have permitted measurement of range and calculation of to-hit numbers without use of firing actions, especially when I have novice players who want to learn the game.

The rule of measuring range means firing weapons is a tradition in many miniatures games.

One variant I have thought of implementing was a Targeting Computer, either Standard or Single Weapon, would allow a vehicle to measure range and/or determine certain types of to-hit modifiers without using a firing action or ammunition.

Creating many reference charts for Car Wars is one of the methods how I improved my skills with spreadsheets. :o)
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #33
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
For the past few years, Magesmiley runs all rounds of Car Wars tournaments at Dragonflight and OrcaCon on a single day. The two-hour time limits for the four Qualifying Rounds are essential to stay on schedule. Magesmiley does an excellent job teaching the game while keeping each round moving.
That reminds me, we probably should record my rules explanation as a how to play video.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote