Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

I would be interested in this. Missed it the first time around, there has been so little activity on the play-by-post section of the forum for the last few years I've stopped looking.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Ah darn. Well I will keep carousing for another game then. If you have any spots that need filling I am fairly good with playing most roles. I tend to pick up quick. I'll also do some reading to get a feel for how it works.

Thank you for getting back to Me, I appreciate it! Godspeed on your travels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I would be interested in this. Missed it the first time around, there has been so little activity on the play-by-post section of the forum for the last few years I've stopped looking.
If Sinzarious is still up for it, (and/or of course Zonx), I'd very much love to bring this forum to life again.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
Sinzarious
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

SINCE ericthered is interested in running people, I am also still interested. I will begin tinkering with a character idea and put it up once I am finished.

P.S.: Thank you GnomesofZurich, for chiming in so aptly. I was hoping someone might show up :)

(Hope maybe Zonx might grace us as well, but we will see.)

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-17-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Didn't see above post.
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #14
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
SINCE ericthered is interested in running people, I am also still interested. I will begin tinkering with a character idea and put it up once I am finished.

P.S.: Thank you GnomesofZurich, for chiming in so aptly. I was hoping someone might show up :)

(Hope maybe Zonx might grace us as well, but we will see.)
Great. Any thoughts on where you plan to focus your character and psionic abilities?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
Sinzarious
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Great. Any thoughts on where you plan to focus your character and psionic abilities?
Probably focus on PK with possibly Telepathy as a secondary. Really not sure where on the ship yet, but the parts I am considering are the Power, Life Support, and Nav/Com/Sen Blocks.

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-18-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: More info
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
looking for two to six players
1) zoncxs
2) Sinzarious
3) GnomesOfZurich

I guess that means there's still potentially 3 slots? It sounds interesting. Would like to throw hat in too if that's okay. I'll need to check the books to understand what TL10 represents and how psychokinetic powers would compare with it, and might wait to see others' sheets first before designing char to avoid overlap and round things out uniquely.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #17
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

A question for ericthered: since this is safetech TL10, the relevant section in GURPS Ultratech mentions that these settings, "...often de-emphasize networked computers..." Is this the case here? This will determine how effective "cyberpsi" abilities may be.

Edit: For the record, I'm leaning towards either Telepathic abilities (likely Mind Control with the Independent enhancement) or Ergokinesis/Cyberpsi, likely based around, again, Mind Control or possibly Possession. Still considering the role on ship.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 06-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Mind Control or possibly Possession. Still considering the role on ship.
Mental Control Points from Pyramid please :)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
A question for ericthered: since this is safetech TL10, the relevant section in GURPS Ultratech mentions that these settings, "...often de-emphasize networked computers..." Is this the case here? This will determine how effective "cyberpsi" abilities may be.
Networked computers are indeed "de-emphasized". Most tools, locks, and stations will have computers associated with them, but they all have manual overrides, they are only networked within the same system, and the ability to operate them remotely is quite limited. So you can check on the status of a laser emplacement from any other laser emplacement, and even send them targeting data, but you won't be able to aim and fire it without someone present, and you won't be able to get detailed technical reports on the reactor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
1) zoncxs
2) Sinzarious
3) GnomesOfZurich

I guess that means there's still potentially 3 slots? It sounds interesting. Would like to throw hat in too if that's okay. I'll need to check the books to understand what TL10 represents and how psychokinetic powers would compare with it, and might wait to see others' sheets first before designing char to avoid overlap and round things out uniquely.
And potentially still four slots. Welcome aboard. Remember we're using safetech and superscience. Think Space Opera. We're playing with relatively light superscience, with the focus on Psi, FTL, and propulsion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Probably focus on PK with possibly Telepathy as a secondary. Really not sure where on the ship yet, but the parts I am considering are the Power, Life Support, and Nav/Com/Sen Blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Great. Any thoughts on where you plan to focus your character and psionic abilities?
Quote:
Edit: For the record, I'm leaning towards either Telepathic abilities (likely Mind Control with the Independent enhancement) or Ergokinesis/Cyberpsi, likely based around, again, Mind Control or possibly Possession. Still considering the role on ship.
I built some sample characters back when I planned the campaign, and I found that "Telepathy" was too broad to cover in 100 points. I designed four Telepathy Packages: "Traitor Maker", "Radio", "Reader", and "Hunter-Killer". They all were dedicated telepaths, and all had very different rolls.

You may also want to declare your "Action" roll. Are you a shooter? a sneaker? a talker? a mechanic/hacker? You will start the game on a psi-suppressant drug with only standard issue gear, so you'll want characters who can function without their powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Mental Control Points from Pyramid please :)
Sorry, not for this game. It slows down Play by Post and we already have a fairly robust rules load.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-18-2020 at 11:42 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #20
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I built some sample characters back when I planned the campaign, and I found that "Telepathy" was too broad to cover in 100 points. I designed four Telepathy Packages: "Traitor Maker", "Radio", "Reader", and "Hunter-Killer". They all were dedicated telepaths, and all had very different rolls.

You may also want to declare your "Action" roll. Are you a shooter? a sneaker? a talker? a mechanic/hacker? You will start the game on a psi-suppressant drug with only standard issue gear, so you'll want characters who can function without their powers.
Of those, I think "Traitor Maker" is the sort of concept I'm going for, likely paired with a talker/face sort of "Action" roll. I'm wondering about a role on ship that would see contact with a lot of the crew - not sure which of these fits, but I could see medic, a priest (if there's some sort of widely held religion among the crew), a counselor, or (if there are such facilities on board) a bar tender!

Edit: Would you be willing to share the build for Traitor Maker you put together? I'm looking at multiple sources for inspiration.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.