Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #141
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Tactical Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I believe that the ultra-tech standard is that deflection effects are assumed to be incorporated in DR, it's just that they function as a multiplier rather than an adder, and can basically be rolled into the whole armor quality modifier.
Doug, IIRC, has said that the vehicle DR in High-Tech was done based solely on linear thickness. I could be wrong, I suppose.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #142
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Doug, IIRC, has said that the vehicle DR in High-Tech was done based solely on linear thickness. I could be wrong, I suppose.
Linear from the direction of 'averaged axis of the attack,' which is somewhere between "most useful gaming abstraction" and "vague to the point of uselessness," true. But we're not building real vehicles or designing real body armor here, we're playing a game. "Good enough to facilitate fun without completely shattering suspension of disbelief for the genre being emulated" is pretty much the yardstick.

I was a bit surprised during the LT playtest that the "deflection" thing was allowed/encouraged. When PD went away, slope of armor more or less went into "more DR," but "the blow whanged away and didn't do anything due to deflection" sort of went away.

Don't get me wrong: it's a real-world phenomenon. But it's a bear to model well in GURPS and its demise was not really missed.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #143
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Doug, IIRC, has said that the vehicle DR in High-Tech was done based solely on linear thickness.
That might be true, but where available I'd bet on it being based on RHAe, which is to say 'someone else did the math or testing to figure out how much effect deflection has'.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #144
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That might be true, but where available I'd bet on it being based on RHAe, which is to say 'someone else did the math or testing to figure out how much effect deflection has'.
Well, yeah. Linear thickness of RHAe, with conversions of thickness along the axis of impact of alternate materials (40mm of aluminum armor, angled at thus-and-such degrees) into RHAe where direct RHA equivalents weren't available.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #145
DanHoward

Williams worked out a formula to determine the additional energy required to penetrate a plate as the angle of impact increases from normal. All of this is in Chapter 9.

E* = E/Cos A

E* is the actual energy required
E is the energy required if the attack hit normal to the target
A is the angle of impact.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #146
Orienda

That probably works fine for melee weapons and armor of all sorts, but doesn't cover the windshield case in tactical shooting, where in addition to requiring energy to penetrate, it can also cause the object to be deflected off from its intended course.
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #147
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Williams worked out a formula to determine the additional energy required to penetrate a plate as the angle of impact increases from normal. All of this is in Chapter 9.

E* = E/Cos A

E* is the actual energy required
E is the energy required if the attack hit normal to the target
A is the angle of impact.
That is not an accurate formula - all that is doing is compensating for the effective thickness, while still erroneously assuming that the same amount of energy is being imparted during the collision. As far as back-of-the-envelope calculations go, I would square that number to represent the additional difficulty in penetration due to decreased energy transfer.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #148
DanHoward

He determined the forumula after experimental anaylsis. If you look at the results from his experiments against various types of plate and feed the parameters into his formula you get very similar results.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #149
Anthony

Quote:
Williams worked out a formula to determine the additional energy required to penetrate a plate as the angle of impact increases from normal.
If we assume his equation is accurate, it implies that sloping armor makes it worse. The actual thickness of armor which must be penetrated is T/Cos A (i.e. if the armor is 5mm thick, and you come in at a 45 degree angle, you must penetrate 7mm armor). However, the exponent of E with regard to T is normally greater than 1, and his testing results in an exponent of exactly 1.

If you want to armor X area, a flat plate requires X*T*d total volume of armor. An angled plate requires X*T*d/cos A total volume. Thus, for the same weight, you can either have a 7mm thick flat plate, or a 5mm thick plate that's at a 45 degree angle.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #150
cosmicfish

Quote:
He determined the forumula after experimental anaylsis. If you look at the results from his experiments against various types of plate and feed the parameters into his formula you get very similar results.
Are the test parameters and data available?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melee, tactical shooting