Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Fnordianslip

Default Chemically Augmented Super Soldier

Chemically Augmented Super Soldier 200 Points

Trading a long productive life for a short but glorious one, these warriors are augmented with the best drugs, steroids, and nano-machines that TL9^ money can buy.

Stats
ST +4 40 Points
DX +2 40 Points
HT +2 20 Points
Basic Speed +1 20 Points

Advantages
Combat Reflexes 15 Points
Enhanced Ground Move 1/2 10 Points
Enhanced Time Sense 14 Points (15 points already spent on CR)
Switchable +10%
Maximum Duration 1 Minute -65%
Extra Attack 1 25 Points
Hard to Subdue 3 6 Points
High Pain Threshold 10 Points
Less Sleep 4 8 Points
Unkillable 1 35 Points
Achilles Heel, Brain and Spinal Damage -30%
Very Fit 15 Points
Very Rapid Healing 15 Points

Disadvantages
Dependancy -26 Points
Drugs (Common)
Weekly X2
Aging +30%
Increased Consumption 1 -10 Points
Self Destruct -10 Points
Shortened Lifespan X2 -20 Points
Age at 4 times normal rate, no effect on aging rolls 0%
Distractable -1 Point
Fidgety -1 Point

These guys are VERY fast and extremely hard to kill. They can be put down quickly if enough damage is done to major nerve centers. When they use ETS, they burn through neurotransmitters in the brain very quickly, as a result, they can only enter this amplified state for a limited amount of time. After that, it takes several minutes for the brain to recover.

They require a weekly dose to maintain a functioning body. Missing a dose causes rapid tissue and organ damage and effectively ages them even quicker. They age at roughly 4 times normal and, when their bodies reach an effective age of fifty, they fall apart very quickly. Many have full blown impulsiveness and short attention spans, but even the most focused are distractable and prefer action to sitting around.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Fnordianslip; 06-15-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
DryaUnda

Default Re: Chemically Augmented Super Soldier

Everybody, make sure you save the first post in case the lawyers come after us.

Still, I do like seeing the [CENSORED] in GURPS terms, even if the whole premise is rather luddite.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Everybody, make sure you save the first post in case the lawyers come after us.
I do sincerely believe that these templates are extremely generic and clichéd. There is plenty of inspiration in literature, movies and games which one can draw upon.

Quote:
..., even if the whole premise is rather luddite.
Yes, it's a function of the Frankenstein-Neurosis, I guess :)

Fnordianslip, I too have toyed with a similiar concept. I had considered whether or not Altered Time Rate would be a good idea (heavily limited, with Costs FP (hazard-modified), Max Duration and TD: Impulsive). But your write-upo looks fine.

Edit: I have an idea - but it's just fiddling with numbers :)
Change Very Fit > Fit [-10]
Change ST+4 > ST+3 [-10]
Add: Altered Time Rate 1 (Costs 1 FP/sec, Starvation –14%; TD: Impulsiveness (6) –16%; Max Duration Up to 10 minutes –50%) [+20]
Edit2: But I'm not sure whether Costs Fatigue goes well with MaxDuration...

Last edited by zorg; 06-14-2006 at 03:39 AM.
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
GnomesofZurich

Based on some similar work I did some time ago, I might suggest On the Edge, some levels of Lifting ST (6, possibly to bring them up to an even 20 for lifting purposes), and Slow Regeneration as opposed to Very Rapid Healing.

I second the call for Altered Time Rate.

Although I'm not sure it's entirely legal, it is interesting how you modeled Combat Reflexes/Enhanced Time Sense. This brings up the question of whether it would be fair for other advantages that include lower level advantages to be separated out in this way.
Precognition (Danger Sense), Regeneration (Rapid Healing), Supernatural Durability (High Pain Threshold) are a few examples.

I'm inclined to think that it's only really appropriate if you buy both advantages in a package, you couldn't Regeneration without Rapid Healing, and argue it should be five points cheaper because of that. Others comments?
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich
Although I'm not sure it's entirely legal, it is interesting how you modeled Combat Reflexes/Enhanced Time Sense.
Considering that the description of ETS more or less states that it's a "higher level" of CR, I think it's fair to assume that these two are leveled traits. If a character has CR and wanted to get ETS, I sure wouldn't require the full cost of ETS, but allow an "upgrade" of CR, deducting the latters cost.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Fnordianslip

Yeah, I'm not totally sure if it's legal to do the combat reflexes/ETS staging, but it certainly felt right when I typed it up. :-) Certain advantages have always seemed, even if not explicitly stated, to be levels of one another. Rapid healing and regen and combat reflexes and ETS certainly feel that way. I guess you could put limiters on ETS and then buy combat reflexes as an alternate ability to use when ETS isn't on. That would save points but would lack the feel of a staged ability.

I like the ATR idea. Hmmm, time to implement that. I think I might stick with a max duration, but lower it to one minute and have a fatigue cost of 4 or so starvation per minute on it. Definitely keeping the TD: Impulsive. If that ends up being over a -80% modifier, oh well, thems the breaks!

As for on the edge, I think there would be a ton of disadvantages that these guys would be prone to. On The Edge, Impulsiveness, Short Attention Span, Bad Temper, etc. However, I was trying to keep it around 200 points and use a minimum number of psychological disadvantages.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
GnomesofZurich

An alternate template [200]:

Attributes and Secondary Characteristics [131]:
ST 14 [40]; DX 12 [40]; HT 12 [20]; HP +1 [2]; FT +3 [9]; Basic Speed +1 [20]

Advantages [176]:
ATR 1 (Costs Fatigue 2, -10%; TD: Stuttering (Very Rapid Speech), -8%*) [82]; Enhanced Move 1/2 (Ground) [10]; Enhanced Time Sense [45]; Fit [5]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Less Sleep 4 [8]; Regeneration (Slow) [10].
*Maximum 8 points reduction from Stuttering

Disadvantages [-107]:
Addiction (Expensive, Totally Addictive) [-20]; Distractible [-1]; Fidgity [-1]; Increased Consumption 2 [-20]; On the Edge [-15], Terminally Ill (2 years) [-50]

Other appropriate disadvantages for this sort of character include: Alcoholism [-15], Bad Temper [-10*], Berserk [-15], Bloodlust [-10*], Bully [-10*], Callous [-5], Code of Honour [-5 to -15], Compulsive Carousing [-5*], Impulsiveness [-10*], Intolerance (varies) [-5 to -10], Light Sleeper [-5], Loner [-5*], Megalomania [-10*], Neurological Disorder (Mild; probably bought with Mitigator (Drugs, -60%) to represent characters suffering from an over-taxed nervous system) [-6], Overconfidence [-5*], Paranoia [-10*], Selfish [-5*], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty [-2 to -10], Short Attention Span [-10*]
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Fnordianslip

Nice, I like the TD:Stuttering and the addiction. Definitely things to consider for version 2.0! I also like the idea of using on the edge to represent drug crazed bravado. Not that they're really suicidal, just convinced of their invulnerability.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
GnomesofZurich

I was thinking after the fact that you could also add on TD: Impulsiveness to the ATR, further reducing the cost, and perhaps add several levels of Hard to Kill, and/or Ablative DR to make them a bit more durable, if not quite to the same level as the Unkillable I you used.

I prefer the Addiction/Terminal Illness way of modeling this to the Draining/accelerated again, but either is valid; it just depends how people want to do it.

If more points were available, I'd add Recovery, Super Jump I, another level of Basic Speed (with the Increased Consumption 2, this would make it equivalent to Hyperactive from 3e) and possibly some levels of Lifting or Striking ST.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Fnordianslip

The reason I shyed away from using addiction is that there's no chance these guys can break the habit. Furthermore, if you are using addiction, you end up adding a limitation on all of their advantages that they're only available with the proper drugs. I just prefer the idea of you being so dependant on the drugs that it isn't a matter of addiction, it's a dependancy that will kill you if you go without for too long. It just depends if you want a super soldier who needs to take drugs pre-combat and have them on hand, or one who has to take a daily/weekly dose just to keep his body from falling apart.

Tags
supersoldiers