Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Coinage

Default Corruption, Radiation, Reality Stress Level, & Avatars

Hello. I was wondering if there was any disadvantage where one emits Radiation, and Corruption. The idea is that one is not affected by the Radiation and Corruption, but causes Radiation and Corruption in others. Please put in page numbers if possible.

In addition, I was also wondering if there was a "Limitation: Causes Reality Stress Level check", whenever an ability is used. The goal is to create a really dangerous advantage.

Finally, I was wondering if there was an ability that let's a character create an Avatar, depending on the local mana / sanctity level. My idea for now is that it would be some variation of different Alternate Forms. The more powerful the Alternate Form, the greater the Dependency on Mana (or Sanctity).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Corruption, Radiation, Reality Stress Level, & Avatars

The "emits radiation" one is probably the simplest - that's an Innate Attack (pp. B61-62, probably Toxic or Burning, depending on how deadly the radiation is supposed to be), with the Radiation enhancement (p. B105), and the Always On (p. B110) and Emanation (p. B112) limitations, to make it come from the character and be constant.

The Corruption is a bit trickier, since it depends on the value of Corruption as a disadvantage. The system in Horror (pp. 146-148) rates Corruption at -1 point per 10 points of Corruption. If you use that value, then you could plug it into an Affliction, with similar Always On and Emanation limitations to the build above. That might be a bit too cheap, though, since it would only be a +1% enhancement to increase the Corruption by 10. I'd probably eyeball this at something more like +1% per point of Corruption (that is, 1/10th as much).

I'm not familiar with the term "Reality stress level check" - is it from a GURPS supplement? Without knowing how severe a reality stress check is, I can't really evaluate how much of a limitation it should be.

Likewise, I don't know exactly what an "Avatar" is supposed to be. Could you define it a bit more, so we can properly evaluate how it's best modelled?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Coinage

Thanks for your input, it really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'm not familiar with the term "Reality stress level check" - is it from a GURPS supplement? Without knowing how severe a reality stress check is, I can't really evaluate how much of a limitation it should be.

Likewise, I don't know exactly what an "Avatar" is supposed to be. Could you define it a bit more, so we can properly evaluate how it's best modelled?
A "Reality Stress Level Check" is from both Infinity Worlds (p. 78, under "Reality Quakes in the Game") and Horror: The Madness Dossier (p. 58, under "Reality Quake Table"). Essentially, it is a role that the GM does to determine whether or not a Reality Quake, or ontoclysm, occurs that effectively RetCons reality. The idea is that I wanted to know if there was a way to design a Limitation on a powerful (Cosmic) advantage to that whenever that Advantage was deployed, it would risk disrupting reality, and thus should be used only as a last resort.

As for an "Avatar", that was something I got from D&D and Pathfinder. In essence, "Gods" are naturally immaterial beings, like Astral Spirits. To interact directly with the physical world, or the world accessible to the player characters, they have to "incarnate" or "assume" a physical form.

Last edited by Coinage; 02-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
A "Reality Stress Level Check" is from both Infinity Worlds (p. 78, under "Reality Quakes in the Game") and Horror: The Madness Dossier (p. 58, under "Reality Quake Table").
Ah, yes! Ok, thanks, now I have something to go on. Based on those rules, I think I'd eyeball a "reality stress generator" limitation on an ability as a Nuisance Effect, and peg it at -5% per -1 to Reality Stress Level, with an extra -10% if using the ability automatically triggers a roll on the Reality Quake Table, rather than the GM just deciding that sufficient stress had built up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage
As for an "Avatar", that was something I got from D&D and Pathfinder.
Ok, I'm familiar with the D&D usage of the term, yes. However, are you talking about summoning the avatar of an existing god? Or somehow creating a new avatar for a god who's never previously existed? And is the avatar friendly to you when they appear, or are you just hoping that they'll be happy to see you, or even just hoping you can run away before they unleash destruction on the area?

For most of these, I think your go-to trait is going to be Patron (or Ally if you're very high point value yourself), but the details will determine which modifiers you want on it.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Ok, I'm familiar with the D&D usage of the term, yes. However, are you talking about summoning the avatar of an existing god? Or somehow creating a new avatar for a god who's never previously existed? And is the avatar friendly to you when they appear, or are you just hoping that they'll be happy to see you, or even just hoping you can run away before they unleash destruction on the area?

For most of these, I think your go-to trait is going to be Patron (or Ally if you're very high point value yourself), but the details will determine which modifiers you want on it.
Sorry, I meant that the Player Character has an Avatar. That is what I meant by Alternate Form to transition from an "Astral Spirit" into a more material form.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Refplace

For Avatar I use Alternate Form with Projection (GURPS Powers) if they leave the body behind or with Duplication if they both can act at the same time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
For Avatar I use Alternate Form with Projection (GURPS Powers) if they leave the body behind or with Duplication if they both can act at the same time.
Even if the character in question is an Astral Spirit? Or some other immaterial entity?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Even if the character in question is an Astral Spirit? Or some other immaterial entity?
I think Alternate Form with Projection is still fine in those cases, yeah. I don't think it changes the balance much to say that a material being gets an immaterial form with Projection, while an immaterial being gets a material one.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Coinage

Here’s what I have for the corruption idea.

Affliction, Corruption, (10 character points per +1 Corruption) (B35; P39; H146) [lvl 1 = 10]
Enhancements:
-Always On (B100; P100) [-40% = -4]
-Emanation (B112; P112) [-20% = -2]
TOTAL: 4 points.

Here’s what I have for the shapeshifting idea.

Shapeshifting, Alternate Form (B83; P74)
Enhancements:
-Projected Form [-50%]
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
David Johnston2

I handled avatars as Unkillable 3 with an achilles heel (being killed at home). Duplication only if you can operate multiple avatars.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote