Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #141
TippetsTX

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
By the way, here's the description for Toughness:
"Years of combat experience have made you
hard to hit, and you know how to take a blow."
Seems pretty clear you don't need a teacher (other than the school of hard knocks).
That makes sense for a hero, but what if you are a wizard? Queue the body-hardening montage from your favorite kung fu movie!
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #142
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
That makes sense for a hero, but what if you are a wizard? Queue the body-hardening montage from your favorite kung fu movie!
Well, if you're a Wizard, it's gonna cost you double - 2000XP. It will take you twice as long to (l)earn through Experience :)
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #143
The Wyzard

Quote:
Well, if you're a Wizard, it's gonna cost you double - 2000XP. It will take you twice as long to (l)earn through Experience :)
Just in case anyone is benchmarking advancement rates, that's minimum of 20 sessions using the XP guidelines in the book.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #144
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Just in case anyone is benchmarking advancement rates, that's minimum of 20 sessions using the XP guidelines in the book.
Right. And 10 sessions if you're a Hero (Warrior). Advancement in NewITL is SLOOOW.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #145
TippetsTX

Quote:
Right. And 10 sessions if you're a Hero (Warrior). Advancement in NewITL is SLOOOW.
And that really doesn't bother you guys?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #146
platimus

Quote:
And that really doesn't bother you guys?
I've repeatedly said I think the XP costs need to be adjusted or tweaked.

I like the XP system but the costs are off. Too low for first couple of stat increases. Too high after the 6th. And too high for 2 or 3 point talents. This Because they're too low in some places and too high in others, it's very difficult to adjust by giving out more or less XP than recommended. Not impossible but extremely "fiddly".
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #147
Skarg

Quote:
I disagree on the Sword talents. The more you use it, the better you get at it. You can learn it without a teacher. Who taught the first teacher?
Those talents didn't even exist in previous editions of TFT. They don't really have descriptions except "expertise" and "mastery".

Like the others, it's left up to the GM, but it seems to me one option is to say that they represent advanced training, and are available only with appropriate training, not just having hit lots of things on adventures. Yes, someone (or more likely, a whole community of warriors) developed the advanced talents at some point, but surely that's much more difficult than being trained by someone who is already and expert or master and has a developed technique and has taught it to others before.

Quote:
Need a teacher for Horsemanship, Swimming, Chemistry, and Alchemy? Yes, except for swimming. You don't need a teacher to learn to swim.
My sentence about those was about needing things and/or situations, like access to one or more suitably trained and tolerant horses for many hours, and places you're allowed to ride them. Or water where you can (and do) spend hours learning to swim. Or a lab and chemicals and recipes and formulas.

Quote:
By the way, here's the description for Toughness:
"Years of combat experience have made you
hard to hit, and you know how to take a blow."
Seems pretty clear you don't need a teacher (other than the school of hard knocks).
Yes, though that doesn't mean a teacher can't help you out a lot. And it does say _years_ of combat experience...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #148
TippetsTX

Quote:
I like the XP system but the costs are off. Too low for first couple of stat increases. Too high after the 6th. And too high for 2 or 3 point talents. This Because they're too low in some places and too high in others, it's very difficult to adjust by giving out more or less XP than recommended. Not impossible but extremely "fiddly".
I agree that the numbers are off, but for me the problem feels more fundamental. The XP schedule and some of the other revisions to ITL seem... conflicting, I guess? Like they're trying to serve different masters, if you will excuse the metaphor.

Look at me, waxing philosophical. ;)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #149
Skarg

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Quote:
Except, to return to the subject at hand, that in new TFT, after those 10-20 sessions, RAW, you can go from never having done or said anything during play to actually study or have had access to any way to know any talent or spell, to choosing any talent or spell you can afford, and the suggestion is the game universe should just be fine with "you must have been studying it all along". The effective learning time and amount needed to do anything about it in actual play, is zero.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #150
platimus

Quote:
I agree that the numbers are off, but for me the problem feels more fundamental. The XP schedule and some of the other revisions to ITL seem... conflicting, I guess? Like they're trying to serve different masters, if you will excuse the metaphor.

Look at me, waxing philosophical. ;)
LOL I agree!!! Kill the old IQ master! Starting characters get 10 points of talents/spells! Long live the new XP master! LOL