Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Fufu

Default Warhammer 40,000 Helper Rule Questions

Warhammer 40,000 Helper Rule Questions

Who is considered a helper, the combine Combat Strength player or all players involved in the Combat? "One-Shot," forced, etc.

Combat

Quote:
You and the other players may play One-Shots or use Army abilities to help or harm you in your combat.
If other players, more than one is helping a player defeat Monster(s) are they involved in Combat meaning thus involved in the Run Away? Are these players considered helpers?

Asking for Help

Quote:
Only one player can help you, adding their combat strength to yours. Anyone can play cards to affect your combat, however!
Only one player can combine Combat Strength, yet can other players help for Treasure w/ One-Shot(s)?

Quote:
You'll probably have to bribe someone to help.
Can a player bribe more than one player to help?

Quote:
Your helper does not go up any levels . . . unless the helper is an Ork and you won by 10 points or more, in which case they gain one level.
What if an Ork player helps that is not part of combine Combat Strength, does that Ork player Go Up a Level?

Quote:
A few cards or abilities allow you to compel another player to help you in combat.
Compel meaning forced? Therefore, can a player play a card to help the player in Combat, yet the player in Combat did not ask or need help. Is the other player considered a helper?

Running Away

Quote:
If nobody will help you . . . or if somebody tries to help, and your fellow party members interfere so the two of you still cannot win . . . you must Run Away.
Can more than one player help in a combat?

Quote:
Roll the die. You escape on a 5 or more.
Why state 5 or more on a d6 (six sided die)?

Quote:
If two players are cooperating and still can’t defeat the monster(s), they must both Run Away.
If the players who combine Combat Strength... Who is considered cooperating? Does other player(s) who In Play "One-Shot" cards count?
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Warhammer 40,000 Helper Rule Questions

I'm not going to answer every question in your post because I think many of them can be cleared up with a single explanation.

If you can't beat a monster on your own, you may have one (and only one) player join you in the fight, adding their combat strength to yours for the duration of the fight. If the two of you then kill all the monsters, you split the Treasure according to whatever deal you struck when you accepted that person's help. Conversely, if the two of you cannot beat the monsters, you must both Run Away -- so you share the possible rewards but also the possible risk.

Playing cards into a fight does not constitute "help" as defined by the Munchkin rules. If I play a one-shot to increase your combat strength, I am not a "helper" as the term is used in the Munchkin rules if I haven't also joined the fight with my full combat strength.

If you have questions that this explanation doesn't clear up, please feel free to reply below. (Everyone else, please let Fufu weigh in before jumping in on this one. Thanks.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
Fufu

Thank you Andrew Hackard for your reply.

We have player(s) that say that a player should accept their help for Treasure that are "Ork" which can level up on another player's Combat phase regardless if the player(s) can or cannot defeat the Monster(s)--or the "Ork" player will increase the Monster(s) strength on the opposing player(s) in Combat if they are not willing to accept their help.
  1. Could a player in Combat phase ask for help, gain a helper, the second player--then play a card forcing a third player to help them combining the third player's Combat Strength with the two players Combat Strength?
    We have had a situation before where a player will ask for help then force a third player to help them.
  2. Can other players ask for anything other than the Monster's Treasure in Combat? Gain the Monster(s)' Level(s)? In Hand Items? etc.
    OR
    Is there anything other players cannot ask for? Maybe the better question?

Last edited by Fufu; 08-07-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
MIB 9966

As Andrew noted above, you can only ever have One helper. I cannot answer for sure what happens if you have one helper and a "force" helper card is played offahand.

As for negotiations, I thought there as a section in the FAQ about that, but you can negotiate for a share of the Treasures that the Monster(s) will give, and Items that you have in front of you that can be legally traded after the fight.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
As Andrew noted above, you can only ever have One helper. I cannot answer for sure what happens if you have one helper and a "force" helper card is played offahand.
Those cards aren't legal to play if you already have a helper (or are a helper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
As for negotiations, I thought there as a section in the FAQ about that, but you can negotiate for a share of the Treasures that the Monster(s) will give, and Items that you have in front of you that can be legally traded after the fight.
Right. You can't negotiate for levels and you can't swap cards from your hand (unless the helper is eligible to receive Charity). The main player could play cards such as GUALs on the helper, but can't just hand them over other than by trading Items as described in the rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote