Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
jaybiz

Default Just can't get enough expansions! Am I going to have to thin my decks?

Hey everyone, first post here :).

I recently bought the original Fantasy Munchkin and my friends and I have been enjoying the hell out of it. I then picked up Need for Steed and De-Ranged, which I promptly added to the original. And man, they have definitely improved an already great game.

My question, and worry, is this: If I buy more expansions, am I going to have to selectively thin my decks? The group I play with is by nature pretty cutthroat (we all delight in some Munchkinly treachery), and I can (kind of) already feel the thinning of backstab and "OH ****" type cards as well as the addition of more soft bonuses in the form of steeds and hirelings. Not at all a bad thing, but because of our play style, it'd be nice to balance that a bit.

I guess my followup question would then be which expansion or expansions I should look at purchasing next.

Thanks!
jaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Morne

Default Re: Just can't get enough expansions! Am I going to have to thin my decks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybiz View Post
Hey everyone, first post here :).

I recently bought the original Fantasy Munchkin and my friends and I have been enjoying the hell out of it. I then picked up Need for Steed and De-Ranged, which I promptly added to the original. And man, they have definitely improved an already great game.

My question, and worry, is this: If I buy more expansions, am I going to have to selectively thin my decks? The group I play with is by nature pretty cutthroat (we all delight in some Munchkinly treachery), and I can (kind of) already feel the thinning of backstab and "OH ****" type cards as well as the addition of more soft bonuses in the form of steeds and hirelings. Not at all a bad thing, but because of our play style, it'd be nice to balance that a bit.

I guess my followup question would then be which expansion or expansions I should look at purchasing next.

Thanks!
I have a very similar group to yours, we love to back stab each other its too much fun :D. The girlfriends don't really do it as much... sadly we try but anyways. I found the best expansion besides the ones you got were Unnatural Axe, for the items (I found we didn't have really enough with the original) and Demented Dungeons - the dungeons are KINDA tricky (I don't think we are even playing quite right yet lol) but WORTH IT! It adds so many zany things to the game such as all monsters kill you along with being in the dungeon that anyone can add monsters without wandering monster cards HAH everyone died! Also More Good Cards expansion is nice and small yet can really add to a deck!

I am very new to the game to but I hope that helps a little.
Morne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
bob2cow

Default Re: Just can't get enough expansions! Am I going to have to thin my decks?

You will not have to thin your decks at all. Plain and simple.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Sobarsse

I have the original Munchkin and all its expansions (including Fairy Dust and Waiting for Santa), and in my opinion, expanding on that most differentiates the game is Munchkin 6 - Demented Dungeons.

The inclusion of Dungeons and its rules, creates a different spirit in the game. And they enable If you make use of several new tactics, not counting the laughing situations they provide.
Sobarsse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
nekrasz

The deck I play with is currently at about 1,500 cards from a mix of 4 different versions of Munchkin and plays just fine. You can thin your deck if you want but I personally don't like doing that.
nekrasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck size, munchkin