Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #71
Kax

Default Re: .280 British Stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
As long as they're metallic they'll be locatable anyway. Now, the plastic needles the Soviets used in some of their 30mm grenades, those are really hard to find in flesh, and caused an outcry as a result.
And the nylon balls in Claymores, which are transparent to X-rays.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #72
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
I have read another take on the 5.56 debate. The hypothesis was that the 10”-14.5” barrel of carbine-version assault rifles used in various wars could be an important culprit, whereas the standard 20” barrel brings satisfactory effects.

I reckon that barrel length is often overlooked in those discussions and should be carefully considered.

Which is why forward- or downward-eject bullpups are what you want. 20"-24" barrel, no problem.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #73
Kax

Quote:
The 7.62mm NATO came after the US had rejected the .280. At the time the 7.62mm did not lose power compared to the issue .30-06 ammo of the time.

However, the reasons that the .280 wasn't adopted were simply that it wasn't invented in the US, and that the US was adamant that the new round must have good performance out to 2000 yards. The US was not acting in good faith during the selection process, either, lying about whether they were developing a new design, among other things.

They were also adamant that anything smaller than 0.30" was not going to be acceptable.

The whole point of the 276/280 was lower recoil, as the 7.62 was rather punishing.

It managed to match all the requirements except size, which would have remove all the advantages.

An older bullet design would have been interesting, BTW; extremely long and aluminium with a gilding metal skirt. Same advantages as a small cal, can use the same barrels as 7.62.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #74
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
On the other hand, in 3ed GURPS the FN FAL was the best firearm by far :D at least on the core rulebook.

So, to me, it’ll always be a wonder weapon.

And here's a pre-prod FN FAL bullpup that ejects forwards: http://www.nvtech.com.au/ProjPast/GP...ifle/GPIR.html
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #75
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
And the nylon balls in Claymores, which are transparent to X-rays.
Those use steel balls, not nylon ones.
Quote:
Which is why forward- or downward-eject bullpups are what you want. 20"-24" barrel, no problem.
Except for poor weight and balance distribution. And often being non-ambidextrous.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:45 AM   #76
Ji ji

Quote:
And here's a pre-prod FN FAL bullpup that ejects forwards: http://www.nvtech.com.au/ProjPast/GP...ifle/GPIR.html
The author has his personal idea of ideal military cartridge, too:

Quote:
As for me, I think if there were no compelling reasons to stick to existing calibres, the best calibre for infantry use, when all things are considered, is around 6.25mm, a 110 grain projectile, with a muzzle velocity of around 1,000 metres/sec.
A bullet with more power, more penetration and flatter trajectory than the current 7.62x51.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #77
Rupert

Quote:
Forwards ejecting either means a long ejection chute (with potential for jams), or is actually via the top, which has issues with sights interfering. Downward has issues when firing prone.

I used to be a fan of bullpups, but over the years, and after exposure to the Steyr AUG and handling some others, I'm not not so keen, at least for semi-autos.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #78
Tomsdad

Quote:
Forwards ejecting either means a long ejection chute (with potential for jams), or is actually via the top, which has issues with sights interfering. Downward has issues when firing prone..
So caseless is the solve then ;-)!

Quote:
I used to be a fan of bullpups, but over the years, and after exposure to the Steyr AUG and handling some others, I'm not not so keen, at least for semi-autos.
Hi sorry can I ask what is it about SA that has you not so keen? I'd have thought what issues there are firing SA would be worse in FA (or do you fire FA in a way that's different from SA that mitigates this issues?).

Cheers

James

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-01-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #79
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post

Hi sorry can I ask what is it about SA that has you not so keen? I'd have thought what issues there are firing SA would be worse in FA (of do you fire FA in a way that's different from SA that mitigates this issues?).
Actually, I was thinking in terms of bullpup bolt actions. These have issues of handedness (because the bolt handle tends to sit right by your cheek), but allow very long barrels in reasonable overall lengths. This has uses in civilian hunting and target shooting that can make it worth the costs in ease of reloading, etc. (because these usually aren't that important in a hunting rifle).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #80
Tomsdad

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking in terms of bullpup bolt actions. These have issues of handedness (because the bolt handle tends to sit right by your cheek), but allow very long barrels in reasonable overall lengths. This has uses in civilian hunting and target shooting that can make it worth the costs in ease of reloading, etc. (because these usually aren't that important in a hunting rifle).
Ah OK got it (sorry yep not the comparison I thought was being made)

cheers

TD