Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Wrapping My Puny Insect Mind Around The Limitations Or Lack There Of Demiurgy

Statistics: Illusion (Broadcast*, +50%; Cosmic, Can heal as well as harm, +50%; Cosmic, Lingering effect, +100%; Mental, +100%; Stigmata, +100%) [125].

So I don't get it, how exactly am I a Matrix/Mage: Ascension style reality warper? In a mechanical sense how do I dodge bullets, cure sickness, make doors appear where they weren't, flood the hotel room on the 27th floor or pull a tommy gun out of my trench coat moments after being patted down by the security?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Wrapping My Puny Insect Mind Around The Limitations Or Lack There Of Demiurgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Statistics: Illusion (Broadcast*, +50%; Cosmic, Can heal as well as harm, +50%; Cosmic, Lingering effect, +100%; Mental, +100%; Stigmata, +100%) [125].

So I don't get it, how exactly am I a Matrix/Mage: Ascension style reality warper? In a mechanical sense how do I dodge bullets, cure sickness, make doors appear where they weren't, flood the hotel room on the 27th floor or pull a tommy gun out of my trench coat moments after being patted down by the security?
In a game mechanical sense you can create "illusions" that can do physical damage, or fix it. You can appear to be where you are not. I don't think you could make a door or remove an infectious disease, but you could certainly make a tommygun appear that can do real damage, drown people in illusory floods, and cure hit point damage.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 04-24-2018 at 12:56 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: Wrapping My Puny Insect Mind Around The Limitations Or Lack There Of Demiurgy

The word "Illusion" is an illusion. If everyone believes that something happens, and is really affected, for enough values of "real" and "affect" (and "effect"), then the distinction between reality and illusion is moot. It's as if you're really sitting around a table just imagining stuff that happens, where none of it is really real, and it's all a shared illusion you make up.

Whoa, dude. That's like, so deep and meta. See? It's exactly like the Matrix movies.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Culture20

At best, a mind-trap with biofeedback. Worthy of Xavier or Martian Manhunter. But if you’re up against a battalian of robots without minds to affect, your powers will be useless.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
whswhs

The previous commenters have it basically right. The writeup is

The Illusion lets you make it appear, for example, that you have blasted your enemies with fire. The Mental means that the illusion takes place within the mind of the target, who will feel the burning sensation; it doesn't depend on sending out light or sound waves or radiant heat or the like. The Broadcast means that you can affect multiple targets. The Stigmata means that it inflicts actual damage (in the form of physiological shock and perhaps reactions such as reddening or blistering) proportionate to your margin of victory. The Cosmic: Lingering Effect means that you will leave actual physical traces consistent with your really having hurled fire at your foes: real burns on their skin, possessions with fire damage, perhaps a smell of smoke and ash.

Of course, you need a huge margin of victory to inflict as much damage as, say, a flamethrower. But the real difference, in our standard physically realistic terms, is that you have to have a conscious being to inflict the illusion on. On the other hand, in a universe with the metaphysics of Mage, it's probably true that "to be is to be perceived": You only have a physical universe in the first place because the consensus of observers says there is one.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
David Johnston2

<shrug> If the universe is animistic the wrong illusion could blow a hole in a wall.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
On the other hand, in a universe with the metaphysics of Mage, it's probably true that "to be is to be perceived": You only have a physical universe in the first place because the consensus of observers says there is one.
I would require another layer of Cosmic for this. Perhaps (Cosmic, Subjective Physics, +200%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
<shrug> If the universe is animistic the wrong illusion could blow a hole in a wall.
That could be true too, though I dont think a subjective reality is the same as an animistic one,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would require another layer of Cosmic for this. Perhaps (Cosmic, Subjective Physics, +200%).
I don't think so. Remember that with Stigmata you have a Quick Contest against the average Will of the perceivers.

Of course it gets kind of tricky if you're all by yourself and a computer-controlled tank is about to roll over you. Perhaps you can use your Illusion to attack the tank. But what's your "margin of victory"? Do you just use your margin of success, since there's no conscious mind there to resist? Do you roll against the Will of the person who sent the tank after you, or who will later inspect the damage to the tank? Or are you unable to do anything at all, since there is no other conscious mind to observe? The last is probably fairest in terms of the game mechanics.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think so. Remember that with Stigmata you have a Quick Contest against the average Will of the perceivers.

Of course it gets kind of tricky if you're all by yourself and a computer-controlled tank is about to roll over you. Perhaps you can use your Illusion to attack the tank. But what's your "margin of victory"? Do you just use your margin of success, since there's no conscious mind there to resist? Do you roll against the Will of the person who sent the tank after you, or who will later inspect the damage to the tank? Or are you unable to do anything at all, since there is no other conscious mind to observe? The last is probably fairest in terms of the game mechanics.
Hence the additional Cosmic.
In the case you describe I would assign a default "Universal Will" or a Paradox threshold. Say 12 in most cases but areas where reality is more static you g higher and lower in a more Wyld or Chaos aspected area.
At least if I was going for the subjective reality described in the original Mage.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
That could be true too, though I dont think a subjective reality is the same as an animistic one,
I wasn't suggesting it was. Just pointing a circumstance under which your illusions could stretch the bounds of what they can do.