Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Pyromancers and Pyromania

Is it just me or is Pyromania underpriced when a character can start a fire with their mind? Even if it may consume a resource such as FP.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Pyromancers and Pyromania

Yeah I'd probably adjust the value in that case. It's hard to price every single advantage of disadvantage with view to how it interacts with all other advantages & disadvantages (and as you point no one price would cover all possible combinations anyway)

Equally I might discount Pyromania if someone also took Quadriplegic and couldn't start fires with their mind!

TBH "whenever you have an opportunity to set a fire" is going to be subject to GM assessment. Is that opportunity to set a fire with no regard to personal safety or being caught, or opportunity to set a fire and get way with it (in both ways)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Is it just me or is Pyromania underpriced when a character can start a fire with their mind? Even if it may consume a resource such as FP.
Pyromania is like a mild Compulsive Behavior and is not really priced according to how easy it is to indulge (that hasn't been much of an issue since the availability of cheap, reliable matches), but more on the expense and potential trouble it can cause you. The -5 point value should be taken as an indication that the "trouble" is not usually going to be serious. This old post of Kromm's sheds some firelight on the subject. As he notes there, you can certainly make a more extreme version of the disadvantage, but it is likewise going to create much more serious problems for you.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Toptomcat

Standard Operating Procedure (always carries a flint and steel/book of matches/Zippo/micro fusion torch/TL-appropriate portable firestarter) is a 1-Point Perk.

Last edited by Toptomcat; 04-21-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote