Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Weakness to Sunlight and Vulnerability to Heat/Fire

I was just reading about a vampire's weaknesses in Monster Hunters 3. The feral vampire has both Weakness (Sunlight; 1d per minute; Variable) and Vulnerability (Heat/Fire ¥2). Quoting from that volume: "a mere touch of sunlight does 2d injury immediately" and "All injury described here includes the Vulnerability; do not factor it in again."

From that information, it seems that a Vulnerability to Heat/Fire would include sunlight. Is that correct? I would have assumed that sunlight is very common rarity.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Weakness to Sunlight and Vulnerability to Heat/Fire

That is a bit odd, Sunlight should be very common while Heat/Fire should be common.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
Anthony

Hm. I wonder if that's an error. I was under the impression Weakness damage was never modified by other effects.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hm. I wonder if that's an error. I was under the impression Weakness damage was never modified by other effects.
"This injury comes off your HP directly, regardless of your DR or other defensive advantages." (B161)

It doesn't explicitly say that it is never modified, but it sure seems to imply it.

As for the different rarities, Vulnerability calculates rarity as an attack, as per DR, whereas Weakness calculates rarity as occurrent substance. I don't think this changes with the Vampire's expansion of possible Heat/Fire damaging effects to sunlight (it remains narrower than "all energy attacks" which is one of the examples given for Very Common).
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

I would assume that it would not stack myself, as Sunlight is not Heat/Fire, unless the vampire was tossed into a star.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Yeah, sunlight is EM radiation. It's not like albinos suffer extra in saunas.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Bruno

I would have written it as"heat, fire, and sunlight" but I wouldn't change the cost from common to very common.

Actually taking damage from sunlight is not a very common occurrence, out takes long exposure. While the weakness does make it more common, it's still not nearly close to "all energy".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Black Leviathan

Yeah it was clumsily written but I can see the argument of Sunlight as a category of radiant energy like fire and heat, or things presumed to be against Darkness. The logic of vampiric weaknesses isn't based in modern science.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would assume that it would not stack myself, as Sunlight is not Heat/Fire, unless the vampire was tossed into a star.
Sunlight may not be fire, but the Weakness that vampires have to sunlight represents catching on fire. So yeah. They stack. The reason why sunlight isn't Very Common is because it's not that hard to avoid just by staying indoors. But its still a more common hazard than being attacked with a flam
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

Which mythology and/or which fiction? In some, they turn to dust. In others, they rot. In yet others, it reminds them that they should be dead and so they start to die. In the archetypal modern vampire story, sunlight only weakens Dracula and does him no direct harm. There is no universal truth concerning sunlight and vampires.