Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #201
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I do plan to pick up DFRPG sooner or latter, but glad to hear that it can be later. Sadly, I do much more reading of game materials than playing…
There's a lot of that going around.

The one thing that will maybe be an issue for the DFRPG-based products is page references and things like "use this monster on p. 34." Obviously you can wing it, but the point of these adventures is to not have to wing it.

If you can find an obvious analog to a rule or critter, go for it. If not . . . for quickness' sake you might nab the monsters book.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #202
LokRobster

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I do plan to pick up DFRPG sooner or latter, but glad to hear that it can be later. Sadly, I do much more reading of game materials than playing…
For both readability and entertainment content, I highly recommend DFRPG PDFs. The tone, organization, presentation and straight-up fun references all make it really worth the price of admission.

Gaming Ballistic’s books are amazing, too. ;)

I’ve been systematically infecting gifting the DFRPG box set to all my extended family with young teenagers. Just dropped a box tonight with some young cousins in Newton, Kansas :) my goal this year is to set up a video-based session with these kids in Kansas, Oregon, San Antonio and Dallas, using Hall of Judgement.

I’m hoping to beat out Fortnite and Minecraft for a few afternoons!
Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #203
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I do plan to pick up DFRPG sooner or latter, but glad to hear that it can be later.
If you do decide to run a game, a word of caution. It'd be easier to start with DF/RPG* and move away from it†, than to start with 'generic fantasy heartbreaker' and move to DF/RPG.

* I like to write "DF/RPG" to denote both Dungeon Fantasy RolePlaying Game Powered by Gurps and the Dungeon Fantasy line. While they aren't 'the same' they are nigh identical. If you do grab DFRPG, it's dead easy to pick up DF titles to fluff out the holes in DFRPG, like Wilderness rules, Allies, etc.

† For instance moving away from DF/RPG you just let the PCs start picking up skills out of Profession (particularly social skills). But trying to convert characters over to DF/RPG? I'd just a new campaign, it'd be easier.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #204
beetle496

I recently got my hard copy of Hall of Judgement.

I liked enough that I just ordered DF as well. Talk about up-selling!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #205
DouglasCole

Quote:
I recently got my hard copy of Hall of Judgement.

I liked enough that I just ordered DF as well. Talk about up-selling!
Woot! That IS an up-sell.

And there's lots more Nordlond coming. Citadel is already there (and it's a very versatile setting, even if I do say so myself). And two more adventures are in production, hopefully hitting the printer in a month or month and a half.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #206
beetle496

Yeah @DouglasCole, you should get a commission!

I was confused about why there was a 2nd edition? And if it was really worth twice as much? But it so beautiful, now I wish I paid the extra money right off.

But I am such a hypocrite, I am going to see how (and if) the Hall of Judgment play goes — before committing. Plus, I think I just missed your KS.

Last edited by beetle496; 02-06-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #207
DouglasCole

Quote:
Yeah @DouglaCole, you should get a commission!

I was confused about why there was a 2nd edition? And if it was really worth twice as much? But it so beautiful, now I wish I paid the extra money right off.

But I am such a hypocrite, I am going to see how (and if) the Hall of Judgment play goes — before committing. Plus, I think I just missed your KS.
So, "twice as much" isn't quite right. There are only a few 1st edition books left from the original print run, and I'm hoping to clear them out by putting them on sale for 50% less. The retail price for the 1st edition book is $25.

The upgrades are a sewn binding, better combat maps, and thicker, higher quality paper. All of that meant that I had to get a new ISBN and since the content was changed, that's a new edition by any stretch. I could have simply reprinted the old book with the old art...but I didn't want to.

The price of $28 is in line (actually a buck and a half low) with what my standard pricing is for a 128 page book (which should be $29.50 in 8x10 format).
Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #208
beetle496

Well, I paid $12.50 for the 1e version, and I am so impressed that I would be happy to pay $28 for the 2e version. (So that does seems like “twice as much” to me.) Once I get the 2e version, I will carefully remove and hole punch the 1e pages to have a loose-leaf copies of the Bestiary and Sample Characters that I can hand to players.

Any idea if SJG is carrying the 1e or 2e version? I cannot tell from their description.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #209
DouglasCole

Quote:
Well, I paid $12.50 for the 1e version, and I am so impressed that I would be happy to pay $28 for the 2e version. (So that does seems like “twice as much” to me.) Once I get the 2e version, I will carefully remove and hole punch the 1e pages to have a loose-leaf copies of the Bestiary and Sample Characters that I can hand to players.

Any idea if SJG is carrying the 1e or 2e version? I cannot tell from their description.
They are currently carrying 1e in print, and 2e in PDF. I'm working with them to get the print stuff listed. If you'd like a copy of 2d in print, hit up my webstore and I can sort you out quickly.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #210
beetle496

Woot! I clicked the pre-order link for All Nordlond At Once this morning (before going to work) and have six downloads now!

To re-cap: Cheap @$$ Beetle, who routinely complains about paying $6 for a PDF, takes a chance on a DF supplement from a maker he doesn’t know, but which is discounted for $12.50 on the maker’s site.

A week later he has spent $135 on DF and $155 on the maker’s other books.

Folks, I cannot endorse this work more than that!

(Plus, now, I have no need to cut up the 1e copy!)