Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Magesmiley

Default Car Wars Projects?

The board has been kind of quiet lately, so I thought I'd inquire what sort of Car Wars projects people are currently working on.

Myself, I'm gearing up for one of my triple scale Car Wars tournaments at Dragonflight next month. I'm hoping to finish the new 3X arena that I'm building (and if I don't, my Rainbow Bay setup will get used instead).

This one is pretty massive - 100" x 64". The basic parts are cut out and most of the gluing has been done. I'm experimenting with something a bit different to see how well it works - foam with a plastic liner glued to it. The thinking is that it has roughly the weight of foam, but a bit more rigidity (kind of like a super-sized piece of foam core).

Next up is paint and figuring out how I'm going to hook everything together in a stable manner that won't fall apart too easily.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
MazeMonster
Banned

Default Re: Car Wars Projects?

Waiting for 6th Edition is my project.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The basic parts are cut out and most of the gluing has been done.
In progress pictures would be cool.

Nothing going on my end. We're about to gear up on a Savage Worlds Rifts campaign but I should try to squeeze in a game of Car Wars.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
43Supporter

Dug out a copy of 1st-ed. _Dueltrack_; am going through and "updating" the vehicles therein, starting with the C&C designs (to include "modernized" versions of the C&C designs, as a sort of "evolutionary process").

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
swordtart

Plotting the next (and probably final) encounter in the road campaign.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Blue Ghost

I briefly thought of making some arenas, but I've got too many other things to get done. I really liked the Dumbarton Arena from KublaCon, and thought it would be a really cool thing to duplicate* that type of map for all the other arenas, but I don't have a CW gaming group, and again I'm too tied up with other things.

I was going to write and propose an RP book to SJGames for strictly CW, not GURPS Autoduel, but it's on the backburner, and someone else spilled lots of those beans. Still, I may write it anyway, and probably will, but perhaps post it for free on a website.

* really can't stand "replicate" as the term of choice.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
In progress pictures would be cool.
I've got more pictures, but here's the arena loosely assembled. I've been taking notes as I go along and will probably assemble this into a coherent how it was built when I'm done.

That is a Hot Wheels car sitting on the upper deck for scale.

I've got some cleanup to do still - there's some gaps, and I forgot to account for the thickness of the plastic when I made the pieces that fit in the gates (which will require some trimming).

And then painting. Gray for anywhere the cars can drive (floor, top deck, top of ramps), black for the outer walls, red for the thin walls and the sides of the ramps, and blue for the side of the upper deck and the corner bunkers. With a nice red K, E, A, or R on the top of the corner bunkers.

I'm probably going to try using some wooden dowels and long, large nails to hold the arena together. Possibly aided by a large piece of elastic all the way around. And if that doesn't work, the black duct tape should work for now. :)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 07-28-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
LokRobster

I've got cars, cycles, and pedestrians that need painting, but it'll have to be after I get back from some work travels. Still have a long term goal of building a collapsible (portable/storable) center mall area of the Armadillo Arena so it can set up on 3 large tables. I'm thinking 2x scale, but it'll work for 3x too... oh and like ten HO scale vehicles I am gonna fab up in prep for CW6.

More immediately I've got to post up our NTADA July 4th event. We had a lot of fun 2 weeks ago and I gotta share :) Division 7.5 with 8 drivers, 2 of them totally new to CW.

Driving cross country always puts me in an Autoduelling mood, and I'll be driving Texas to Idaho and Texas to Maine in the next 60 days so I've got that to look forward to!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 AM   #9
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I've got more pictures, but here's the arena loosely assembled.
Heh, Warrior Stadium. Looks like it'll turn out OK. :)

Our monthly Car Wars event is this Saturday, so I need to make a vehicle. It's at Portland, a.k.a. "The arena I wanted to fix when laying it out but the rest of the group overrode me." Can't win 'em all, I guess.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
Blue Ghost

you're driving all the way to Portland from Minneapolis-St. Paul for a game? >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote