Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
Proteus

Default Re: [Star Trek] Klingon Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Would you if I asked?!
If given the Klingon text, more or less phonetically, along with a translation, I'd be willing to make a go of it. I don't speak the language... though I did join in when my wife's cousin toasted his daughter with "K'pla!" at her wedding. :-)

Quote:
Current adventure designers should really consider adding audio and/or multimedia "hand-outs" as a matter of course.
Pyramid has already included a spreadsheet. Can MP3 files be far behind?
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Worf if a very special case, and truthfully I wouldn't consider him a Klingon Warrior. He is a Starfleet officer who considers himself a Klingon Warrior (and has a very idealised view of what that is). Many Klingons viewed him as an outsider. Much of his Code of Honour and respect of a broader class of people comes from his human upbringing and Starfleet training, rather than his Klingon heritage.
Besdes, Worf only underwent the Second Rite of Ascension on the holodeck. He may even have missed the First Rite altogether.

On the other tip of the Batl'evh they did de-sash him once and I don't think they could do that if he wasn't a warrior in the first place.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Besdes, Worf only underwent the Second Rite of Ascension on the holodeck. He may even have missed the First Rite altogether.
There was an implication that Klingons living on Earth - for example at a Klingon embassy may have done Worf's First Rite of Ascension with him.

Quote:
On the other tip of the Batl'eth they did de-sash him once and I don't think they could do that if he wasn't a warrior in the first place.
Its not a 'de-sashing' - its called Discommendation,
take a look: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Discommendation

If you were thinking of the moment in the same episode where Duras rips the sash off of Worf - that wasn't proper or part of the 'protocol'. That was just Duras hoping to get a rise out of Worf, and Worf not giving him the satisfaction.

Keep in mind that in many ways Worf is the exception to the rule or the overboard exaggeration of many aspects to Klingon culture and society - because he is a window into that world and a viewpoint character. Since he wasn't really raised 'klingon' for a chunk of his youth he often over-compensates by tying to hard to be Klingon or what he believes is properly Klingon.

During the DS9 years , they often show Worf either dissapointed by other Klingons or at least a tad surprised or annoyed with them.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #34
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post

Its not a 'de-sashing' - its called Discommendation,
I know it's called Discommendation. I just avoid that for being a nonsense word. :)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #35
quarkstomper

I always referred to it as "Dumbo is No Longer an Elephant!"
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
Worf if a very special case, and truthfully I wouldn't consider him a Klingon Warrior. He is a Starfleet officer who considers himself a Klingon Warrior (and has a very idealised view of what that is). Many Klingons viewed him as an outsider. Much of his Code of Honour and respect of a broader class of people comes from his human upbringing and Starfleet training, rather than his Klingon heritage.
Well he was a "Klingon"(someone from the species Klingon) and he was a "warrior"(a professional headcracker). So in that sense he was a Klingon Warrior. That doesn't mean he was a "Klingon warrior" per se. But Martok accepted him as a member of his house.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #37
borithan

Yes, and he does seem to have been accepted as a "warrior" by many Klingons. However, he still isn't really an archetypal Klingon Warrior (ie, if I was looking for someone to embody what that is, I wouldn't choose him). As Qoltar mentioned he often overcompensates (and has a very idealised image of the Klingon warrior) and at many points is disappointed by the reality of Klingon Warriors. His concept of honour is far stricter and less flexible than a Klingon's. Throughout Star Trek it is increasingly shown that the Warrior families actually get up to a whole lot of what strict interpretations of honour would consider dishonourable politicking. Yes, most of the families have certain lines they will not cross but they will all take full advantage of circumstances when they are presented to them and minor dirty deeds are ok as long as you are not caught doing them. Worf just doesn't work in this climate.

Much of his concept of honour (and his self control) seems to come more from living on Earth. In DS9 it is commented that he doesn't really go into the whole hard drinkin' and playin' aspect of the Klingon Warrior (he does loosen up a bit later on). Taken from a Klingon growing up on Earth that kind of makes sense, as he could probably easily seriously hurt other young people if he went for it (and the Federation is generally a little less forgiving of the occasional accidental death). The whole treating people more generally with respect (aside from the truly dishonourable, like the Duras... and Romulans) is entirely Federation/Starfleet rather than anything Klingon.

Basically Intolerance seems a reasonable trait for a proper Klingon Warrior, even if it isn't exhibited by Worf.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:

Basically Intolerance seems a reasonable trait for a proper Klingon Warrior, even if it isn't exhibited by Worf.
I don't agree.

I don't really see it as intolerance - trying to think of a better name or term.
Something that means 'low tolerance for those that don't even attempt a code of honor'.

For example:
Quark gained Gowron's respect when he stood up to D'Ghor and shamed him in the Great Hall. Gowron got a 'kick' out of the Ferengi showing an unexpected spine in the situation.

Captain Picard was treated with regard and high respect by at least 3 or 4 Klingons that weren't Worf. Remember Worf's brother Kurn suddenly changed his mind about trying caviar when he heard it was one of Picard's favorite dishes.

The Klingon chef/restaurant owner on Deep Space Nine was always impressed with non-Klingons that could speak the language or knew a bit about Klingon music.

Heck, the Klingons on the IKC Pagh were both impressed and relieved to see that Riker had a sense of humor.

So.....after seeing SO many Klingon-oriented episodes repeatedly over the years (the 'curse' of having been in a Klingon-oriented fan club for over 10 years for a brief while) the conclusion I came to was that Klingons respect those 'non-Klingons' who can keep up with them as they party or show some kind of respect for Klingon culture. Truthfully thats a trrait thats common to many human sub-cultures today.

After second thought - maybe all Klingons should get a version of Pride or Proud (of Klingon culture/society)

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #39
borithan

Many cases I would say that those Warriors view the opposing characters as at least honourary "warriors". Picard is a famous and feted Starship captain (Captain of the Flagship no less), probably the closest thing the Federation has to a "warrior". Riker is also a senior officer on a Starship, has volunteered for service on the Klingon vessel, and confounds many of their prejudices (and even goes on to engage in the very physical form of discipline the Klingons use). Not sure these really show anything counter to the view. Also, in Gurps terms, both characters probably have significant levels of Charisma and similar social advantages which help offset the reaction penalties caused by Intolerance.

I don't remember the Klingon Chef ever having been confirm as a warrior either (though I admit I may be wrong) so the idea of having an Intolerance for Warriors doesn't really apply.

Quark... maybe that does argue against it, but again he is acting counter to expectations maybe making the Klingons think that maybe he has something of a "warrior spirit" within him (he is standing up to someone who would be expected to smear him across the floor in a fight). Anyway, he is at least showing moral strength or courage that they don't expect from a Ferengi. Maybe Intolerant (the Weak) or (the Craven) or something similar would be better? I don't think someone holding to a code of honour would suffice, as I doubt very many Klingon Warriors would respect a pacifist, even if it was a position held due to strongly held beliefs and based on a sense of what honourable behaviour is about. They would probably just regard them as weak, or just justifying veiled cowardice.

Last edited by borithan; 08-14-2011 at 08:33 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #40
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I've added Hard to Subdue, to reflect their ability to keep on ticking, as an option. I'm not convinced I've seen Klingons acting more resilient than any warrior of any race to put it in my 'official' template. But, this is a matter I could potentially be talked out of.
In addition to some other changes, I've dropped Hard to Subdue and added a Berserk option.

Klingon Template [10 pts]
[ 0] Cultural Familiarity (Klingon)
[ 0] Language: Klingonese

[10] ST +1

[ 1] Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Inflexible, -20%; Partial-Skull, -70%)
[ 3] Damage Resistance 3 (Ablative, -80%) (redundant organs, G:P p. 46)
[ 2] Extended Lifespan 1 (live 150+ years)
[ 2] Fearlessness 1
[ 2] Hard to Kill 1
[ 0] Early Maturation 1 (maturity at 8 years, BT212)
choose -10 points from among
[-10†] Berserker (CR 12)
[-10†] Bloodlust (CR 12)
[-10] Intolerance (nonKlingons)
[ -5] Odious Personal Habit (Body Odor: earthy, peaty aroma)

[ 0] Feature: dark skin and cranial ridges, ht/wt typical of ST
[ 0] Feature: 1.03g - 1.43g, 65° - 120°F comfort zones

Klingon Augment Virus Afflicted Lens [-13 pts]
[-10] remove ST +1
[ -5] Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen within Klingon Empire)
[ -1] remove Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Inflexible, -20%; Partial-Skull, -70%)
[ -2] remove Fearlessness 1
[+5] change "choose -10" to "choose -5" for disadvantages
[ 0] Feature: remove cranial ridges, etc.
Note: The augment virus affliction did not lower strength; but as a maligned subspecies they weakened over time.

Klingon Warrior Caste Lens [5 pts]
[10] ST +1

[ 5] Social Regard (Feared)

choose -10 points from among
[-10†] Bully
[ -5] Callous
[-10] Code of Honor (Klingon Warrior) (similar to Bushido, MA53)
[-10] Intolerance (nonWarriors)
[ -1] Delusion (I can see in an opponent's eyes any intent to kill)

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-04-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: changed augment lens disads
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
klingon, racial template, racial templates, star trek