Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Depicting "under construction" bioroids

I'm not thinking of bioroids themselves being transparent, so much as the biogenesis tanks being transparent. If a bioroid is built skeleton-first, someone who walks through a lab where one is being assembled in a biogenesis tank could see some strange things.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I'm not thinking of bioroids themselves being transparent, so much as the biogenesis tanks being transparent.
Yeah, we were talking about the tank being transparent or not. While cinematically appropriate, it doesn't make sense otherwise. It might well resemble, say, a commercial brewery (bunch of big metal tanks and other tubes).
Old 04-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, we were talking about the tank being transparent or not. While cinematically appropriate, it doesn't make sense otherwise. It might well resemble, say, a commercial brewery (bunch of big metal tanks and other tubes).
Though you'd need a door to get them out. Actually, a set of biogenesis tanks might look more like a morgue than anything.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

I just never got why bioroid and cold sleep tanks are so often upright. Why wouldn't they be horizontal for safety?

One could split the difference and have the tanks technically opaque but with a surface projection of the internal section.

Also I'd imagine multiple collections of connective tissues only used for the growing stage that gets severed and later recycled. That would create nicely inhuman imagery.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I just never got why bioroid and cold sleep tanks are so often upright. Why wouldn't they be horizontal for safety?
They're likely depicted that way for cinematic reasons, though it's also the way a living person floats (of course, that's because we have air in our lungs, which is not likely to apply to growth tanks).
Old 04-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #16
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I've always pictured something more like the regeneration reactor in 5th Element, although that's assembling in slices, instead of layers from the inside out.

There are horror examples, of bodies regenerating, like in Hellraiser. It's often created by melting a layered mannequin and then showing it backwards.
So something like that maybe?
Fluids are triggered to harden into bone, then organs congeal and solidify, etc. Each piece forms as if it were decay in reverse.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #17
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
They're likely depicted that way for cinematic reasons, though it's also the way a living person floats (of course, that's because we have air in our lungs, which is not likely to apply to growth tanks).
This is actually an interesting point. You could envision bioroids having oxygen masks on at least when they're undergoing VR learning. But maybe they have an artificial umbilical cord—attach it to the normal place and you solve the problem of not having bioroids look weird due to lack of a belly button.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #18
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I've always pictured something more like the regeneration reactor in 5th Element, although that's assembling in slices, instead of layers from the inside out.

There are horror examples, of bodies regenerating,
Oh trust me, watching a bioroid created would likely evoke horrified reactions in most people. Even if they aren't pure biological, they're biological enough that watching them grow would probably be kind of like watching ongoing surgery and self-animated meat and so forth. To make it worse, as they grew and took on humanoid form they'd land squarely in the deepest part of the uncanny valley.

The Frankenstein comparison is probably more apt than one might think. In the novel, part of the reason the creature was so repellant was the uncanny valley effect, as Victor's recollections of the night he animated him make clear. A bioroid growing in a transparent tank would likely be worse.

This might not affect professionals, just as morticians lose any squeamishness about corpses. But a typical joe or jane off the street? Quite a different reaction, I suspect.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
Kale

The way Westworld's hosts are depicted is pretty interesting. There are even 'drone' versions of hosts that don't have the 'outer casing' put on to look human.

Drone on the left, normal 'host' on the right:
https://images.app.goo.gl/ZjyN8SV6RAPtZXx5A
Old 04-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #20
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
To make it worse, as they grew
Do they grow? I always assumed they are assembled from vat grown components and that this is a major reason why they are relatively simple to build. No DNA necessary to cover all stages from foetus over child to adult. Just grow an adult heart, liver etc and put them together.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote