Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Minuteman37
 
Minuteman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kenai, Alaska
Default [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Hi SJGames, I was pondering the idea of running a WW2 Time Travel game with a group of new players and I wanted to keep everything simple and rules lite, but I'm woundering is there any sort of must have optional rule or source Book I should keep in mind? Disregarding the obvious like high-tech for guns and 3e's WWII line.

Also any general advice for running a game with gurps lite?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
sonic232
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Hi SJGames, I was pondering the idea of running a WW2 Time Travel game with a group of new players and I wanted to keep everything simple and rules lite, but I'm woundering is there any sort of must have optional rule or source Book I should keep in mind? Disregarding the obvious like high-tech for guns and 3e's WWII line.

Also any general advice for running a game with gurps lite?
Other than GURPS Infinite Worlds for ideas on how to handle your time travel mechanics? I can't think of much else that you'd need.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

If the time travel itself is the only paranormal/superscience thing in the campaign, all you should need besides Lite and High-Tech is some cards to act as cheat sheets for things like Aim, that one guy who puts a scope on his rifle, and other combat actions new players haven't memorized yet.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Lite lacks rules for automatic fire. If WWII doesn't feel right without Germans firing Schmeissers, you'll need the Basic rules for autofire handy.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Lite lacks rules for automatic fire. If WWII doesn't feel right without Germans firing Schmeissers, you'll need the Basic rules for autofire handy.
Or just assume the other bullets are for show. Which is how action movies often seem to handle them.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Or just assume the other bullets are for show. Which is how action movies often seem to handle them.
But will the PCs be happy with that happening to their shots?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
smurf
Finding Neo
 
smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

If the characters do not have History or any Expert skill in that relative social science then punish them for noting knowing squat about what is happening.

Many students in some parts of the world have no relevant knowledge to that period because relatives (dads, grandads, uncles etc) were not in the war. So make sure that the players do not assume their characters know anything much about the conflict.
smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Also keep in mind TL penalties for using older technology with TL8 skills.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #9
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Also keep in mind TL penalties for using older technology with TL8 skills.
This honestly should not apply to using firearms. Maintenance, maybe.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 AM   #10
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
If the characters do not have History or any Expert skill in that relative social science then punish them for noting knowing squat about what is happening.

Many students in some parts of the world have no relevant knowledge to that period because relatives (dads, grandads, uncles etc) were not in the war. So make sure that the players do not assume their characters know anything much about the conflict.
I'd sort of assume that they would have received some sort training/briefing if they're part of some sort of agency
scc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lite, wwii

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.