Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 AM   #1
kane100574

Default Trapped in the Living Tomb-Pyramid solo

Okay, so I have dived headfirst into this game... My kids and wife wanting to all play. So I am trying to figure it all out...

Needless to say, I am overwhelmed slightly...

So... I read about the solo adventure in Pyramid. I buy the mag to check it out and did it. There were a few places I was confused and numbers didn't make sense to me. (this isn't too surprising, honestly, lol)

So... To help me gain my new GM skills and understanding... Anyone familiar with the solo mag quest?

Step 88- There is a section that is stated below...

"Attack one sword. Make a Rapier roll at -4 (it’s small and fast) for an effective skill of 17. The swords don’t try to defend, so if you succeed, you hit. If you roll a 3-6, you get a critical hit, while a roll of 18 is a critical miss; see below for both. "

Can you explain where the -4 modifier comes from? I realize you would have have to have the mag with the character sheet that comes with it etc to see the numbers... But I am really trying to grasp all the math and modifiers and details so everyone can have a good time...

Thanks for any help.
kane100574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Trapped in the Living Tomb-Pyramid solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane100574 View Post
Step 88- There is a section that is stated below...

"Attack one sword. Make a Rapier roll at -4 (it’s small and fast) for an effective skill of 17. . .
There are modifiers for target size and quick-moving targets. You'll find them in the Size and Speed/Range Table on pp. 97-98 of Exploits. Usefully, those modifiers normally come out as zero for hand-to-hand combat against human-sized opponents.

The swords you're fighting against have a total modifier of -4, but the adventure doesn't specify how that's calculated. Don't worry about that. Just use the modifier.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
LokRobster

Maybe “small” for -3 to hit, and “fast” for -1 to hit. Figure the writer of the adventure weighed all the factors and that’s the total. Picture trying to hit a pirouetting piece of steel zipping through the air compared to an enemy standing in front of you.
It’s one of those ‘GM call’ adjustments that you’ll run into all the time in DFRPG. As GM you kinda look at how difficult some task would be and say “mmmm this will be a bit harder than normal, how about a -2 to your roll in this case?”
Or “this is nigh-unto-impossible for normal folk, you’ll be rolling at a -10”.

It would be boring to always roll under a 17 under 3 dice, after all. :-) modifiers make it more fun.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Dalin

Also, under "Attacking Weapons" (Exploits, p. 37), the standard attack penalty is "‑4 for a reach 1 melee weapon (e.g., broadsword or mace)." Based on the same paragraph, I surmise that the penalty would be -5 if they had been flying daggers or -3 if they were larger weapons like spears or greatswords.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
kane100574

Ahhhh, GM VooDoo and modifiers that weren't explained. Okay, thank you. I truly appreciate everyone's time in explaining it to me.

I have three older teenagers and wife character sheets to go over with them soon.

THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
I have three older teenagers and wife character sheets to go over with them soon.

You're going to have a blast! My 10-year-old went to a friend's house to play D&D today. Before leaving, he hunted up his D&D dice and said, "I wish I could bring my Dungeon Fantasy dice instead!" He's a convert, through and through.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Joe

Quote:

Good luck, Kane! And don't forget to let us know how it goes!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
kane100574

Thanks, and I will...

Currently (Trying very very hard) to figure out the numbers...

So, so, so, so many things to keep track of as the GM...

*Makes a sanity roll**