Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Cheese8242

Default Rod of Lardly Meat

Ok, last night I had some friends over who were just dying to play MQ and really wanted me to demo the game for them.

And as per the norm with a new game certian questions came up. The biggest one was about the Rod of Lardly Meat. This card says (and forgive me since I don't have the card in front of me) something to the effect of "Use at any time. Eat(discard) to regain all your health tokens." Not the exact wording, but very close.

Now the problem came up when one of the players was fighting two monsters at once and had to run away. He took his first two hits for failing to defeat the monsters, and took a third hit for failing to run away from the first monster. Before running away from the second monster he wanted to stop and eat his Rod of Lardly Meat to regain his health incase he failed to run away again (to of course stop from being killed).

Now, although the card says "Use at any time" one of the other players said that it shouldn't be able to take effect during that moment, especially since he had already made one attempt to run away.

I ruled for that instance as the card said to "Use at any time" that it was ok, but promised to bring this up here on the forums. What would everyone else's opinion be?
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
MIB2826

Default Re: Rod of Lardly Meat

p5 Actions On Any Player's Turn
At any time at all you can: Use a Curse, or any other card that says "at any time".
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
p5 Actions On Any Player's Turn
At any time at all you can: Use a Curse, or any other card that says "at any time".

That's exactly the reason I ruled the way I did. Just wanted to ask, since it sparked a debate at the table and since I told the players I would.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Solelron
Banned

I so picture this halfling cleric running down the hall chomping on a big stick of meat with the lightning gazebo chasing him :)
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
O'Keefe

Jan's right. Use any time means what it says.

Always remember that this is Munchkin. Things that seem like they should be against the rules are generally the munchkinly thing to do.

Before you take an action that might kill you is the best time to regain health.

We laugh at people who are holding a healing potion, but don't remember to use it before they fail a run away roll that kills them.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Phazon Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solelron
I so picture this halfling cleric running down the hall chomping on a big stick of meat with the lightning gazebo chasing him :)
I picture somebody squirting a healing potion on themselves and then running away, thereby becoming Family Guy's Greased-Up Deaf Guy.

"Ain't never gonna catch meee . . ."
Newbie MIB! MIB #4256!
Phazon Elite is offline   Reply With Quote