Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

I'm looking for information on what adventuring gear would be available to a secret black ops team operating under the auspices of the US Department of Homeland Security in 2017. This in relation to our supers/technothriller game Project Jade Serenity, where Operation Onyx Rain is a classified joint task force and/or conspiracy primarily falling under the Department of Homeland Security and dedicated to dealing with the fallout from secret experiments on US Army soldiers on 1999-2000.

The next adventure and the second season of Jade Serenity will be set in Mexico, more specifically in the Juarez Valley, Chihuahua. Here's a teaser capsule of proposed cover IDs and such. It looks like Agent Rubio will be a Latin Queen going by the streetname 'La Duquesa'* and Agent O'Toole and Chase Taylor would be bikers from the Iron Order hired as security/muscle by Dr. Anderson, there to obtain drugs that are more heavily restricted on the US. Cherry Bell would be... his travelling companion.

Here is a price list for black market firearms available through a contact near the Texas border.
Edit: I'm taking suggestions on what characters from the first season of Jade Serenity might choose to carry in Chihuahua, Mexico.

What less-than-lethal methods of self-defence ought Dr. Anderson bring with him over the border from El Paso?**

What firearms should Agent O'Toole buy from the black market dealer / HSI informant they meet a few miles over the border?

What weapons should Chase Taylor choose, if he gets to be armed?

Should someone be dumb enough to arm Sherilyn 'Cherry' Bell, which weapons would suit her?

*My OOC suggestion of 'La reina roja' was unaccountably rejected, which totally ruined the 'Through the Looking Glass' theme of code names that would have resulted. Dr. Anderson is clearly a Mad Hatter, Cherry Bell is Alice and that would leave Iron Order bikers O'Toole and Taylor as Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
**He'll be travelling with a Special Agent of the CBP and another of the ICE-HSI, so the worst that will happen if someone stops his truck and finds the hidden compartment is that they show their ID and some Border Patrol officers become aware of that some operation is going on.

---

If things work out with Onyx Rain, I imagine that Chase Taylor, my character, will act as a quartermaster of sorts, obtaining necessary equipment through requests to our handlers or perhaps even private purchases in some cases. It is not exactly clear to our PCs if the team they are working for has any kind of official sanction or if they represent a shadowy conspiracy within the US Government.

In any case, they might sometimes be instructed to pretend to be employees of some agency under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), either the OIG or possibly APHIS, when operating in the US. In such cases, they'll be issued immaculate badges and ID cards, ones that even appear in computer databases accessible by Federal law enforcement, but warned that determined attempts to check the identities on those will eventually result in the earlier positive response being written off as a computer glitch and that the request must have the wrong badge number.

When pretending to be Federal agents, the characters (or increasingly more likely, NPCs we don't trust all that much) will probably carry borrowed gear and sidearms identical to those carried by Special Agents from the Department of Homeland Security.

I believe most Special Agents under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security will carry weapons approved by the Director of the Office of of Firearms and Tactical Programs (OFTP). That means that they mostly follow the lead of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and carry something approved for HSI agents.

I understand that the DHS bought a lot of SIG P229 DAK pistols in .40 S&W some years ago and that they also authorise the carrying of Glock 17 9mm pistols and the SIG P226 .40 S&W in either DA or with the DAK trigger system for some armed employees. HSI Special Agents can also apparently get permission to carry compact pistols like the SIG P239 .40 S&W, Glock 26 9x19mm and H&K P2000 SK .40 S&W.

The Department of Homeland Security apparently decided recently that the new issue sidearm for their largest agencies would be the modular SIG P320 in 9x19mm, the pistol which will also become the standard issue for the US Army. Allegedly, the SIG MPX submachine gun in 9x19mm will also be adopted for all Special Response Teams and high-risk warrant service under the Deparment of Homeland Security, but I don't know if that means that any and all 5.56mm carbines already in arsenals will be sold or destroyed immediately.

Here are some pistols in .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .460 Rowland, including a conversion of an MPA10 'Mac-10' pistol into an SMG chambered in .460 Rowland.

1) Do we have GURPS stats for the SIG P320 in 9x19mm? What about the SIG MPX in 9x19mm?

2) What brands of short-barrelled carbines, patrol rifles or shortguns are most likely to be available in DHS arsenals? Do they use military models bought from the same manufacturers as the armed forces or do they buy from a specialty manufacturer like the FBI do? I remember a lot of discussion in the media when the DHS was seeking to buy some 7,000 carbines or personal defence weapons, in 5.56mm, but I couldn't find any sign whether they eventually went through with the purchase and if they did, what models they bought and from which manufacturers.

3) Using Pulver's "Eidetic Memory: Cutting Edge Armor Design" from Pyramid #3-85, it's possible to make bodysuits with limb DR 9/3, torso DR 18/7 and ceramic inserts over the vitals that give DR 30/19, but come out to less than 10 lbs. and can be concealed under any kind of clothing. Does anyone make real ninja suits like this in our world? What are some of the real-world drawbacks that a gaming treatment that is mostly limited to noting DR, Cost and Weight glosses over? Why don't special operations personnel have DR 9/3 full-body suits that weigh 6.3 lbs. (5.04 lbs. with Optimised Fabric) as the fragment-proof underlayer to their tactical vests and trauma plates?

4) Has Hans-Christian Vortisch written an article updating his excellent work in US Federal Agency Armaments 2001?
Edit: He did! Sweet, sweet Police Weapons in the USA: Federal Agencies (Copyright Grey Tiger 2008-2016)! Inexplicably hard to find, but oh, so worth it.

5) Are there any Pyramid articles that do the same kind of thing for the arsenal and toys of Federal security and law enforcement agencies as Kenneth Peter's 'Modern Warfighters: Gear' in Pyramid #3-57 does for modern military equipment?

6) Does anyone have suggestions for cool technothriller stuff for my character to request?

Edit: Things I'm currently considering are cool new cartridges for extreme long range performance from carbine or assault rifle size semi-automatics and stats for the .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Creedmoor and other fun rounds.

NEW EDIT!

Also, thoughts on TL8 optics, houserules for optics, optic Bulk and optic MinST.

Some TL8 compact surveillance binoculars, spotting scopes and surveillance binoculars.

Concealing longarms.

Modern answer to the DeLisle carbine, a Wilson Combat .458 SOCOM upper on an M4 lower.

Questions on compact AK carbines, i.e. Mini Draco, AKS-74U, etc.

Some background questions on military enlistments, for our new PC.

Questions on Norinco weapons, especially military ones for use by cartel gunmen.

Thoughts on the AAC Honey Badger and SIG MCX LVAW in .300 Blackout. Also touches on the Hearing Distance Table and some real suppressor models and dB measurements.

AK rifles and Acc

JSOC Concealable Sniper Rifle (CSR)?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops