Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
eqdj67

Default Super Munchkin Origin Cards

In Super Munchkin, every Origin Card starts out with
Quote:
Play this card on any player at any time time except during combat.
What does it mean to play an Origin card on somebody? We thought this was odd. Why would I want go give somebody extra Ranks of Power?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Heegu

Default Re: Super Munchkin Origin Cards

I haven't played super munchkin but you could use the card to bribe someone or to trade it for an item card or another origin card.
Heegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heegu View Post
I haven't played super munchkin but you could use the card to bribe someone or to trade it for an item card or another origin card.
Origins are not Items, so you can't trade them. Trading only involves Items in play. However, remember, you can play a Power at any time, and it might behoove you to play an Origin on someone so that they might be able to play a Power that would make their help significantly more useful.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Heegu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Origins are not Items, so you can't trade them. Trading only involves Items in play. However, remember, you can play a Power at any time, and it might behoove you to play an Origin on someone so that they might be able to play a Power that would make their help significantly more useful.
I mean trading it in that you play it on the other player and in return he gives you something else, similar to playing a level up card on somebody. The smoke signal card in the good, the bad and the munchkin (which gives a level up for a helper) seems to only serve this kind of purpose.
Heegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heegu View Post
I mean trading it in that you play it on the other player and in return he gives you something else, similar to playing a level up card on somebody. The smoke signal card in the good, the bad and the munchkin (which gives a level up for a helper) seems to only serve this kind of purpose.
Unfortunately, the word "trade" has a specific meaning in the game, so you'll have to forgive me for having to be pedantic about using the word in a way that implies a mistaken understanding of the rules. But, yes, you could play an Origin on someone in exchange for them giving you an Item, or playing some other beneficial card on you that is a legal play.
MiB #1029
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
eqdj67

Quote:
...remember, you can play a Power at any time, and it might behoove you to play an Origin on someone so that they might be able to play a Power that would make their help significantly more useful.
OK. So play an Origin on someone at any time (except during combat) to power a Power, right?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqdj67 View Post
OK. So play an Origin on someone at any time (except during combat) to power a Power, right?
No. Playing an Origin on someone does not count as a discard as well. I think what MunchkinMan was saying is that someone may have a Power they want to put into play and you can offer to play an Origin on them so that they would be able to do that and they would give you something in return.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
No. Playing an Origin on someone does not count as a discard as well. I think what MunchkinMan was saying is that someone may have a Power they want to put into play and you can offer to play an Origin on them so that they would be able to do that and they would give you something in return.
Actually, I phrased that slightly wrong. You can't play a Power at any time, but at any time during your turn... I meant to suggest that a helper could provide a main combatant with a way to become more powerful. Either way playing an Origin on someone for them to do you a favor (that you both agreed to) is a cool thing to do.
MiB #1029
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
eqdj67

Quote:
... playing an Origin on someone for them to do you a favor (that you both agreed to) is a cool thing to do.
I think I understand now. So, "Play this card on any player at any time time except during combat. " means that while only Item cards can be traded, Origin cards can be used as bribes/favours at any time except during Combat. Is that correct?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqdj67 View Post
I think I understand now. So, "Play this card on any player at any time time except during combat. " means that while only Item cards can be traded, Origin cards can be used as bribes/favours at any time except during Combat. Is that correct?
Origins can be played at any time. Powers can be played at any time during your turn, even during combat. I did not imply any exclusion on when one could play an Origin on someone other than himself as a bribe. My only statement concerning combat was that I wrongly implied that anyone could play a Power at any time.
MiB #1029

Tags
origin, origins, super munchkin