Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Nate of the North

Default Re: Point cost for Armor Divisor on Melee Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What's exactly the problem? Why do you think it needs a house rule?
My concern is scalability. If instead of a full die of cutting damage, what if it were just a point of cutting damage? At 0.3 x 7 pts, the base cost is only 2.1 or 3. Add in the +185% and you have a sword that treats heavy steel like leather for only 9 pts. You could add Hemophilia as a side effect for just two more points.

Perhaps it's just me, but that seems unbalanced.
Nate of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate of the North View Post
My concern is scalability. If instead of a full die of cutting damage, what if it were just a point of cutting damage? At 0.3 x 7 pts, the base cost is only 2.1 or 3. Add in the +185% and you have a sword that treats heavy steel like leather for only 9 pts. You could add Hemophilia as a side effect for just two more points.
It will do a lot less damage than a normal sword then, since ST-Based uses thrust damage.
Quote:
You can also do as Powers suggests and give Innate Attacks an additional UB cost.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Nate of the North

Ah UB... of course!

Thank you Sir Pudding, and thank you for the help on the necromantic power write up.
Nate of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It will do a lot less damage than a normal sword then, since ST-Based uses thrust damage.
It says either can be chosen in Powers. It would still do less damage than most sword, but not much.

Quote:

Only doing one point of damage is only .25 dice. Total cost is 4CP.

But consider that you could get a sword without spending any CP at all.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
But consider that you could get a sword without spending any CP at all.
You probably can't easily get a sword with AD(5) that inflicts Hemophilia as a secondary effect for free in most settings.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #16
PK

Quote:
What would the point cost be for a melee weapon with an armor divisor?

If I give my black knight a thrusting broadsword with armor divisor of 5, how would I write that up?
A fair way to do this is to first figure out what the base cost of the melee weapon attack would be if it were an innate attack. The first part of this is all theoretical:

Example: Let's say your knight can do 1d+2 imp or 3d cut with his sword. The thrust is the equivalent of 1.6 dice of Impaling Attack (see the rules for partial dice on p. B61) which costs 1.6 x 8 = 13 points. The cutting attack costs 3 x 7 = 21 points. Thus, the impaling attack would be an Alternative Attack to the cutting attack -- so you would pay full price for the cutting attack [21] plus 1/5 the cost of the impaling attack [3], for a total of 24 points.

Now, the above was just to determine what the price would be if it were an Innate Attack. Obviously, it isn't, but this tells us that the sword -- overall -- is the equivalent of a 24 point advantage. Right?

So, now figure out what the value of the enhancement on that advantage would be. For example, if you wanted to add Armor Divisor (2) to the sword, that would be +50%. 50% of 24 points is 12 points, so you should pay 12 points to add that enhancement to your sword.

Basically, this method is halfway between using Imbuement Skills (which are necessary if you can imbue any sword, not just the one) and outright buying the sword as an Innate Attack (which you shouldn't have to do -- paying cash is fine). It's a little complex, but it always produces a fair result for a character who can do this with just the one particular weapon.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
IA (ST-based) is bizarrely priced (my house rule is that ST-based is +0%, but -1d damage if Thrust, -2d damage if Swing) but the proposed construction is RAW correct.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor divisor, melee weapons, point cost, signature gear