Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default Regeneration Question

Hey all,
Let's say I want to make a character that heals much faster than a normal person, but only when receiving medical care and with bedrest. This would create somebody who is just as vulnerable in combat as anyone else, but can get back on the field much more quickly, and potentially survive injuries that would kill most. How would I stat this? I'm thinking Regeneration with Accessibility, but I'm not sure what value it should have. On a related note, how do Very Rapid Healing and Regeneration interact? Do you pay the 10-pt difference between Rapid Healing and Very Rapid Healing, or does Regeneration make that redundant?
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Regeneration Question

Sounds like this affects the normal healing rules only. Beings with more HP heal as a multiple of normal healing rates, right? So add +10HP with an accessibility modifier Only For Healing Purposes, maybe -70%? So that's 6 CP for each level, dunno if that's too expensive or not.

EDIT

4 levels [24] means you heal x5 faster with medical care, vs. Slow Regeneration [25].

So successful First Aid for treating shock gives you 5d back at TL 8. Bandaging gives you 5 HP. Medical Care gives you 5 HP per day. But Slow Regeneration gives you 1 HP per hour, which is 24 HP per day. Yeah 6 CP per level is too much.

Last edited by mr beer; 05-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
On a related note, how do Very Rapid Healing and Regeneration interact? Do you pay the 10-pt difference between Rapid Healing and Very Rapid Healing, or does Regeneration make that redundant?
By the rules as written when healing Rapid/Very Rapid Healing and Regeneration work separately. VRH only doubles healing when you make a roll for it and no roll is involved in Regeneration. VRH should affect the rolls a Physician can make though.

Note that just VRH could do a lot of what you want. A vanilla human (all 10s) under the care of a Skill-12 Physician(who might actually be a nurse) at TLs 6 to 8 recovers 2 hp every 3 days on his own and 3 hp every 4 days due to care for a total of 17 hp per 12 days.

With VRH it'd be 24 hp on his own and then the 9 hp from care. Then if your guy with VRH was also a strapping ST 16 with 4 extra hp for a total of 20 (heroic but not requiring any UBs) you double those numbers again.

A new but not terribly cinematic Advantage might be "Easy to Heal" giving a bonus to the Physician Roll of anyone treating you. It's narrower than Rapid Healing so perhaps +5 for 3 pts. That'd have a professional level Physician giving you a pt every day.

Also, if you want healing not useful on the battlefield but good for bouncing back between adventures neither Slow Regen (2/day) or even Regular Regen (1/hour) are particularly useful on the battlefield itself. Even just a single 5.56 mm assualt rifle wound would take most of a day with Regular Regen.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
RedDragon

Might be too expensive, but I'm kinda used to that with RAW GURPS rules. I think it'll need to fall back on Regeneration (or maybe Rapid Healing). You might be on to something though. For reference, I'm making a Dragon Racial Template. I wanted them to be able to recover quickly, but only with down time (e.g. hiding in their cave after driving off a party, or somesuch).
Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
RedDragon

Doesn't it say that Regeneration includes Rapid Healing, though? How does that work?
Also, the time it takes isn't what's important, it's that it requires rest (that is, inaction) and medical attendance. I'm planning it for a (very) High Fantasy game, so some people will already have VRH. I'd like to differentiate this one if possible.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
Doesn't it say that Regeneration includes Rapid Healing, though? How does that work?
They work separately but as usual. Note that for most characters the important thing about rapid Healing isn't technically "healing" it's reducing the severity of Crippling Injuries. You get the +5 to those HT rolls too.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Leynok

I would just call this an accessibility on Regeneration. I would price it roughly around -30% or -40% (just off the top of my head) since most of it's combat and adventuring use is gone.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regeneration