Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
DT_

Default Dagger shows as Questionmark

Hello,

I've been working on a custom GDF for a campaign and I've come across a strange issue. My GDF modifies traits and equipment from the Basic Set, High Tech and Magic GDFs.

If I load those GDFs then my GDF. The "†" symbols are displayed as "?". It doesn't matter what GDF the weapon is loaded from.

If I don't load my GDF then "†" are displayed correctly.

If I create a character without my GDF loaded. Save the character. Restart the GCC with my GDF loaded the "†" are displayed correctly on weapons added while my GDF is loaded or not.

I haven't been able to figure out what I've done to cause this. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Dagger shows as Questionmark

are you using a non standard font?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
DT_

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a fresh install of the GCA, I haven't done any configuration on it aside from GDF loads. Nothing fancy with the fonts in Windows.

I did some more testing and found that If I open the GCA with my GDF (and the other GDFs mentioned in OP) and add something from the basic set (e.g. Thrusting Great Sword) it displays the † properly. Then I add an item from my GDF and it displays the question mark instead. I copied and pasted the character from the one of the good GDF's so it should be the same. I also copied an item from HT (Brown Bess) to my GDF and it shows the ? instead.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
DT_

I think I've found a resolution. I'll need to test a little bit more before I'm 100% confident, but all test so far have displayed the † properly.

As I test I deleted almost everything from my GDF. This is all that was left:
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=3

[EQUIPMENT]

"Brown Bess TEST, .75 Flintlock", cat(High-Tech, High-Tech - Weapons), ammo(0.09 lb.), page(HT120), basecost(100), baseweight(10.2), techlvl(5), mods(Guns, Equipment), lc(3),
description(TL:5 LC:3 Ammo:0.09 lb. Damage:4d+2 pi++ Acc:2 Range:100/1100 RoF:1 Shots:1(40) ST:11† Bulk:-6 Rcl:4 Skill:Guns (Musket) Notes:[1], [1] Unreliable. Malfunctions on 16+ (see p. B407). ),
damage(4d+2), damtype(pi++), minst(11†), rangehalfdam(100), rangemax(1100), acc(2), rof(1), shots(1(40)), rcl(4), bulk(-6), notes([1]), skillused(SK:Guns (Musket), ST:DX-4, SK:Guns (Grenade Launcher)-4, SK:Guns (Gyroc)-4, SK:Guns (Light Anti-Armor Weapon)-4, SK:Guns (Light Machine Gun)-2, SK:Guns (Musket)-2, SK:Guns (Pistol)-2, SK:Guns (Rifle)-2, SK:Guns (Shotgun)-2, SK:Guns (Submachine Gun)-2, SK:Gun!)

The Brown Bess entry was copied directly from the HT GDF. The only modification was adding TEST to the name so I could tell it from the HT version. When loaded the one from my GDF still showed ? while the HT one displayed properly.

Next I made a copy of the HT DGF. Then deleted evrything in it. I copied all the text from my GDF into the empty HT copy GDF and saved it with my GDFs name. Loaded it up and everything worked fine. I have no idea what the issue was. I didn't think there was any meta-data in a text file, but the my GDF is several years old, so maybe it was the version of the txt file?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

When using these non-standard characters you need to make sure that the text editor that you are using supports UTF-8 encoding without BOM. Most any text editor you can download (such as Notepad++) supports this encoding, but you'll also need to make sure that the encoding is enabled when editing or saving Data Files. Also, once you have corrupted a file by saving as another encoding you may need to manually fix any of the extended characters such as the dagger & double dagger.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-18-2015 at 12:01 PM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote