Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Guns: Hand/eye cross-dominance. Problems, solutions, traits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
But some actions require two legs and coordination. Such as a running long jump over an abyss with continued running afterwards (what GURPS calls a Running Broad Jump). Which is why I'm asking whether your left leg is the one used to push off, or the one used to land onto. Both require coordination to pull off without misstepping or the like.
I think I go with whatever action is most important with my left, and secondarily with my right.
As errors are far more likely to happen with my right side, it's a matter of which error is more tolerable; falling over or missing a kick.
I haven't running broad jumped in decades, so I honestly don't know how I would do it most comfortably.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think I go with whatever action is most important with my left, and secondarily with my right.
As errors are far more likely to happen with my right side, it's a matter of which error is more tolerable; falling over or missing a kick.
I haven't running broad jumped in decades, so I honestly don't know how I would do it most comfortably.
Wow, so you're actually used to switching over leg 'configuration' depending on circumstances. Cool. I'm strictly a left-pusher right-lander; and right-kicker left-stander.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #23
Bruno

Quote:
Wow, so you're actually used to switching over leg 'configuration' depending on circumstances. Cool. I'm strictly a left-pusher right-lander; and right-kicker left-stander.
I'm in a similar situation to Flyn, although I'm pretty strongly right-dominant for everything instead of left. Or more correctly, I'm better with my right everything - not necessarily because it's GOOD though.

My motor cortex on the right hemisphere is second-rate (shoulda kept the receipt) which means my left everything is weak, clumsy, and generally junk. Not "I'm right handed" junk, but "physio for five years" junk. I swam in tight counter-clockwise circles until I finished physio because my right arm and leg were so much stronger, and even had trouble walking in straight lines (I still drift to the left, but it's not so much a conscious struggle to stay on a sidewalk any more).

The only exceptions are places where injuries have left my right side worse in specific ways - my right ACL is dodgy, so when getting up from a kneeling position I put my weight on my left foot first, for instance.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #24
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
I kick a football (non-US version) with my right, I have trained up my left to do it as well. I still have a more powerful and accurate shot with my right, but if the ball happens to fall so that my left is in a better position I'll use my left. I mostly jump off my right one, but have no problem doing so with my left. Ditto for landing.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'm not athletic, so I'd probably pause badly switching to whichever foot makes sense to keep me upright.
At least it's possible, if awkward, to use my left leg.
Doing anything with my right hand when not intensely concentrating on it will end in disaster.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #26
Zeta Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
My perspective changes no matter which eye is closed, hence why I had thought that closing one eye would always bring negative results.
I think the test isn't working for you becaus ther are 2-3 places where i know people do it wrong.

what i find works best is to find a distinctly visible fixed vertical object the further the better. Then hold your index finger strait up at arms length in line with the object so that your finger obstructs the lower part of the object but you see it over the top of your finger.
Next blink both eyes several times until you can blink and not have your perspective jump.
Then close one eye. Optionally test you can still blink without a jump and Try close just the other.
If you did it correctly and the object is thin then one eye will be able to see the whole object and the other will see the finger in the way. Whichever eye your finger blocks is your dominant eye. otherwise whichever eye has a radical shift in position of the object relative to your finger is the non dominant one.
Zeta Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #27
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Easy: effective Acc is reduced by 1 if you're using the wrong eye.
I can safely say that this is not true, seeing as I'm cross-dominant (left-handed, right-eyed), and my shooting isn't more accurate when I use my right eye with a pistol (and thus could use either eye).

What I do notice is that unless I'm using a fairly powerful scope (and thus the images are very different) I need to close my strong eye if I'm aiming with the weak eye. Also, I'm crap at traditional-style shotgun shooting, as that means fast shots at moving targets and you really need both eyes open, so I tend to superimpose the sight (seen with the weak, left, eye) onto the view from my strong, right, eye and thus miss by a large margin.

A quirk penalty to unaimed shots with a shotgun is about the only penalty I think reasonable for cross-dominance, and I expect it's possible to train out of it with enough practice. Note, this only applies if you have both eyes - a one-eyed person doesn't have a dominance issue. What they might have is a problem having to learn to shoot wrong-handed because they can't use the sights on a rifle due to missing the eye they used to use and thus having to shoot other-handed.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-dominance, guns, one eye, shooting