Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
Green-Neck

Default Re: Somewhat stupid gun question - what Acc would this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post

Add a character with Guns (pistol)-22, weapon bond (it's custom made) and Gunslinger (without any thing from Gun Fu - lightweight versions of slightly cinematic skills and advantages, but still at full cost to reflect their nature), and targeted attacks are actually pushing the limits of the weapon (going past a plus +3 penalty reduction is past the limits of the weapon), and you get someone who's rather disturbingly accurate.
So a shooter who is better than any historical person with the world's most accurate 1911, and cinematic gun slinger turns out to be disturbingly accurate... Who'd have thought!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
BraselC5048

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Or it's Acc 3 and the manufacturer did this benchmark with ammunition that suits it perfectly, as per High-Tech page 174.
You know what, I somehow have never read that sidebar. I don't see any reason why it has to be done by hand by the shooter - you could likely get the same benefits, without the critical failure results, in a very limited production run by somebody well trained and with the right equipment (and access to said gun at the beginning). One quick question - does it refer to a specific model/batch of gun/guns (as in, say, all of this (small) batch of this gun from this manufacturer), or a single, specific gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Neck View Post
So a shooter who is better than any historical person with the world's most accurate 1911, and cinematic gun slinger turns out to be disturbingly accurate... Who'd have thought!
I just went to Tactical Shooting to make a counter point and... Oh you're right. Skill 18 is: Exceptional hostage-rescue operators and snipers.
I thought that was skill 22. Oops.

Well, in that case, going back down in skill a few levels, perhaps to 18 (and likely saving points, too, buying up targeted attacks for the same to-hit roll - now I can buy off penalties more then +3, although you can only buy up to +5 for anything anyway. And you can still show off just as good at the range.) Good thing I haven't fully stated up the character, then! Besides, a 95% hit rate on the skull at 10 yards without aiming is still pretty darned impressive.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
One quick question - does it refer to a specific model/batch of gun/guns (as in, say, all of this (small) batch of this gun from this manufacturer), or a single, specific gun?
I've always read it as an individual gun; the super-match round for it would presumably be an ordinary match round to another gun of the same model.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
One quick question - does it refer to a specific model/batch of gun/guns (as in, say, all of this (small) batch of this gun from this manufacturer), or a single, specific gun?
A large part of match grade ammo is just reducing the amount of variation between rounds. This means that the variation between rounds in the set is low. However, it you haven't matched it up with the rest of the gun, that may just mean that all of your shots miss by the same amount.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I've always read it as an individual gun; the super-match round for it would presumably be an ordinary match round to another gun of the same model.
This. For some reason, individual guns have "preferences" in terms of powder, bullet type, etc. Some combos just work, and can cut dispersion by as much as 25-50% relative to factory ammo (which is nothing special, of course).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #16
ronom

Look up other match M1911 styles, they are Acc 3. High Tech, High Tech Pulp Guns, Tactical shooting both have a selection of such pistols.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #17
scc

From the sounds of things what's being measured is the guns precision, not it's accuracy, which is something useful if your making multiple attacks without re-aiming
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Neck View Post
the world's most accurate 1911
1.5" about what is required to be competitive at the upper levels of Bullseye.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
1.5" at 50 yards is, unless I'm mistaken, 3" at 100 yards, meaning you're dealing with somewhere around MoA 3.
Group size isn't necessarily proportional to distance.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
From the sounds of things what's being measured is the guns precision, not it's accuracy, which is something useful if your making multiple attacks without re-aiming
I'm not convinced that distinction is all that useful. Precision is required for accuracy, and getting your predicted aimpoint to be your actual aimpoint is well understood.

It is indicated in places that bad or inadequate sights can limit Acc, though.

Tags
accuracy, groups, guns, tactical shooting