Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#44): Double-Jointed, Flexibility

Previous Week: Dominance, Infectious Attack, Slave Mentality
Next Week: Duplication

If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed.

Basic
Both of today's traits are found in GURPS Lite, so I'm comfortable using a direct quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Lite, p.9
Flexibility
5 or 15 points

Your body is unusually flexible. This advantage comes in two levels:

Flexibility: You get +3 on Climbing rolls; on Escape rolls to get free of ropes, handcuffs, and similar restraints. You may ignore up to -3 in penalties for working in close quarters (including many Explosives and Mechanic rolls). 5 points.

Double-Jointed: As above, but more so. You cannot stretch or squeeze yourself abnormally, but any part of your body may bend any way. You get +5 on Climbing, Escape rolls, and on attempts to break free. You may ignore up to -5 in penalties for close quarters. 15 points.
The entries for Double-Jointed and Flexibility on p. B56 don't add anything dramatic, but they do bring a little something. First, we have the trait classification system used in [Basic]; it is a Mundane, Physical Trait. Next, each entry expands upon the benefits provided. GURPS Lite doesn't mention the Erotic Art Skill, so no surprise it was left out of the list of things that received the +3 or +5 bonus. It also isn't clear in the Lite entry but is in [Basic] that these bonuses apply to breaking free in close combat, and not just from restraints in general.

Other Supplements

In GURPS Powers, Flexibility and Double-Jointed don't get their own updated entries, but like most traits, they are still referenced and used. You'll get some ideas for what traits to combine with them, what not to mistake for them, etc. The only other supplement I have that mentions them is GURPS Update, so if you've got something else, let me know! Otherwise, it is time to move onto the next section.

Past Editions

Double-Jointed used to be Flexibility and Flexibility used to be Double-Jointed. The Advantage Conversion Table on p.4-6 of GURPS Update shows this in simplified form, with an asterisk that is supposed to indicate a description below that explains, but I never found one. GURPS Basic Set Third Edition features Double-Jointed on p. 20. The text is a less detailed version of the entry for Flexibility given in GURPS Lite, and it still costs 5 CP.

As for Third Edition Flexibility, it appears to have been introduced in (Third Edition compatible) GURPS Supers on page 40. I can read it on page 56 of Compendium I, where it is listed in the Racial and Super Advantages Chapter. Again, it is just a less detailed version of the entry for Fourth Edition Double-Jointed, though its text does remind us we cannot take it alongside Third Edition Double Jointed and that it is included in Third Edition Stretching. It is still priced at 15 CP.

There is an additional, related trait in Third Edition called "Extra Flexibility". It found on GURPS Supers (for Third Edition) page 75, and on Compendium I page 55, meaning it is also a Racial and/or Super Advantage by default. This trait was designed to reflect arms that are extra flexible when compared to normal human limbs. The text emphasizes your arms being able to work together so long as they can reach each other, regardless of the character's position. This was priced at 5 CP for a single limb (an elephant's trunk is given as an example) or 10 for entire creatures. GURPS Update explains that this has now become an Enhancement you may take when purchasing Extra Arms, or you may pay 5 CP per limb if you want to modify any of your default arms (p. B53).

I am curious as to why the names were changed and why the more extreme version of the trait seems to have been downgraded to "mundane". Edit: Already answered; please see the discussion below. :)

Useful Links

As always, feel free to suggestion additions to this section. :)
Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who feel they need them. Already know what you want to say? Go ahead and skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken any of these traits for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything these traits do really well?
  • Is there anything you think these traits should do different, whether it means adding, subtracting, or just changing aspects of it?
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
  • Feedback about BAotW threads in general, such as how I structure them?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 07-13-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Extra Flexibility
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, double-jointed, flexibility, week, [basic]