Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Gurps Supers Case Study: Batman

Some back story: I am running a homebrew cross over earth supers game mixing elements of Marvel and DC universes set primarily in Gotham circa 1997. For purposes of my game this is early in Batman's career (Year 1 or similar).

For a frame of reference however I did want to stat Bruce Wayne/Batman. Obviously wealth is essential, and Batman is a gadgeteer, but what is the division between equipment (including high tech level equipment) and a gaget based power?

My first query is Grapnels. Does it count as a super jump or just equipment?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Gurps Supers Case Study: Batman

Climbing Line is an Accessory perk, for characters who have the ability to produce a line as part of their body. Otherwise it's equipment. In either case, if you can boost the relevant skills to 16, you can take the Swinging perk, which is the prototype of No Nuisance Rolls. All this is in GURPS Supers.

There are also detailed rules for swinging on p. 84 of GURPS. (I was hardly going to leave it out; too many characters do it, from Tarzan to Batman to Spider-man.)

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Climbing Line is an Accessory perk, for characters who have the ability to produce a line as part of their body. Otherwise it's equipment. In either case, if you can boost the relevant skills to 16, you can take the Swinging perk, which is the prototype of No Nuisance Rolls. All this is in GURPS Supers.

There are also detailed rules for swinging on p. 84 of GURPS. (I was hardly going to leave it out; too many characters do it, from Tarzan to Batman to Spider-man.)
Pg 84 of what? I've now checked 3rd edition, 4th, 2nd edition Supers, and 4e Powers.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Pg 84 of what? I've now checked 3rd edition, 4th, 2nd edition Supers, and 4e Powers.
4e Supers; big Swinging Sidebar.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Drakyrias

Thanks have it now
Old 09-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Sorry! GURPS Supers, the version that I wrote for GURPS 4/e

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Drakyrias

So side question: Since I primarily use 3rd edition material- How backwards compatible are Perks? I've checked the update material and 3rd to 4th seems pretty compatible, but I've noticed some issues that make direct crossover occasionally problematic.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
So side question: Since I primarily use 3rd edition material- How backwards compatible are Perks? I've checked the update material and 3rd to 4th seems pretty compatible, but I've noticed some issues that make direct crossover occasionally problematic.
There might be some balance issues as some things that were 5 pt Ads in 3e are now just Perks. Alcohol Tolerance, No Hangover, Sanitized Metabolism and so on.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
Phantasm

There's a lot that Batman uses that's just equipment. He's essentially maxxed out his Gizmos advantage, which gives him all those nifty toys when he needs them. I'd probably include his grapnels as one of those devices in his utility belt.

There was one build for Bats that gave him his utility belt as a kind of Modular Ability build. Personally, since he's Batman, I'd just buy it as a Signature Gear (Consumable), letting him restore it every time he visits the Batcave.

From the social side of things, I'd give him the following:
  • Multimillionaire 4 (rivals are Lex Luthor and Steve Dayton in the DC end of things, probably Tony Stark in the Marvel side of things, and Bill Gates IRL)
  • Merchant Rank 7-ish for being CEO of Wayne Enterprises/Industries/Technologies (or whatever name you give it in Earth-Crossover); I could see Merchant Rank 8 or 9 if WayneTech is a multinational corporation.
  • Status 2 naturally from being a Wayne (which is like being a Kennedy IRL).
  • Contact: Detective/Sergeant/Lieutenant/Captain/Commissioner Gordon (Police Skills-18). Gordon's own rank in the GCPD is dependent on the GM's call for where he is at this point in his own career. Not yet a full-fledged Ally in Year One.
Note that Multimillionaire and Merchant Rank give bonuses to Status; technically speaking, Bruce is Status 6+.

This help?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

There are of course multiple ways to do nearly anything in GURPS. Personally I would use Wildcard skills and especially Wildcard points with Bats along with Luck, Serendipity and Gizmos. Batman is almost the quintessential Detective! and Ninja!.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, supers