Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Gef

Default Is Vibration Sense omnidirectional?

That is, by default, can you sense the vibrations of someone sneaking up behind you, or attacking from the flank? I would assume so but for one thing: Vibe Sense is cheaper than Peripheral Vision. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
supersaiyandoyle

Default Re: Is Vibration Sense omnidirectional?

Vibration sense requires a roll every time it is to be used, making it cost a bit less.
supersaiyandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
That is, by default, can you sense the vibrations of someone sneaking up behind you, or attacking from the flank? I would assume so but for one thing: Vibe Sense is cheaper than Peripheral Vision. -GEF
It is omnidirectional, yes. (Or at least I've always ruled it being so.) As for comparing it to 360 Degree Vision or Peripheral Vision? It should be noted that Vibration Sense is rather limited in comparison to any kind of vision; you can't detect details, you suffer both size/speed and range penalties -and- you suffer from environmental noise. On succeeding at this penalized roll, you find the size, location, speed and direction of the target's movement. Only. You don't know its' shape, color, etc. This leads to a lot of friendly fire!

Vision also works both in the air and underwater. Vibration Sense doesn't; not without an enhancement.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Note: speed is a bonus, not penalty.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Note: speed is a bonus, not penalty.
Ah, right. Size/Speed are bonuses, Range is a penalty, both are applied separately. (Wind | Current) Speed is a penalty and also applied separately.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's best for things like the lateral line of fish, in my opinion. An emergency second chance to avoid getting swallowed up by something right behind you.
Imagine how horror movies would change if the idiots walking backwards could notice the monster behind them.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Gef

With vibration sense, you can attack in the dark, as long as you don't call shots, right? And if it's omnidirections, you can strike to the flank or rear at no penalty, too, without buying special techniques for the purpose. right?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
PseudoFenton

Quote:
With vibration sense, you can attack in the dark, as long as you don't call shots, right? And if it's omnidirections, you can strike to the flank or rear at no penalty, too, without buying special techniques for the purpose. right?
They'd still count as wild-swings due to positioning though wouldn't they?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
And if it's omnidirections, you can strike to the flank or rear at no penalty, too, without buying special techniques for the purpose. right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
They'd still count as wild-swings due to positioning though wouldn't they?
Correct - 360 degree vision also doesn't let you attack to the flank or rear at no penalty, because GURPS assumes you are a forward facing bilateral organism unless informed otherwise.

It does make things a darn slight easier, and lets you dodge attacks from behind, which is awesome. Presuming you make your roll of course. It's like Danger Sense, with a bit of extra environmental awareness and without the subtler applications of Danger Sense (no getting uncomfortable about hot/poisoned/sharp/whatever things right before sticking your hand on them)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
... It ... lets you dodge attacks from behind ...
Does it? I thought it only let you know a foe was behind you -- I didn't think it was precise enough to let you know their arm is swinging right now. RAW, you can't even tell if they're armed. I interpret VS as telling you size, location, and overall movement, but not shape (including changes to shape like limb movement).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, vibration sense