Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: Any news regarding Discworld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I don't remember if there's a ready to play adventure in it, it's been a long while, but for anyone wishing to start with GURPS, I will definitely recommend Discworld once it's out.
It has one or two more or less ready-to-play scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Is it accessible to someone whose a casual Discworld fan whose only read say twenty of the books, and that over a span of years?
Ah, the Discworld, where a "casual" fan has only read twenty novels...

But anyway, sure, the book isn't supposed to require detailed knowledge of the whole canon. Obviously, there was only so much detail I could fit into a few hundred pages, but I tried to give a working outline of everything that someone would need to get started. If you're playing alongside a hardcore fanatic, well, there's not much that I can do to stop them geeking out at you (apart from providing a nice big heavy book for you to hit them with), but if you read through the gamebook, their geeking shouldn't sound like total gibberish to you.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
But anyway, sure, the book isn't supposed to require detailed knowledge of the whole canon. Obviously, there was only so much detail I could fit into a few hundred pages, but I tried to give a working outline of everything that someone would need to get started. If you're playing alongside a hardcore fanatic, well, there's not much that I can do to stop them geeking out at you (apart from providing a nice big heavy book for you to hit them with), but if you read through the gamebook, their geeking shouldn't sound like total gibberish to you.
I actually read the 3/e Discworld book that you wrote before reading any of Pratchett (other than Good Omens). It made a reasonable amount of sense to me and it led to my picking up The Fifth Elephant from the library and giving it a look.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Please see that Report to the Stakeholders thread rather than guessing.

(Personally, I'm still trying to work out how a licensed Pratchett/Discworld product can have profitability issues. But don't ask me to explain this business, I only write this stuff.)
The obvious one would be screw up the contract - say you promised the licensor 110% of gross sales. Presumably everybody in this deal was experienced enough not to have done anything utterly boneheaded, but sometimes something can sneak up on you, especially when conditions change.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #14
lachimba

I'm still holding out for a PDF soft release.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 AM   #15
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Personally, I'm still trying to work out how a licensed Pratchett/Discworld product can have profitability issues.
It's about amount of money invested vs distributor demand and expected sales. Simple math. We are working on the issue and will announce when we have found a way to profitably produce the book.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #16
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Is it accessible to someone whose a casual Discworld fan whose only read say twenty of the books, and that over a span of years?
I'm sure I've read a bit less than 20 of the books, and the bits I've perused from the old GURPS Discworld and Discworld Also seemed very accessible.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #17
mook

Quote:
This is seriously, IMHO, both an extremely faithful adaptation of Pratchett's world, and the best introduction to GURPS I've ever seen.
Ooh. I admit, I have zero interest in Discworld... but this is intriguing! And, now, I can't wait to read it -- thanks. :P

Perhaps it's a bit like the Atomic Robo RPG, which I feel is the best introduction to Fate, even moreso than Fate Core itself.

Now, it's on... The List!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Maz

Quote:
[...]and the best introduction to GURPS I've ever seen.
Isn't a reason for this that it is a solution to one of the most common obstacles for introducing GURPS.
Namely that there are no fixed setting. Discworld is a very rich and well developed setting.

This also means that all of the skills and advantages and so on can be clearly defined in relation to this specific setting and more importantly be limited to the ones that matter, as well as having clear character design-rules. And so on.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Isn't a reason for this that it is a solution to one of the most common obstacles for introducing GURPS.
Namely that there are no fixed setting. Discworld is a very rich and well developed setting.
I think and hope that it's also related to the fact of me spending the last twenty years paying attention to these boards, running demo games at cons, and running for and playing in GURPS groups with an occasional player turnover. And being a tiny bit analytical, while not being one of the original authors of the system.

I have some vague idea, not only how the system is supposed to work, but also what about it isn't intuitively obvious. Plus, I had just enough space and lots of excuse to write some entertaining examples of the rules in use. Well, I found them entertaining.

Many street mimes died to bring us that book.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #20
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
It's about amount of money invested vs distributor demand and expected sales. Simple math. We are working on the issue and will announce when we have found a way to profitably produce the book.
You know you're getting old when something with the Discworld label is starting to be considered old news. That is the reality however, and audiences for such a supplement are expecting something more relevant to their modern tastes. And its another sign you're getting old when you (meaning me) have no clear idea what that might be. :)
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld