Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Tiggurix

Default GURPS Avernum

Hey all! So, I'm going to GM my first GURPS campaign soon, with some friends, during the holiday times. As the setting, I chose the setting of the classic indie-RPG series Avernum, by Spiderweb Software, which is a setting with a big focus on caves and the subterranean.

So, those that have played and know the Avernum series, could you help me with realising this setting in GURPS stats? Like, how would you stat the templates of the major humanoid species, such as the nephilim, slithzerikai, and vahnatai? And how would you handle the fact that that "mage" and "priest" spells are two different magical disciplines, but seemingly everyone can learn them both?

Here's my stats for the nephilim and slithzerikai templates. I'm thinking about going with about 200 points for the player characters, but I'm still thinking that these templates are a little too expensive. Do you have any suggestions on how to change them?

Nephilim template (100) :
Attributes: +1 Dexterity (20)
Secondary attributes: +2 Perception (10)
Advantages: Acute Hearing 1 (2), Acute Taste & Smell 1 (2), Acute Vision 1 (2), Claws (Sharp, 5), Teeth (Sharp, 1), Fur (1), Damage Resistance 1 (4, Flexible -20%), Temperature Tolerance 1 (1), Night Vision 7 (7), Parabolic Hearing 2 (8), Ultrahearing (5), Catfall (10), Combat Reflexes (15), Perfect Balance (15)
Disadvantages: Sleepy (1/2 of the time) [8]

Slithzerikai template (100):
Attributes: +3 Strength (30), -1 Dexterity (-20), +2 Health (20)
Advantages: Amphibious (10), Damage Resistance 2 (8, Flexible -20%), 4 (12, Burning Only -40%), Scales (Fur perk, 1), Nictitating Membrane 1 (1), Breath Holding 4 (8), Night Vision 5 (5), Peripheral Vision (15) Claws (Blunt, 3), Teeth (Sharp, 1), Striker (4, Long 1 +100%, Cannot Parry -40%, Clumsy 2 -40%, Weak -50%), Longevity (2), Temperature Tolerance 5 (5)
Disadvantages: Coldblooded 1 (-5)
Tiggurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Pirtti
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Avernum

I rather like the games (although I never have managed to finish any), so I'll try and say something.

Maybe you could drop Catfall (and/or Perfect Balance) and Combat Reflexes from the Nephilim template? Having the former would certainly fit a race of cat people, but I think the other advantages establish the differences adequately. I don't know how canonical the latter is, since it's been a while, but CR is perhaps best left to individual consideration. You could also consider dropping the flat Per bonus since the template contains so many perception-enhancing advantages.

Sliths are a bit trickier: the Striker and Longevity may be unnecessary for game purposes, but I can't think of anything else. No idea about Vahnatai.

Last edited by Pirtti; 11-29-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Pirtti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
shadowjack

Nice, GURPS seems like a good fit for Exile/Avernum.

My thoughts on the Nephilim template:

As these are regular racial templates, remember that every member of the race except a few disabled individuals has all of these. So I would ditch Combat Reflexes, Perfect Balance, probably Catfall, definitely Damage Resistance (the kitties aren't armored). Not all neph are acrobatic ninjas, and anyway I seem to recall in the games taking falls and having my neph characters take damage with everyone else.

(Now, if these were Dungeon Fantasy-style templates, you might want armies of acrobatic ninja catfolk, at least for player characters, but seems to me that Exile/Avernum aims more at the gritty hardscrabble style.)

I'd ditch Temperature Tolerance, too, on the principle that the neph should be as miserable in the underworld as everyone else. Fur lets them get away with not having to scavenge clothes like the humans, but they should still suffer from the cold and damp.

Stacking Perception and all the Acute Senses seems like double-dipping to me; I'd just go with +1 or +2 Per myself. Parabolic Hearing seems like a bit much, also. Ultrahearing on the other hand… that's a nice touch, actually, I could accept that, but you might want to consider instead the much cheaper Perk of Extended Hearing (High).

Let's chuck Flexibility in there, to make up thematically for the super-agile traits we ditched.

Perhaps something like this:

Nephilim (21 points)
Secondary attributes: +1 Perception (5)
Advantages: Claws, Sharp (5); Teeth, Sharp (1); Fur (1); Ultrahearing (5); Flexibility (5); Night Vision 7 (7).
Disadvantages: Sleepy (1/2 of the time) (-8)

Nepharim (21 points)
As above, plus:
Attributes: +3 Strength (30), -1 Intelligence (-20)
Disadvantages: Pick one of Bad Temper sc12- (-10) OR Berserk sc12- (-10) OR Bestial (-10).
Features: Sterile [0]

Now the sliths are supposed to be plenty tough, so I don't mind their template being quite so high, but let's see here.

Were they really amphibious? I don't remember that, but it's been a long time.

In this case, the high DR makes sense, but I'd probably ditch the fireproofing for simplicity's sake, and save twelve points there. Come to think of it, I don't think you need to take Scales, since you already have DR. Oh, and it should be Tough Skin, not Flexible, right?

I'd nerf Temperature Tolerance, too, for the same reason as the Nephilim, and with that on the template you'll never get a chance to play much with Cold-Blooded! Maybe Temperature Tolerance 1, since they did come from the caves originally, but…

Come to think of it, there's an argument for doubling the value of Cold-Blooded if your entire campaign is set in the caves; your sliths will rarely be at full Basic Speed and DX because of the low temperatures. But let's not go there for now.

Perhaps reduced Speed, too? They're supposed to be big, slow, but smart lizard people.

Oh, and here's a thought. GURPS Fantasy introduced a rule that it is permissible for racial templates to set the baseline for Night Vision at a different point (cf. Tolkien's orcs having poorer vision in sunlight) as a feature; you suffer normal darkness penalties below that level, and brightness penalties above it. Since the sliths were cave-dwellers, we could say they have Night Vision 5 (baseline) for 0 points.

So let's try:

Slithzerikai (55 points)
Attributes: +3 Strength (30); -1 Dexterity (-20); +2 Health (+20)
Secondary Attributes: -1.00 Basic Speed (-20)
Advantages: Amphibious (10); DR 2 (Flexible, -40%) (6); Nictitating Membrane 1 (1); Breath Holding 4 (8); Night Vision 5 (baseline) (0); Peripheral Vision (15); Claws, Blunt (3); Teeth, Sharp (1); Crushing Striker (Long 1, +100%; Cannot Parry, -40%; Clumsy 2, -40%; Weak, -50%) (4); Longevity (2).
Disadvantages: Cold-Blooded 1 (-5)
Features: Size Modifier +1

YMMV of course; I'm aiming for noticeably-but-not-incredibly tough, with plenty of room for players to develop the character their own way, but you might want more supernaturally monstrous kitties and lizards, or Dungeon Fantasy-style niche protection.

Quote:
And how would you handle the fact that that "mage" and "priest" spells are two different magical disciplines, but seemingly everyone can learn them both?
The usual way in GURPS is to have both Magery and Power Investiture available; the short explanation is that "divine" spells learned using Power Investiture have no prerequisite chains, but there's a much smaller pool of spells to choose from. (For super-advanced details and advice on crunching your own magic systems, see GURPS Thaumatology.) As for the "anyone can learn it" approach, either declare Magery and Power Investiture to be learnable traits, or make this a high-mana setting where anyone can cast spells. I think the former is probably closer to the fiction; the way NPCs talk about magic in the games, it feels like mages and spellcasting priests usually had a lengthy apprenticeship to acquire the basics, but after that can develop and practice their trade like any other, which suggests to me that for PCs the games are just glossing over all that with a high character point cost for advancing magic. I'd recommend using the full training & study rules on this campaign; proper instruction or books are hard to come by in the caves.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
The Benj

It's not double-dipping to have all three Acute senses, its just a waste of points. Ditch all three and give them an extra +1 Perception.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Slithzerikai (55 points)
Advantages: Amphibious (10); DR 2 (Flexible, -40%) (6); Nictitating Membrane 1 (1); Breath Holding 4 (8); Night Vision 5 (baseline) (0); Peripheral Vision (15); Claws, Blunt (3); Teeth, Sharp (1); Crushing Striker (Long 1, +100%; Cannot Parry, -40%; Clumsy 2, -40%; Weak, -50%) (4); Longevity (2).

YMMV of course; I'm aiming for noticeably-but-not-incredibly tough, with plenty of room for players to develop the character their own way, but you might want more supernaturally monstrous kitties and lizards, or Dungeon Fantasy-style niche protection. [snip]
If we're going for DF template emulation we could also call it -1.25 Speed [-25] for a nice, round total of average Speed 5.0 and a racial cost of [50], or even -2.25 [-45] / [30] if they're supposed to be really slow (I'm not familiar with the source) and you want to bring it down into the range that can be afforded with the extra points on most 250-point DF templates. Also, don't forget the Size -10% Limitation on ST for a total of [47]. ETA: And Flexible on the DR should be -20%, bringing it back up to [49]. You could give them a Perk like Schtick: Intimidating Stare [1] or something to round it out to an even [30] or [50] if you wanted.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 11-30-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Tiggurix

Quote:
Nice, GURPS seems like a good fit for Exile/Avernum.
Thank you! I thought so as well, obviously. ;)

Quote:
My thoughts on the Nephilim template:

As these are regular racial templates, remember that every member of the race except a few disabled individuals has all of these. So I would ditch Combat Reflexes, Perfect Balance, probably Catfall, definitely Damage Resistance (the kitties aren't armored). Not all neph are acrobatic ninjas, and anyway I seem to recall in the games taking falls and having my neph characters take damage with everyone else.

(Now, if these were Dungeon Fantasy-style templates, you might want armies of acrobatic ninja catfolk, at least for player characters, but seems to me that Exile/Avernum aims more at the gritty hardscrabble style.)

I'd ditch Temperature Tolerance, too, on the principle that the neph should be as miserable in the underworld as everyone else. Fur lets them get away with not having to scavenge clothes like the humans, but they should still suffer from the cold and damp.

Stacking Perception and all the Acute Senses seems like double-dipping to me; I'd just go with +1 or +2 Per myself. Parabolic Hearing seems like a bit much, also. Ultrahearing on the other hand… that's a nice touch, actually, I could accept that, but you might want to consider instead the much cheaper Perk of Extended Hearing (High).

Let's chuck Flexibility in there, to make up thematically for the super-agile traits we ditched.
I based my original nephil template on the Felinoid template from the base rulebook for 4th edition, which included DR and Temperature Tolerance, presumably as a feature of their fur, which I find to make a decent degree of sense. Now, if basing this template strictly on the games, I could see a reason for ditching Catfall and Perfect Balance, but I'd keep Combat Reflexes and bonus Dexterity, as the nephilim's racial advantage in the second game, at least, is a "phantom" bonus to Dexterity, which I think would be adequately modeled with Combat Reflexes.

Quote:
Perhaps something like this:

Nephilim (21 points)
Advantages: Claws, Sharp (5); Teeth, Sharp (1); Fur (1); Ultrahearing (5); Flexibility (5); Night Vision 7 (7).
Disadvantages: Sleepy (1/2 of the time) (-8)

Nepharim (21 points)
As above, plus:
Attributes: +3 Strength (30), -1 Intelligence (-20)
Disadvantages: Pick one of Bad Temper sc12- (-10) OR Berserk sc12- (-10) OR Bestial (-10).
Features: Sterile [0]
Those are some pretty nice and cheap templates! But I think it's weird that you think that the nepharim should have lower intelligence than the nephilim. According to what I've seen in the games, that isn't the case. I also think Bestial is a weird choice of a disadvantage. I think Bully would fit better.

Quote:
Now the sliths are supposed to be plenty tough, so I don't mind their template being quite so high, but let's see here.

Were they really amphibious? I don't remember that, but it's been a long time.
Yeah, they're definitely amphibious. Their children even spend almost all the time in water, from what I've seen, until they grow up.

Quote:
In this case, the high DR makes sense, but I'd probably ditch the fireproofing for simplicity's sake, and save twelve points there. Come to think of it, I don't think you need to take Scales, since you already have DR. Oh, and it should be Tough Skin, not Flexible, right?
Thing is, that fireproofing is part of the sliths abilities. The slith PCs even get bonus resistance towards fire damage, and in the remake of the first game, the sliths are pretty much immune towards fire attacks of the same level as themselves. Also, I think Tough Skin is for characters with just that, not scales or thick fur.

Quote:
I'd nerf Temperature Tolerance, too, for the same reason as the Nephilim, and with that on the template you'll never get a chance to play much with Cold-Blooded! Maybe Temperature Tolerance 1, since they did come from the caves originally, but…

Come to think of it, there's an argument for doubling the value of Cold-Blooded if your entire campaign is set in the caves; your sliths will rarely be at full Basic Speed and DX because of the low temperatures. But let's not go there for now.
Actually, from what I've seen, the temperature in the caves vary a lot, from damp and hot near hot springs and fumaroles, to icy cold and dry, especially in places with a large number of the undead. But yeah, the sliths tend to comment that it's generally cold to them in these "upper" caves, compared to the lower slith homelands, where they're originally from, but they don't seem to suffer much from that. Plus, Temperature Tolerance doesn't negate Coldblooded, but increases the amount of time before it begins to affect the slith.

Quote:
Perhaps reduced Speed, too? They're supposed to be big, slow, but smart lizard people.

Oh, and here's a thought. GURPS Fantasy introduced a rule that it is permissible for racial templates to set the baseline for Night Vision at a different point (cf. Tolkien's orcs having poorer vision in sunlight) as a feature; you suffer normal darkness penalties below that level, and brightness penalties above it. Since the sliths were cave-dwellers, we could say they have Night Vision 5 (baseline) for 0 points.
I don't think that they are any slower than the humans or the nephilim, again, basing them on the games, but they aren't any faster either, so I could see reducing their base Speed to make up for the bonus they get from their stats. As for that Night Vision baseline... I actually like that idea a lot! They're subterranean creatures, after all, so it makes sense for them to be unaccustomed to bright light.

Quote:
So let's try:

Slithzerikai (55 points)
I like this template quite a bit! I think I will adapt it almost wholesale for my own uses. ;)

Quote:
YMMV of course; I'm aiming for noticeably-but-not-incredibly tough, with plenty of room for players to develop the character their own way, but you might want more supernaturally monstrous kitties and lizards, or Dungeon Fantasy-style niche protection.
I like the steps you took to decrease my original, rather expensive points values. I thank you muchly for your help!

Quote:
The usual way in GURPS is to have both Magery and Power Investiture available; the short explanation is that "divine" spells learned using Power Investiture have no prerequisite chains, but there's a much smaller pool of spells to choose from. (For super-advanced details and advice on crunching your own magic systems, see GURPS Thaumatology.) As for the "anyone can learn it" approach, either declare Magery and Power Investiture to be learnable traits, or make this a high-mana setting where anyone can cast spells. I think the former is probably closer to the fiction; the way NPCs talk about magic in the games, it feels like mages and spellcasting priests usually had a lengthy apprenticeship to acquire the basics, but after that can develop and practice their trade like any other, which suggests to me that for PCs the games are just glossing over all that with a high character point cost for advancing magic. I'd recommend using the full training & study rules on this campaign; proper instruction or books are hard to come by in the caves.
I like your idea of making Magery and Power Investiture trainable. Makes a lot of sense in regards to the setting, as more or less everyone can master the magical arts with enough training, but some (the characters with the Natural Mage trait in the games) are more predisposed to magic, and grasp magic more easily than others. As to the clerical magic, one weird thing about this setting is that "priestly" magic seems entirely separate from the deities or forces that the priest in question worships, so I don't think that limiting their magic based on their faith makes sense, and I think that Power Investiture would more likely represent the amount of "holy" power that they possess, rather than power that they get from their deity.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Tiggurix

Btw, do anyone have any fitting stats for slithzerikai spears? For those who don't know, they are two-pronged spears, made entirely of metal.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggurix View Post
I based my original nephil template on the Felinoid template from the base rulebook for 4th edition, which included DR and Temperature Tolerance, presumably as a feature of their fur, which I find to make a decent degree of sense. Now, if basing this template strictly on the games, I could see a reason for ditching Catfall and Perfect Balance, but I'd keep Combat Reflexes and bonus Dexterity, as the nephilim's racial advantage in the second game, at least, is a "phantom" bonus to Dexterity, which I think would be adequately modeled with Combat Reflexes.
I looked at it this way: Are nephilim ever surprised in ambushes? If they never are, then, yeah, Combat Reflexes for everyone.

Quote:
Those are some pretty nice and cheap templates! But I think it's weird that you think that the nepharim should have lower intelligence than the nephilim. According to what I've seen in the games, that isn't the case. I also think Bestial is a weird choice of a disadvantage. I think Bully would fit better.
Well, I admit I'm going off of memory and some really hasty googling; it's been some years since I played the games. :) I saw a description of Nepharim being big, mean, and antisocial in ways that often led to them being driven out of society, or used as big sword fodder, so that led to that guess. I figured low IQ since IQ also represents education and social skills.

Bully is a good addition to the list.

Quote:
Thing is, that fireproofing is part of the sliths abilities. The slith PCs even get bonus resistance towards fire damage, and in the remake of the first game, the sliths are pretty much immune towards fire attacks of the same level as themselves.
Aha! I remember that now. Then by all means, add it back in. More Temperature Tolerance would fit that, too.

Quote:
Also, I think Tough Skin is for characters with just that, not scales or thick fur.
I suppose it goes on how thick we imagine the skin. If I scratch a slith with poison, or throw an electric eel at it, does it get sick or stunned, or is its hide and blubber just that thick? If the former, Tough Skin; if the latter, Flexible.

Quote:
Actually, from what I've seen, the temperature in the caves vary a lot, from damp and hot near hot springs and fumaroles, to icy cold and dry, especially in places with a large number of the undead. But yeah, the sliths tend to comment that it's generally cold to them in these "upper" caves, compared to the lower slith homelands, where they're originally from, but they don't seem to suffer much from that. Plus, Temperature Tolerance doesn't negate Coldblooded, but increases the amount of time before it begins to affect the slith.
I stand corrected.

This thread has got me breaking out the games again. :)

Quote:
I don't think that they are any slower than the humans or the nephilim, again, basing them on the games, but they aren't any faster either, so I could see reducing their base Speed to make up for the bonus they get from their stats.
Exactly. That HT bonus means faster reactions…

Quote:
I like your idea of making Magery and Power Investiture trainable. Makes a lot of sense in regards to the setting, as more or less everyone can master the magical arts with enough training, but some (the characters with the Natural Mage trait in the games) are more predisposed to magic, and grasp magic more easily than others. As to the clerical magic, one weird thing about this setting is that "priestly" magic seems entirely separate from the deities or forces that the priest in question worships, so I don't think that limiting their magic based on their faith makes sense, and I think that Power Investiture would more likely represent the amount of "holy" power that they possess, rather than power that they get from their deity.
Okay, so it's more like magic from personal inspiration and dedication than magic granted by an outside source (emotional clerical magic vs. intellectual sorcerous magic)… which actually suits the mechanics just as well.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
Tiggurix

Quote:
I looked at it this way: Are nephilim ever surprised in ambushes? If they never are, then, yeah, Combat Reflexes for everyone.
Well, I remember few examples of any character being surprised in an ambush at all, whether that be human, nephil, slith, or anything else. But, again, the nephilim have faster reactions than human or slithzerikai of the same base level of Dexterity in the games, and if you have three of these characters with the same DEX, a human, a slith, and a nephil, the nephil will act before the others, barring any skills or equipment. Thus, my reason for granting them Combat Reflexes, as they have faster reactions than other species, and could probably draw a blade or an arrow faster than most humans and sliths, in a more fine-detailed game system such as GURPS.

Quote:
Well, I admit I'm going off of memory and some really hasty googling; it's been some years since I played the games. :) I saw a description of Nepharim being big, mean, and antisocial in ways that often led to them being driven out of society, or used as big sword fodder, so that led to that guess. I figured low IQ since IQ also represents education and social skills.
Well, some of them may be antisocial (i.e. the ones with the Bully trait), but they're definitely not asocial. They tend to create their own nepharim communities away from their nephilim kin, and others are fully integrated members of nephilim communities, even going so far as to become their chieftains. There's even an example in the second game of a nephar inheriting an inn from his adoptive human mother and becoming a full-fledged member of the (primarily) human community of Almaria!

Interestingly, this nephar mentions that she took him in during the wars, presumably the ones that the previous party of adventurers had taken part in back in the first games, some two years before the second game, when he was "but a wee kit". So if the nephilim (or just the nephar) don't have Shortened Lifespan, they definitely have several levels of Early Maturation (BTW, which book/article is it that describes the rules for that advantage in 4th edition?).

Quote:
Bully is a good addition to the list.
Yup. And now that I think about it, Bloodlust is as well, for the calmer, more devious and cunning, but merciless, nepharim.

Quote:
I suppose it goes on how thick we imagine the skin. If I scratch a slith with poison, or throw an electric eel at it, does it get sick or stunned, or is its hide and blubber just that thick? If the former, Tough Skin; if the latter, Flexible.
I imagine them not to have human-like skin at all, but thick scales all over the body, giving them good protection against all forms of damage, but especially fire, so I imagine that knife or arrow coated with poison wouldn't do anything unless it actually penetrated their combined DR. Now, I imagine they could be stunned by an electric shock (btw, throwing an electric eel at someone seems like a very silly thing to do, as I imagine one is even more likely to be shocked oneself, than the enemy that one throws it at!), but, again, it would have to penetrate their DR, which I imagine is even higher against electric attacks, as they are also "Burning" damage.

Quote:
This thread has got me breaking out the games again. :)
I'm really glad to hear that! =) They really are quite awesome experiencies, with an immersive world and good writing! ;)

Quote:
Okay, so it's more like magic from personal inspiration and dedication than magic granted by an outside source (emotional clerical magic vs. intellectual sorcerous magic)… which actually suits the mechanics just as well.
Yeah, that's more or less what I imagine it to function like. The priests channel their faith and dedication to their religion to channel the divine forces that they harness. Of course, I imagine that priests of different faiths focus on different magic, or don't use magic at all! But I think that they generally have almost as wide a selection of "spells" as the mages do, but generally focus more on the healing and blessing side of things. Certainly, the magic of the priests in the PC games are no less powerful than the mages', if not even more so!

Which reminds me of another issue that I need to clarify. How would you handle the "blessed" equipment in the games, the most powerful of the "mundane" equipment? I imagine them to not be "true" enchanted pieces of equipment at all, but rather equipment that has been thoroughly blessed to the degree that they act as if they were on a higher scale of craftsmanship, even if they are already "Fine" or "Very Fine"! Of course, since I imagine this permanent blessing to be a lengthy project, only steel equipment (which is already pretty rare and valuable in the caves to begin with) of good quality is ever blessed in this manner. I imagine that this blessing does not preclude the equipment from receiving proper enchantments, and stack reasonably with them, but that may be a smidge too powerful, if the PCs get ahold of such equipment.

Of course, I guess that one may just treat them as regular pieces of enchanted equipment as well, but "enchanted" by a priest, instead of a mage. ;)

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions so far! I'll update the racial templates, perhaps even with an experimental vahnatai template, when I get home and can retrieve my books! =)
Old 12-01-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
Tiggurix

All right, here's my second draft of the nephilim/nepharim and slithzerikai templates! I need a little more time to think about my first draft of the Vahnatai, but I already have some ideas about how they're going to be.

Nephilim (45 points)
Attributes: +1 Dexterity (20)
Advantages: Claws, Sharp (5); Teeth, Sharp (1); Fur (1); DR 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) (3); Temperature Tolerance (not active if fur is absent, wet, etc) (1); Accessory (long, flexible tail) (1); Deep Sleeper (1); Parabolic Hearing 1 (4); Ultrahearing (5); Combat Reflexes (15); Night Vision 7 (7).
Disadvantages: Sleepy (1/2 of the time) (-8); Slow Riser (-5); Social Stigma (Minority Group) (-10).
Features: Purring voice (0).
Racial quirk: Conscientious about their fur (-1).

Nepharim (62 points)
As above, plus:
Attributes: +3 Strength (Size Modifier -10%) (27)
Disadvantages: Pick one of Bad Temper (12) (-10) OR Berserk (12) (-10) OR Bloodlust (12) (-10) OR Bully (12) (-10).
Features: Size Modifier 1 (0); Sterile (0).

Slithzerikai (62 points)
Attributes: +3 Strength (Size Modifier -10%) (27); -1 Dexterity (-20); +2 Health (+20)
Secondary Attributes: -1.25 Basic Speed (-25)
Advantages: Amphibious (10); Scales (basically Fur perk (remember that DR does not, in itself, provide resistance to sunburn and the like, though it is rarely relevant, especially in this kind of campaign)); DR 2 [First layer] (Flexible, -20%) (8); DR 4 [Second layer] (Only Burning Attacks, -40%) (12); Nictitating Membrane 1 (1); Breath Holding 4 (8); Night Vision 5 (baseline) (0); Peripheral Vision (15); Claws, Blunt (3); Teeth, Sharp (1); Crushing Striker (Long 1, +100%; Cannot Parry, -40%; Clumsy 2, -40%; Weak, -50%) (4); Temperature Tolerance 5 (5); Longevity (2).
Disadvantages: Cold-Blooded 1 (-5); Slow Healing 1 (-5); Social Stigma (Minority Group) (-10).
Features: Sibilant Voice (0); Size Modifier 1 (0).

So there you have it. Feedback is, as always, appreciated!

Tags
avernum, fantasy, setting