Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
unsanemaker

Default Re: Super fantasy Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I wonder if the GM meant that each alternate candy power should be limited to a CP value of 2/level.
I wonder as well.
unsanemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
unsanemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Powers, p92.
Thank you.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #33
unsanemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
I was reading it to mean you can only put 2 points per day into improving the powers, but it's still not clear.
The power itself is full price but if I wish to increase how powerful it is, day increase duration or damage it will cost 2 more points per "power level increase " .
Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #34
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsanemaker View Post
I see. He thinks he stopping me but in reality he is just going to end up doing himself in. I know this is going to be my first time playing but I feel bad taking advantage of the situation at hand.
Pretty much, keep in mind while Gurps is a Generic game without class levels, where anything in theory could happen in practice what keeps the game itself in balance is that things cost points to do things and the GM is supposed to take an active roll in looking over new character sheets to make sure that they do not exploit the setting in a way that is going to break the campaign on day one.

I hate to say it but in this case unless the GM has something else planned on balancing the game out letting players purchase additional levels of power for just 2 points a level and handing out 900 points to the players to build new characters is just asking for the campaign to become horribly warped at start.

For example something simple such as Corrosion Attack level 1 with Area of Effect level [24] (1200%) is enough to cover the entire earth in an AOE toss in Selective Area (20%) and now you can exclude any target(s) you wish on the planet. Add in Affect insubstantial as well just to be safe for (10%) This power costs by RAW 133 Points per new d6 of corrosion damage.

Under your DMs system you could eassily afford 68 levels of corrosion damage for just 200 points leaving you 700 points for other abilities. This means for the just the price of a bag of candy you could kill every non super powered being on Earth (and most super powered ones) with your first piece of candy let alone the rest of the bag.

Believe it or not this might be one of the kinder things you could do to him because nowyou have a 200 point power that you can decide is your "most expensive version of Candy Powers" and build each new power as an alternative ability to "Candy Crush" for 1/5 normal cost as long as the new power comes to a price under 200 points. For 900 points noreal restriction on powers and each new level of an ability only costing 2 points per level you are a walking weapon of Mass Destruction that should be able to wreck the campaign with the first piece of Candy that you eat.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #35
unsanemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Pretty much, keep in mind while Gurps is a Generic game without class levels, where anything in theory could happen in practice what keeps the game itself in balance is that things cost points to do things and the GM is supposed to take an active roll in looking over new character sheets to make sure that they do not exploit the setting in a way that is going to break the campaign on day one.

I hate to say it but in this case unless the GM has something else planned on balancing the game out letting players purchase additional levels of power for just 2 points a level and handing out 900 points to the players to build new characters is just asking for the campaign to become horribly warped at start.

For example something simple such as Corrosion Attack level 1 with Area of Effect level [24] (1200%) is enough to cover the entire earth in an AOE toss in Selective Area (20%) and now you can exclude any target(s) you wish on the planet. Add in Affect insubstantial as well just to be safe for (10%) This power costs by RAW 133 Points per new d6 of corrosion damage.

Under your DMs system you could eassily afford 68 levels of corrosion damage for just 200 points leaving you 700 points for other abilities. This means for the just the price of a bag of candy you could kill every non super powered being on Earth (and most super powered ones) with your first piece of candy let alone the rest of the bag.

Believe it or not this might be one of the kinder things you could do to him because nowyou have a 200 point power that you can decide is your "most expensive version of Candy Powers" and build each new power as an alternative ability to "Candy Crush" for 1/5 normal cost as long as the new power comes to a price under 200 points. For 900 points noreal restriction on powers and each new level of an ability only costing 2 points per level you are a walking weapon of Mass Destruction that should be able to wreck the campaign with the first piece of Candy that you eat.
I'm not looking to become a WMD. I'm looking to become s gnome version of Doctor Jekyll Mister Hyde Judy with candy. Is there a a way to get more attacks or eat a different candy per turn?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #36
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I'm not looking to become a WMD. I'm looking to become s gnome version of Doctor Jekyll Mister Hyde Judy with candy. Is there a a way to get more attacks or eat a different candy per turn?
Extra Attack would let you do 2 attacks per turn, but, if you want to eat candy AND shoot on the same "turn," you'll want Altered Time Rate. 1 level of ATR means that you experience 2 seconds for every 1 seconds everybody else experiences, meaning you can use your first turn to eat, and your second turn to attack.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #37
Nosforontu

Quote:
Under the curent system roughly 100 points for the first level of Altered Time Rate 2 points per additional action afterwards, considering the buy in is 100 points I would probably look at say 10+ levels for a "Sugar Rush power". Which would give you 10 actions a turn for 118 points

Alternatively Duplication with Construct (60%), Duplicated Gear (100%), Reduced Fatigue Cost (100%) is a 161 points and again with the GMs rules is only 2 points a level after. With each piece of candy you eat a copy of yourself up to your duplication limit, and each copy has all of your gear and powers. If they die you can effortlessly recreate a copy thanks to the Reduce Fatigue Cost Enhancement. Combine this trick with Altered time Rate and you could have 10 actions per Duplicate and 10 dupliates for less than 300 points, or roughly a 110 actions per turn. Toss in Telesend with a another piece of candy and Mind Link with your hive and you become a "one man" army".

A fairy small percentage of your point total because of the massively discounted cost for extra levels in the campaign. However you spend your points unless you make a serious and concentrated effort not to take advantage of the overly generous discount you are going to be very god like in any power direction you care to master.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #38
unsanemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Under the curent system roughly 100 points for the first level of Altered Time Rate 2 points per additional action afterwards, considering the buy in is 100 points I would probably look at say 10+ levels for a "Sugar Rush power". Which would give you 10 actions a turn for 118 points

Alternatively Duplication with Construct (60%), Duplicated Gear (100%), Reduced Fatigue Cost (100%) is a 161 points and again with the GMs rules is only 2 points a level after. With each piece of candy you eat a copy of yourself up to your duplication limit, and each copy has all of your gear and powers. If they die you can effortlessly recreate a copy thanks to the Reduce Fatigue Cost Enhancement. Combine this trick with Altered time Rate and you could have 10 actions per Duplicate and 10 dupliates for less than 300 points, or roughly a 110 actions per turn. Toss in Telesend with a another piece of candy and Mind Link with your hive and you become a "one man" army".

A fairy small percentage of your point total because of the massively discounted cost for extra levels in the campaign. However you spend your points unless you make a serious and concentrated effort not to take advantage of the overly generous discount you are going to be very god like in any power direction you care to master.

Like I said I'm not looking to become god like but I like the multiple action per turn. What else can I do to balance myself out?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #39
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Like I said I'm not looking to become god like but I like the multiple action per turn. What else can I do to balance myself out?
Throw Costs Fatigue on the OP powers, or give them cooldowns. That lets you do awesome things, but you still need to rest after battles.

Also, Unkillable 3 would only cost 54 points...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #40
Nosforontu

Quote:
I realize that just trying to show you some of the abuses the house rules are potentially going to create in the character design process. Its going to be really hard not to play a god with those house rules though. You have the point budget/house rules to be godlike at anything you want to do. The first thing I would do is talk with the GM and try to talk him into using the regular cost for Gurps advantages so the campaign doesnt break before it begins.

After that I would talk to him about what kind of damage levels and defense levels he wants to see in the game based on what he sees as the games benchmarks.

The first thing we need to look at is common thug/henchmen weapons. A thug with a pistol does about 2d6 damage (average damage 7), SMG is going to between 2d6 to 3d6 per hit with multiple hits (average Damage 7 to 10.5) Shot Guns usually do 5d6 with slugs (Average Damage 17.5). Rifles tend to start at 5d and work their way up to 7d6 damage ( Average Damage (24.5). While a dfended bases Machine Gun turrets will do up to 24d6 (Average Damage 84). Their are heavier weapons potentialy in play like Tank Guns or Anti Tank weapons but the cost of DR to protect yourself from such threats is prohibitive compared to other ways to protect yourself (truthfully even armoring up against Heavy Machine Guns is rarely cost effective). When figuring defense its not a horrible idea to decide what weapons you want to be simply immune to thanks to DR (probably at least pistols). What weapons you wont be hurt by on average (say shot guns or assault rifles), and what weapons you need to not get hit by (Heavy Machine Guns).

Once you and the GM figure which benchmarks you are going to use for weapons/armor it will give you an idea of where you need to peg your own damage output. If the average threat is a mugger in an alley way with a Leather Jacket (DR 1) and a baseball bat (say 2d6) you dont need a 20d6 attack that will over kill him by a significant margin. On the other hand if you are going to be assaulting Hydra bases filled with HMGs and Tanks a 20d6 attack even if it ignores the tanks DR completely thanks to enhancements might not be enough to stop it in one hit. Different enhancements are built to take care of different potential enemy defenses.

High Rate of Fire and Area of Effect attacks are a good choice for characters going up against enemies with abnormally high Active Defenses (Dodge Scores in the 15+ range are a real possibility for characters at your point total).

Area of Effect attacks and High levels of rapid damage cycles, and high levelsof rapid fire are murderous against characters who rely on Diffuseh to survive hits. Most of the above is also really good against targets that simply prefer to regenerate damage away like Wolverine.

High levels of Innate Attack Damage, Levels of Armor pierecing, are what you are going to need to punch through heavy DR levels.

Tags
candy, fantasy, hero, super powers, superheroes