Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Short? Of the $7.99 price points, DF1 was 34 pages, DF2 was 34 pages, DF3 was 46 pages (and garnered complaints about all of the cross-lens stuff being "filler"), and DF5 was 30 pages. At 44 pages, this is actually one of the longest DF books (at the $7.99 price point) yet!
My problem with it was that there weren't any new class or creature templates. :-D

Please don't smite me, oh mighty assistant line editor!

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
My problem with it was that there weren't any new class or creature templates. :-D

Please don't smite me, oh mighty assistant line editor!
I thought there was some demons, elementals, spirits and undead templates in them ??? I was about to buy it for that particular reason (not to mention the reasonable price).
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint View Post
I thought there was some demons, elementals, spirits and undead templates in them ??? I was about to buy it for that particular reason (not to mention the reasonable price).
Note smiley.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint View Post
There's tons and tons of all of that. In fact, this is practically a "monster manual" for DF. If you have DF2 (for some good, basic monsters), DF5 (for cinematically dangerous animals), and DF9 (for demons, elementals, spirits, undead, etc.), you've pretty much got a full repertoire of monsters to throw at your PCs!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Short? Of the $7.99 price points, DF1 was 34 pages, DF2 was 34 pages, DF3 was 46 pages (and garnered complaints about all of the cross-lens stuff being "filler"), and DF5 was 30 pages. At 44 pages, this is actually one of the longest DF books (at the $7.99 price point) yet!

Those are explicitly optional at this point, for two main reasons. First, they garnered some complaints about being "filler-like". But more importantly, as you start to add more and more templates, it becomes ridiculous to try to keep up on it all. Going from 10 templates to 11 requires adding 20 new lenses, for example! It gets to a point where it's a question of page count. In this case, Summoners could have included all those lenses -- at the cost of losing a huge chunk of summoned creatures! Given a choice between a full range of elementals or 'cross-class lenses', I'd rather have the elementals.

EDIT: Specifically, this raises the number of book-official templates from 13 to 17 (not counting the two from Pyramid). That would mean 4 new lenses for each old class (52 total) and 16 new lenses for each new class (48 total), or 100 lenses needed to keep up. Assuming about seven per page, that's 14 pages of material that would need to be cut to squeeze that in. (And no, bumping the page count up by 14 pages and selling it at a higher price isn't an option -- see the complaints about filler, previous in this paragraph).
DFXL - The Lens-Book, 18 pages, $4.99...

No matter how good it is, it'll have to wait for payday
(maybe even payday in April:()
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
DFXL - The Lens-Book, 18 pages, $4.99...

No matter how good it is, it'll have to wait for payday
(maybe even payday in April:()
I sympathize. I am also in the poverty boat longing for all the Gursp DF-y goodness.
Who am I kidding, I'll eat Ramen for a week for it. Too bad my gf may not agree. ;)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Note smiley.
Darn these sarcastic smileys. Stupid technology. grumble grumble...

That's what happens when you answer a post too fast because you're about to leave work.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Gudiomen

On page 44 it teaches you to summon the rest of the book. Yes, it's that good.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Cernig

Thank you SJG, I just found lots of extra goodness (i.e. badness :-) to throw at my players in my "modern urban fantasy" game as well as my fantasy/DF game.

The fact that there's an option for each 'class' to be powers-based rather than spell-based is wonderful too. Someone make a note of that: an official PDF set of powers-based templates for various mages, witches and clerical varieties would be a good Thaumatology supplement for those of us who prefer spells-as-powers. I hope SJG intends continuing this idea in future works.
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cernig View Post
Thank you SJG, I just found lots of extra goodness (i.e. badness :-) to throw at my players in my "modern urban fantasy" game as well as my fantasy/DF game.

The fact that there's an option for each 'class' to be powers-based rather than spell-based is wonderful too. Someone make a note of that: an official PDF set of powers-based templates for various mages, witches and clerical varieties would be a good Thaumatology supplement for those of us who prefer spells-as-powers. I hope SJG intends continuing this idea in future works.
It's not "instead of" is it? I thought there were spells and then powers that you could also get, in addition to the spells. Like the clerics getting spells plus all the holy powers they can buy.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, gurpsland