Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #31
JLV

Default Re: Sell Me on The Fantasy Trip

Actually, that does a great job of encapsulating my feelings about just about ANY other RPG system -- they are ALL at about 600 pages of rules and exceptions to the rules, and footnotes to the exceptions to the rules, and it just makes them impossible to effectively use unless you want to completely memorize the rules.

TFT, on the other hand, has about 10 pages of rules for Melee, and maybe another five or ten for Wizard on top of that, and then about 20 more total pages of rules including crunchy stuff like "drowning" or "falling." Everything else (call it about 120 - 140 pages) is all things like bestiary info, info on Cidri, info on making magical items or potions, how to GM, how to map, info on criminal justice, etc., etc., etc. In other words, only a few paras of rules (since everything pretty much uses the rules you already have from Melee and Wizard), and a lot of advice, information, and suggestions you can use or ignore as you see fit.

I find it a LOT easier to memorize 10 to 20 pages of rules than I do 600! And since the rules are so literally intuitive, they really ARE easy to master -- whether or not you actually "memorize" them -- they just make sense on every level. So after a couple of hours of playing, you're ready to get down to the nitty-gritty of RPGing -- story development and telling!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #32
afschell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Filigree View Post
Which VTT do you use for TFT?
MapTool. Mainly because, I control the server. Which means I don't have to worry about map size and user disk space requirements.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
Tolenkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Another important insight to those fresh to TFT: In its heart of hearts it is a board game, which gives it a different feel from most other tabletop roleplaying games. This is the source of its strength as a system for fights and tactical-scale (e.g., dungeon) exploration, because the rules are naturally developed to let you quickly resolve all sorts of actions in the mode of 'hex and chit' board games. It's a very different design concept from the way most roleplaying games approach these issues. They tend to be more vague about concrete questions of who is where and what happens when, but also have a greater volume of rules to contend with, simply because they are 'bigger' games overall (more character traits and options, etc.). So, TFT is tighter and more concrete, while also being faster playing.
BANG! You hit the nail right on the head. I was thinking about this but couldn't get it into words as well as you have here. In TFT, your characters always have to be thinking tactically and play fights out in front of everyone with clearly marked turns, map, and rules for the action. As they say: the devil is in the details. I found this got me into my character more and I would often ask myself "what would my character do here?". We found that having the group understand the tactics of a situation was key.

-Tolenkar
Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #34
Frost Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Although I have used both "easy" and "simple" to describe the system, my preference is for "elegant."

(In its scientific definition)

"Pleasingly ingenious and simple."

I've seen simple but inelegant systems and I've seen elegant but complex systems. TFT was the only one that managed to be both elegant and simple.
"Elegant" was the very first word that came to mind for me when reading the op's post! I'd have to agree.
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #35
CON_Troll

I like Melee/Wizard for their simple, clean and VERY well-balanced tactical rules. It's like OGRE in that regard.

TFT RPG is a gamemaster's dream. You can make up (and/or change) encounters for your players on-the-fly because it is so easy to balance enemies vs. your player's current abilities and condition.

And, like others here have already said, it is one of the best games for playing solo. The two Death Test modules are fantastic. My earliest memory of playing this system was running myself through the first Death Test on a Summer's night. I didn't realize how hooked I was until my Dad came out to the living room.
I said: "Sorry Dad. Did the dice wake you?"
Dad said: "No son, I'm getting ready for work. Do you realize it's 6am?"
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #36
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
My earliest memory of playing this system was running myself through the first Death Test on a Summer's night. I didn't realize how hooked I was until my Dad came out to the living room.
I said: "Sorry Dad. Did the dice wake you?"
Dad said: "No son, I'm getting ready for work. Do you realize it's 6am?"
Yessir. That to me is also the singularly most powerful quality of TFT above any other game I have every played - it's almost mystical and transcendental element; being the real magic of TFT.

Nicely expressed!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
Kirk

When I was in college living in cooperative housing in an old house we would play Saturday nights, trying to temporarily escape the poverty and stress of being a poor student, until the room began to perceptibly brighten. It would then dawn on us it was 5am or later and we would shut it down and sleep until noon. I *really* miss those days, though I'm not certain I would want to go through the uncertainty and unseen future all over again.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #38
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolenkar View Post
BANG! You hit the nail right on the head. I was thinking about this but couldn't get it into words as well as you have here. In TFT, your characters always have to be thinking tactically and play fights out in front of everyone with clearly marked turns, map, and rules for the action. As they say: the devil is in the details. I found this got me into my character more and I would often ask myself "what would my character do here?". We found that having the group understand the tactics of a situation was key.

-Tolenkar
The same is true in many people's D&D games; tactical minis use goes back to Dave Arneson.

It's also often true in Traveller, especially in MegaTraveller or TNE, but also many CT Refs used either Snapshot or AHL as their tactical rules...

Really, it's not a unique aspect in function, only in those who started TFT with the board games.

Likewise, I've seen situations where GM's "de-mapped" combat in TFT. (One was a PBP on a now defunct BBS.) I've done so myself for a couple campaigns... one where the players were all gargoyles... (Or, to quote the PC's and their players, "One gargoyle, and two garguys!")
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #39
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afschell View Post
Simply put, I cannot remember all the rules and various conditions as they apply in DFRPG, much less GURPS. That means that I am (at least partially) winging it when certain combat situations arise.
The detail in GURPS can immerse you in cool scenes and effects, but I also have to wonder:

Can an accurate system where you inevitably forget some rules produce similar results to an abstract system where you can apply all the rules?

In a sense, truly realistic RPGs have to find the sweet spot between depth and human fallibility.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #40
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
. . . Do you realize it's 6am?"
Steve Jackson certainly has a knack for keeping people up all night.

In high school, one night, I didn't get home until 6 AM because of Convoy, another awesome programmed adventure by Mr. Jackson but for Car Wars instead.*

I'm sure there's a point in developing such an adventure where the designer wonders what the purpose of all the work is, but it paid off. Thanks for the memories.

* Unfortunately, we spilled the algae and Memphis died . . . but some of our drivers did start nodding off prematurely. ;-)

Last edited by Tom H.; 08-06-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Inserted a link.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the fantasy trip