Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Fluff question about Innate Attack and Jet

Salutations!

What exactly is the fluff difference between regular Innate Attack and IA with the Jet modifier? Jet states that it makes the attack a "continuous stream" that handles like a melee attack, but IA also lists dragonfire as an example without explicitly calling for the Jet enhancement. Should it?

Cyclops' eye blasts, Superman's heat vision, and many similar attacks... they are usually portrayed as continuous beams. Does that mean they should all be built as Jets? Should regular IA (Beam) attacks be decribed as short bursts rather than what people (I at least) normally think of when they hear "beam"?

When do you apply Jet?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Fluff question about Innate Attack and Jet

Mechanically, Jet has a few effects. Some of which I'll probably miss right now:
1. Jets do not take range penalties.
2. Jets have 1/10 normal range.
3. Jets are RoF 1.

So basically, they get treated like really long reach melee weapons that still roll against Innate Attack to hit and have a 1/2D range. I'm not look8ng at my book at the moment, so I'm probably missing somethibg.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Default Re: Fluff question about Innate Attack and Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

What exactly is the fluff difference between regular Innate Attack and IA with the Jet modifier? Jet states that it makes the attack a "continuous stream" that handles like a melee attack, but IA also lists dragonfire as an example without explicitly calling for the Jet enhancement. Should it?

Cyclops' eye blasts, Superman's heat vision, and many similar attacks... they are usually portrayed as continuous beams. Does that mean they should all be built as Jets? Should regular IA (Beam) attacks be decribed as short bursts rather than what people (I at least) normally think of when they hear "beam"?

When do you apply Jet?
I apply Jet strictly when I want the mechanic effects listed for it in the rules. If the attack doesn't act like the rules describe jet, then appearing similar to one is a Special Effect.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innate attack, jet