Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Kalminos

Default Opposite of Acute Senses - Dull Senses?

advantages such as acute vision, touch, taste/smell, hearing, cost 2 points a level, and increase perception by 1 when that one is involved.

Mainly for the purposes of racial templates, Would a Dull Vision [-2] for a race who's eyesight is a bit worse than a human's be a fair disadvantage? In cases where acute and dull senses both apply, their differences would level out.

Alternatively, since disadvantages are often worth less than their advantage forms, would [-1] be more fair? It's interesting that these were left out from the basic set- Was their use problematic?
Kalminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Opposite of Acute Senses - Dull Senses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalminos View Post
advantages such as acute vision, touch, taste/smell, hearing, cost 2 points a level, and increase perception by 1 when that one is involved.

Mainly for the purposes of racial templates, Would a Dull Vision [-2] for a race who's eyesight is a bit worse than a human's be a fair disadvantage? In cases where acute and dull senses both apply, their differences would level out.

Alternatively, since disadvantages are often worth less than their advantage forms, would [-1] be more fair? It's interesting that these were left out from the basic set- Was their use problematic?
Since Perception can be bought up and down, it makes sense to say that Acute Hearing is Perception (Hearing only, -60%); and then Less Acute Hearing would be figured the same way.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Leynok

My gut feeling tells me that -1 feels more right, however since we're working basically off a piece of Perception, and the Attributes have a same positive to negative cost, -2 would be fine as well.

However if the sense costs -2 per level, then you should not be allowed more than one Dull Sense. Compare the following: Perception +2 [10]; Dull Sight 2 [-4]; Dull Smell and Taste 2 [-4] Total [2] and Acute Hearing 2 [4].
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalminos View Post
GURPS Power-Ups: Quirks gives examples in which a -1 (or -2 in some cases) to a sense merits a -1 point quirk.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Steven Marsh

If you make up your own disadvantage, I humbly suggest naming it Obtuse Senses. :-)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Bruno

We already have Hard of Hearing, several different versions of Bad Sight (two in the basic set, the light level sensitivity introduced in Fantasy and used multiple other places, and the Low Resolution version from Power Ups: Senses), Anosmia, Numb.

I wouldn't introduce a leveled form. Go with the quirks from Power Ups: Quirks, and if you need something stronger, take a full strength disad.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
We already have Hard of Hearing, several different versions of Bad Sight (two in the basic set, the light level sensitivity introduced in Fantasy and used multiple other places, and the Low Resolution version from Power Ups: Senses), Anosmia, Numb.

I wouldn't introduce a leveled form. Go with the quirks from Power Ups: Quirks, and if you need something stronger, take a full strength disad.
I expect better from you, Bruno.
If you can't find what you want, don't make it. Just take either quirks or massive disads regardless of what you want.
Why have so many of TPTB said the same thing? That's not an answer or justification for why we should avoid making weak senses.
It really screws with alien write ups. Why even have numbers if we can only use penalties of 1, 4, or null?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Why have so many of TPTB said the same thing? That's not an answer or justification for why we should avoid making weak senses.
Your definition of "so many" seems odd. In this thread so far, only Bruno has advised against. The rest of us have talked about how to do it, what it should cost, or what to call it, which does not seem to equate to a recommendation to avoid doing it. So I don't understand what provoked your reaction.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

I meant so many in a general sense for every time this topic has come up. You've been the only main author I remember ever coming in on "my" side.
Every other name I recognized was emphatically with Bruno, which I just don't get.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I meant so many in a general sense for every time this topic has come up. You've been the only main author I remember ever coming in on "my" side.
Every other name I recognized was emphatically with Bruno, which I just don't get.
I'm actually kind of neutral about it. It's not obvious to me that there's any more reason to disallow negative Acute Vision than to disallow negative Perception modifiers.

I do see a meaningful distinction here: Acute Vision seems to involve having more cognitive processing power devoted to seeing, whereas Telescopic Vision and Microscopic Vision and the like involve changes in the physical structure of the eye. The same seems to go with the negative versions.

Tags
acute senses, basic set, disadvamtages, disadvantages