Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
AcetheSuperVillain

Default Compartmentalized Mind Martial Arts

So for the Space-Fantasy-Pirate thing I've got going on, I wanted to include an alien race of Grey Elves (who call themselves an Aleph, the Alphar) that have Compartmentalized Mind as a racial feature. I want to give them some native "Martial Arts" that rely on this ability, and I'm just double checking that I've got the rules and possibilities right. I might do some of these as Martial Arts packages with a list of techniques if appropriate, but for now:

Double Cast - Mind1 casts one spell, Mind2 casts another. They can combine into a stronger version of the spell (i.e. two Fire Balls at once are twice as strong), cast the same spell at two different targets or cast two different spells. This allows for some odd combinations, like Mind Control and Damage at the same time, Break and Mend something on the same turn, Teleport Other into or out of an AoE spell, and so on.

Defend Cast - Mind1 does All-Out-Defense while Mind2 casts a spell. I don't think there's a rule for this, but I think as long as the body doesn't get hit, Mind2's spell is still good. Could also combine with a defensive spell, like All-Out-Dodge and Blink, or All-Out-Block with a blocking spell.

Move Cast - Mind1 moves while Mind2 casts a spell. Might allow for odd maneuvers like "double jumping" by jumping and casting a spell that hardens air or moves a piece of rock under your feet.

Strike Cast - Mind1 attacks while Mind2 casts a spell. Perhaps Mind1 could do an All-Out-Attack while Mind2 does a defensive spell or Mind2 casts a spell that obstructs the target's ability to defend itself an instant before Mind1's blow hits. Elfoids like the Alphar are naturally Ambidextrous in this universe, so an Aleph warrior is likely adding Extra-Attacks to this onslaught. Alphar's magic focuses on Enchantments and Golemology, so a professional warrior also has some intelligent construct or Dancing Weapons (I'm seeing Jian, Deer Antler and Hook Sword as their weapons of choice) on their side as well. (It also means they are likely activating magical items rather than casting new spells in most of these examples)

Elves in general have low HP and FP, so an Aleph is predisposed to resolve armed conflict as quickly as possible. In large scale battles, Aleph warriors save themselves for elite enemies and let their golem armies deal with the riff-raff. Might also do some Alphar as Psions, but I'm not sure my non-Compartmentalized Mind can handle the possibilities right now.
AcetheSuperVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind Martial Arts

I'm curious, have you come up with any interesting moves that don't reley on magic, but only chi abilities? Which look a lot like magic sometimes, and in my campaign are magic,
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I'm curious, have you come up with any interesting moves that don't reley on magic, but only chi abilities? Which look a lot like magic sometimes, and in my campaign are magic,
Strike cast is the easiest: you can attack at the same time you use a Chi attack like forceful shout.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
AcetheSuperVillain

Quote:
I'm not sure what abilities other than magic using the Concentrate maneuver. The Martial Arts book lists the skill Hypnotic Hands, and the Innate Attacks, Mega-Kiai and Soul Blast as Concentrate maneuvers (which is also true of any Malediction). Basic Set says the Kiai skill counts as an attack.

I feel like Telekinesis would be a great addition to Compartmentalized Mind, since you could be poltergeisting, wielding an extra weapon with your mind or force-choking someone as a free action. Maybe throw a pair of shurikens and then guide them telekinetically for a few turns.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcetheSuperVillain View Post
I'm not sure what abilities other than magic using the Concentrate maneuver. The Martial Arts book lists the skill Hypnotic Hands, and the Innate Attacks, Mega-Kiai and Soul Blast as Concentrate maneuvers (which is also true of any Malediction). Basic Set says the Kiai skill counts as an attack.

I feel like Telekinesis would be a great addition to Compartmentalized Mind, since you could be poltergeisting, wielding an extra weapon with your mind or force-choking someone as a free action. Maybe throw a pair of shurikens and then guide them telekinetically for a few turns.
I think that power blow takes some time to prepare. I'm wondering if that could be done in a compartmentalized mind.

And maybe it would be nice to have a CM of which one compartment doesn't feel pain or weakness, it's only link to the outside world is the "main" mind. That way the protected CM can't be distracted as easily.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
AcetheSuperVillain

Quote:
I think that power blow takes some time to prepare. I'm wondering if that could be done in a compartmentalized mind.
I think Power Blow has a precursory roll of success, but it doesn't take any extra time.

Quote:
And maybe it would be nice to have a CM of which one compartment doesn't feel pain or weakness, it's only link to the outside world is the "main" mind. That way the protected CM can't be distracted as easily.
Sure it would be nice, but also complete haxors if you ask me. CM+ competent magic or psionic skills will already be pretty difficult to overcome.

Nonetheless, I feel like there's probably a way to do it. Think of some way to seal off a normal mind so that it can only function through a particular conduit (maybe like a ship's computer that needs an operator to be at a specific panel)(or essentially put it in a coma). Give the inner mind a way of seeing and hearing what the outer mind sees and hears, but not what it feels. (In which case, it could still lose Concentration due to overstimulating the visual and audio senses, unless it has Protected Senses) Or treat the inner mind as something that outer mind must address to use:

Outer: "Hey, can you cast a fireball for me?"
Inner: "Sure, one sec..."
Outer: "Ow!"
Inner: "Huh? is something happening?"
Outer: "Yeah, we're fighting a big dragon thing."
Inner: "Oh, okay. Here's your fireball."
Outer: "Thanks."

So your Inner Mind is kinda like a biological computer. That might be an interesting way to handle vehicles that can cast their own spells.

Or I guess Numb or Doesn't Feel Pain with Accessibility: Inner Mind only would work too.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcetheSuperVillain View Post
I think Power Blow has a precursory roll of success, but it doesn't take any extra time.
It's -10 to the roll if you want to use it Instantly. This drops to -5 after 1 turn of Concentration, which CM could offset. Arguably, those 5 points of skill are worth almost as much--20 points--and are much more useful since if you can use it instantly, then it's useful for multiple attacks per turn, whereas a single level of CM is only useful once per turn.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
It's -10 to the roll if you want to use it Instantly. This drops to -5 after 1 turn of Concentration, which CM could offset. Arguably, those 5 points of skill are worth almost as much--20 points--and are much more useful since if you can use it instantly, then it's useful for multiple attacks per turn, whereas a single level of CM is only useful once per turn.
However the lower penalty increase the chance of getting higher multiples of ST
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
However the lower penalty increase the chance of getting higher multiples of ST
AFAICT, that argument applies equally well to either the skill increase or the CM.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
AFAICT, that argument applies equally well to either the skill increase or the CM.
Barring the existence of Skill caps or maintenance for high skills putting an effective skill cap.

But While power blow along comes close to braking even, adding in Braking Blows or imbuments you start coming out a head with CM
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compartmentalized mind