Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Danger Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
IYou know dungeons are dangerous already and danger lurks everywhere. Simply getting confirmation of that when you walk around is useless.
I have to disagree. Note the literary reference: "The Lady or the Tiger?" refers to a story in which one door leads to deadly danger while the other leads to safety. What his Danger Sense has warned him of is that one of the doors he faces is a trap, but only one ... which is an advantage over thinking that both are safe, or even that both are deadly.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I have to disagree. Note the literary reference: "The Lady or the Tiger?" refers to a story in which one door leads to deadly danger while the other leads to safety. What his Danger Sense has warned him of is that one of the doors he faces is a trap, but only one ... which is an advantage over thinking that both are safe, or even that both are deadly.
It's true that in contexts of generally no-danger, even an imprecise danger signal is some information, but GURPS takes place in both.

Either way the problem of a workable trigger would remain. There is no danger until the character decides to open a door, so alerting him before that as a way of making his advantage more useless is cheating.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
Kradethedark

As I see it, danger sense is simply very context based.

It warns essentially of immediate danger to one's person (or whatever if it was altered to detect danger to allies, etc) so just walking down a dungeon hallway (although dungeons are always dangerous in general) would not warrant a roll.

However, should one be a step away from triggering a hidden trap or that an ambush lies right around the next corner preparing to strike, or a sniper has set himself up aiming at one's head, a normal success would be the equivalent of "Your spidey sense is tingling" and one should think about preparing or diving for cover.

Good context would be something like seeing a shadow move in a way that didn't seem quite right or noticing that the birds who were calling to each other seconds before have suddenly gone silent.
Kradethedark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active, danger, defense, dodge, sense