Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Bought it immediately. My only question is... Do I use Sorcery or do I use Ritual Path Magic? This is probably one of the most difficult dilemmas I will have to tackle this week. What do you think, PK?
Why not use both?

It's been said that GURPS Magic's magic system is overpowered, and it certainly looks to me as if it tends to dangerously often make for versatile spellcasters, but both RPM and Sorcery are grounded in the advantage point costs of 4th Edition and so presumably both can be used in the same world as different but co-existing magic systems, without game balance problems.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #22
Kalzazz

I've used RPM and Magic Magic side by side no fuss, no muss, no issues
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Sure. Replace Sorcerous Empowerment with Ritual Adept + levels of Magery (Ritual Path), and use RPM for "improvised magic" instead of sorcery. That way you have fast, easy "sorcery evocations" and slow, versatile "RPM rituals."
I've been doing this for quite a while in my current campaign - Sicatra - and it works just fine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Just to be sure, the PDF is a stand-alone work, not requiring the referencing of the preceeeding Pyramid article?
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumatology: Sorcery p3
An early version of this system appeared in the article “The Power of Sorcery,” from Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II; it has been significantly overhauled and expanded for this supplement.
That, and a mention that the system for turning Imbuements into skills is based on an article in Pyramid 3/44, are the only mentions of Pyramid.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
That should be the first one in the Inventing New Spells sidebar on p. 13. (Also, we do our best to put new power modifiers in the Index... and, indeed, I note this one is listed. Whew; no errata about this!) :-)
Great, thank you! Missed it in the sidebar. Was looking for it in all the wrong places... :)
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #26
A Ladder

Absolutely love Sorcery. Bought this immediatly.

I had already converted all my spells over to Powers-based magic a while ago but the one thing that was missing was Enchanting. Thanks PK for the great enchanting system!

However, I don't think I understand the Alchemy section...It looks like a 1d healing potion would cost $1229, while an Icy Weapon Sword only costs $1152 plus the cost of the sword. That seems a little inconsistent. What am I missing?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #27
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I've been doing this for quite a while in my current campaign - Sicatra - and it works just fine.
I'd be tempted to use Sorcery as a drop-in replacement for RPM in Monster Hunters. It just... feels like a better fit relative to the other empowerment types, all of which are already powers-based.

Then again, I'm also the guy who wants the Experiment redone as an Inhuman racial template... :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Then again, I'm also the guy who wants the Experiment redone as an Inhuman racial template... :)
I actually just tried applying the overman template (MH 5) as an inhuman package. The result felt quite nice. Though the 14 IQ looks a little overdone.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #29
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Sure. Replace Sorcerous Empowerment with Ritual Adept + levels of Magery (Ritual Path), and use RPM for "improvised magic" instead of sorcery. That way you have fast, easy "sorcery evocations" and slow, versatile "RPM rituals."
Hmmm. Sounds like a great bet for that Dresden Files Magic thread.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #30
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I actually just tried applying the overman template (MH 5) as an inhuman package. The result felt quite nice. Though the 14 IQ looks a little overdone.
That'd be a good starting point, but the Overman is an upgrade lens, which are set up slightly differently from the Inhuman racial templates. Still, I can see that it would be a workable option, at least until I create an Experiment racial template myself. :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, powers, thaumatology