Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #911
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Alright, fixed the issue that was causing the ship to not be able to load. Posted the update release info to my last release message above.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #912
davester65

Thanks, it seems to work fine now.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #913
Rupert

I've found what I believe to be another minor issue - when a ship has a Contragravity system installed as a 'smaller system', it does not get the +2 Hnd from the contragrav. I believe it should, as a contragrav system's effect is absolute up to its rated maximum.

I think this should also apply if the vessel is equipped with Etherwood, as SS7, p.5 says "If the lift of etherwood exceeds the planetary gravity, the vessel flies as if it had contragravity lifters", and currently the sheet does not do this.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #914
BobRossImpersonator

Any way I can convert all units to SI units? I.e., yard to meter, miles to km, lbs to kgs, etc

Last edited by BobRossImpersonator; 12-16-2018 at 06:00 AM.
BobRossImpersonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #915
davester65

I've had a few ideas of options you could add to the spreadsheet if you like.

Make it so that lasers in weapons batteries smaller than major can have the phased array option. Also allowing some weapons other than lasers to have the phased array option (disintegraters and conversion beams say) at their base TL so as to make them closer to the phasers from Star Trek.

Allow drop capsules to be modified for occupants of different SM's. In the Starship Troopers novel the powered armor suits massed about 1 ton so would have been SM+2.

I don't know if this is possible but how about having it so that a missile launcher can carry a smaller number of larger missiles than normal. Say if a launcher normally carried 10 of a certain size missile you could opt to carry 3 of the next size up and only 1 missile of 2 sizes larger. Or base the decreased number on the missiles mass. This would allow for having "torpedo bomber" type space fighters that just carry a single large missile.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #916
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
I've had a few ideas of options you could add to the spreadsheet if you like.

Make it so that lasers in weapons batteries smaller than major can have the phased array option. Also allowing some weapons other than lasers to have the phased array option (disintegraters and conversion beams say) at their base TL so as to make them closer to the phasers from Star Trek.
Maybe. I don't think that this will be too hard to implement.

Quote:
Allow drop capsules to be modified for occupants of different SM's. In the Starship Troopers novel the powered armor suits massed about 1 ton so would have been SM+2.
That's not a bad idea. Most other crew systems can be adjusted by SM of the occupants (habitats, bridge, etc), I see no reason why drop capsules shouldn't be either.

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible but how about having it so that a missile launcher can carry a smaller number of larger missiles than normal. Say if a launcher normally carried 10 of a certain size missile you could opt to carry 3 of the next size up and only 1 missile of 2 sizes larger. Or base the decreased number on the missiles mass. This would allow for having "torpedo bomber" type space fighters that just carry a single large missile.
The Missile Launcher system mass is divided evenly between the missiles and the launcher itself. This can be calculated based on the Mass Per Shot of missiles for a given Weapon Mount; 50% of the weight is devoted to missiles, 50% to the launcher. The Launcher alone for the "next size up" would mass 1.5x the mass of the entire weapon mount.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #917
davester65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
The Missile Launcher system mass is divided evenly between the missiles and the launcher itself. This can be calculated based on the Mass Per Shot of missiles for a given Weapon Mount; 50% of the weight is devoted to missiles, 50% to the launcher. The Launcher alone for the "next size up" would mass 1.5x the mass of the entire weapon mount.
Okay, I see where that would be a problem. I was just thinking of the launchers as just being like the modern vertical launcher systems in newer naval warships which are just boxes with individual cells for each missile. I wasn't taking into account the fire control systems as well.

One other idea I had was to have miniature refineries available as habitat options the way you have mini and micro factories.

Oh yeah, another idea I had was allowing someone to install 3 bridge slots and having it count as a bridge for the next larger sized ship. Kind of like you can do for improved sensor suites.

Last edited by davester65; 12-16-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: new idea
Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #918
davester65

Hi, just a quick request. would it be possible under performance profiles to have it so I do not have to assign air or space profiles to a design that I don't want to? If I try do do that the spreadsheet gives me an error message every time I open or save the ship design. It would be for designs with say a fusion torch drive that I didn't design to ever operate in an atmosphere.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 AM   #919
Darkholme

Has anybody had any luck getting this design sheet working in Google Sheets? the auto-convert feature doesn't seem to work on this one in places. I was hoping to make it public with my group and allow the players to manage the ship together and add in upgrades to it as they go, using the worksheet.

It would also be super helpful if I could use it on my chromebook, where there's no open office or excel, just web options.
Darkholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #920
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkholme View Post
Has anybody had any luck getting this design sheet working in Google Sheets? the auto-convert feature doesn't seem to work on this one in places.
That doesn't really surprise me. The sheet is extremely complex, and while it doesn't absolutely need macro support to work it does rely on macros for many of it's more advanced features. I've been wanting to go back and redo the OpenOffice version for years now, and began redoing many of the macros to make it easier to do so, but the complexity of the sheet just made it impractical even with the much better inter-compatibility between OpenOffice and Excel.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet