Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Eddie T

Default Negate Hardened Enhancement?

Is there a way to negate an opponent's Hardened DR enhancement on B47?

It drops an attacker's Armor Divisor one step/level of enhancement. I've looked through the enhancements and limitations in Basic Set and a couple other books, but I've not seen anything. Unless I misread something somewhere.
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Negate Hardened Enhancement?

I don't know of any way of doing this currently. I could imagine a "Softening" effect, but I'd be leery of attaching it to an attack - it would be hard to balance against Armor Divisor.

To build this, I think I'd actually look at Affliction, specifically the Disadvantage option, and even more specifically "Negated Advantage". I'd treat "reduces DR's Hardened level" as, effectively, a negated advantage. So, since Hardened is +20% on a 5-point/level advantage, negating 1 level of Hardened on 1 level of DR is 1 point, and thus worth +1% on Affliction. You'd have to buy the level of DR you wanted to affect, and if you hit someone with more DR than that, only the level you bought would be affected. So, for example, if you had "Softening (1 level of Hardening), 20 points of DR" as a +20% enhancement to Affliction, and you hit someone with 40 points of DR with Hardened 2, you'd get a target that had 20 points of DR with only Hardened 1, and the remaining 20 points with Hardened 2, and attacks against them would treat that as two separate layers of armor.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
PK

It's unclear -- are you looking for some sort of meta-ability, like a "softening ray" that you zap a target with to make them easier to hurt? Or are you trying to build a damaging attack that ignores a few levels of Hardening?

For the former, you'd use Affliction (Negated Advantage). In this case, the "advantage" is actually the premium paid for the Hardened enhancement. For example, Hardened 6 (the maximum) is +120%, which means it adds a premium of 6 points to each level of DR. So "Negated Advantage, Hardened 6 on DR 100" would be negating a 600-point advantage, and would be a +600% enhancement on Affliction. That would be enough to wipe out Hardened on DR up to 100.

While it's a bit more complex, it would be perfectly balanced to make that more flexible by phrasing it generically and then figuring out how much hardened should be reduced based on the DR in question. For example, "Negated Advantage, 60 points of Hardened on DR (+600%)" would let you remove 60 points worth of the Hardened enhancement on whatever DR the person had, averaged out. Since each level of hardened costs 1 point per DR, you'd remove (60 / DR) levels of Hardened, rounded down. So if someone had DR 25 (Hardened 4, +80%), you'd remove 60/25=2 levels of Hardened.

For the latter, I'd be comfortable letting someone buy Armor Divisor with a -50% limitation, "Only to negate Hardened." That way you're not actually dividing someone's DR, but you are bypassing their Hardened levels.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Eddie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
It's unclear -- are you looking for some sort of meta-ability, like a "softening ray" that you zap a target with to make them easier to hurt? Or are you trying to build a damaging attack that ignores a few levels of Hardening?
Yes. :oD

In truth, either scenario but when I wrote it I was thinking about using Hardened DR for one of my Big Bad Guys coming up and how to give him an Achilles' Heel for my players. I was just curious if there was any way in any of the books to do it, whether it's the mythical sword that slices through him or a big kryptonite ray that lets him take damage. Just looking for methods in general as I haven't really decided on the character concept fully yet.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
Yes. :oD

In truth, either scenario but when I wrote it I was thinking about using Hardened DR for one of my Big Bad Guys coming up and how to give him an Achilles' Heel for my players.
In that case it's easy. Just put an accessibility limitation on his DR.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
In that case it's easy. Just put an accessibility limitation on his DR.
Agreed. That'd be a lot easier than forcing your players to come up with some sort of unique attack. Make his DR Hardened against everything except <X>.

For example, I had a gravity-controlling supervillain named Vector with DR 40, halved against energy, Hardened 4 against ranged. So in effect:

DR 40 (Hardened 4) vs ranged physical attacks
DR 40 vs melee physical attacks
DR 20 (Hardened 4) vs ranged energy attacks
DR 20 vs melee energy attacks

A bit complex, but it made sense given its special effect as a "gravity shield" -- it was more effective against things with mass, and able to slightly deflect anything from range. So when the heroes started off throwing their magical spears and TK rocks at him, he seemed almost invulnerable, but then one was able to use his energy sword (and a lucky roll) to nearly one-shot him.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
Eddie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Agreed. That'd be a lot easier than forcing your players to come up with some sort of unique attack. Make his DR Hardened against everything except <X>.
One thing I've learned from these forums is that there are a million ways to skin the cat with GURPS. I'm intrinsically lazy though and if somebody wrote one in the books already, I'm not going to waste much time developing my own unless it just does not fit.

Those times I do have to make my own, simpler is definitely better.

Tags
hardened, negated advantage